Need help windows 8!

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Simon, it really shouldn't boot in safe mode. Since you legally bought it, I would contact microsoft for help. I could tell you some things to check in safe mode, and how to get it to not boot in safe mode. But you might be better off letting them help you. I'd hate to see you lose any personal data.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Simon, it really shouldn't boot in safe mode. Since you legally bought it, I would contact microsoft for help. I could tell you some things to check in safe mode, and how to get it to not boot in safe mode. But you might be better off letting them help you. I'd hate to see you lose any personal data.
Mkay, but I made it boot in safe mode since I always did with windows XP

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Safe mode doesn't run all the drivers and doesn't have network support. It's possible that on the upgrade it needs to go out and check things on the internet, which it can't in safe mode.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
When I boot my PC it start with 2 options
Windows 7
or
Symantec

After the first boot of windows 8 installation there is 4 choices
Windows8
Windows 8 installation
Windows 7
Symantec
(none of these worked, I had to figure out how to make it work so I selected windows 7 and hited CTRL + ALT + DELETE and it said Windows 8 could not complete, both times)

(I walways asked a pro to set it this way so I don't screw everything up)

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Windows 7
or
Symantec

Windows8
Windows 8 installation
Windows 7
Symantec
(none of these worked, I had to figure out how to make it work so I selected windows 7 and hited CTRL + ALT + DELETE and it said Windows 8 could not complete, both times)

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
It might not be safe mode though, IDK

The solution for my issue is nowhere to be found so I asked you guys
(sorry if I annoy you hahaha not my intention)

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
After the first boot, it should've went to windows 8 installation to finish. Can you select that and see if it continues? The fact that that option is still there makes me think the install isn't complete. Can you at least select the windows 7 option and boot to that?

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Not annoying at all. I did support for microsoft after vista came out. But at the same time I'd hate for anything to happen listening to some guy on the internet. That's why since you legally bought it, I'd get the help from microsoft.

wvanellis

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Why can I run Windows 8?!
It is stuck at the Windows 8 logo after the first boot every single time!

Here are my specs...
Make sure that you have no external devices connect (other than usb keyboard/mouse). I had the same problem when I had an external HD connected via esata. When I disconnected everything (other than usb keyboard/mouse), the installation immediately continued. After the install completed, I reconnected the drive, it recognized all external devices; and I haven't had a problem since.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Safe mode doesn't run all the drivers and doesn't have network support. It's possible that on the upgrade it needs to go out and check things on the internet, which it can't in safe mode.
Depends on how you've booted into safe mode. If/when needed, I boot into "safe mode w/ networking support" so I can look up things I need, or download drivers if necessary.

That "Windows 8 installation" boot option is very weird. Like stmav, it also makes me think it didn't properly complete the install for some reason.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Depends on how you've booted into safe mode. If/when needed, I boot into "safe mode w/ networking support" so I can look up things I need, or download drivers if necessary.

That "Windows 8 installation" boot option is very weird. Like stmav, it also makes me think it didn't properly complete the install for some reason.
Well idk what I could have done wrong.. I followed the steps and I'm simply stuck there...

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site

This is true. I was going by most users just boot into the regular safe mode. Someone with some IT experience or knowledge would use the network option.

Looking at your comments this morning not so tired, that just looks like a multiboot option, not a safe mode boot. And that the upgrade somehow didn't take. I hope you got it running or will soon.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Nope, the ones for intel and amd are the same. Windows 8 or Windows 8 pro version. The RT is for ARM.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Windows 7
or
Symantec

Windows8
Windows 8 installation
Windows 7
Symantec

There's something wrong with your MBR (master boot record) What Symantec program are you running that shows up on your boot loader? Is that a Windows Bootloader or a Symantec Bootloader or a 3rd Party Bootloader? I think that Symantec program may be screwing something up.

To be honest, at this point I would just reformat my hard drive and do a new clean installation, rather than spending 100's of hours trying to trouble shoot it.

I also have an AMD laptop running the E-450 APU.

I was dual booting Win7 Pro 64bit and Fedora Linux 17 64bit When i powered my laptop up, it would go to a Grub bootloader and i could select either Win7 or Fedora Linux.

When I upgraded to Win8, I expected Windows to overwrite the MBR and wipe out the Grub bootloader. Every other time I have installed windows 95, XP, Vista, 7, it has written over my MBR and wiped out any Bootloader I had. With Win8 it did not overwrite my MBR. I thought that was really odd. I still have the Grub Bootloader at boot and i can select either Windows or Linux to boot to.

Last edited:

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I had OS X Lion installed on one HDD. Wanted to install W8 on that...

Now the fun starts:
Windows 7 won't read that HDD and OS X won't format it to NTFS...now?

Had to delete the whole drive through Win8 menu, then madeb2 brand new partitions and then installed W8...phew...nothing is easy my friend...

Still having issues..?

Sent from my RaZr HD.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire