The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
10-30-2012 09:34 PM
56 123
tools
    When I boot my PC it start with 2 options
    Windows 7
    or
    Symantec

After the first boot of windows 8 installation there is 4 choices
    Windows8
    Windows 8 installation
    Windows 7
    Symantec
    (none of these worked, I had to figure out how to make it work so I selected windows 7 and hited CTRL + ALT + DELETE and it said Windows 8 could not complete, both times)

(I walways asked a pro to set it this way so I don't screw everything up)
    10-26-2012 12:07 AM
    It might not be safe mode though, IDK

The solution for my issue is nowhere to be found so I asked you guys
    (sorry if I annoy you hahaha not my intention)
    10-26-2012 12:10 AM
    After the first boot, it should've went to windows 8 installation to finish. Can you select that and see if it continues? The fact that that option is still there makes me think the install isn't complete. Can you at least select the windows 7 option and boot to that?
    10-26-2012 12:13 AM
    Not annoying at all. I did support for microsoft after vista came out. But at the same time I'd hate for anything to happen listening to some guy on the internet. That's why since you legally bought it, I'd get the help from microsoft.
    10-26-2012 12:15 AM
    Why can I run Windows 8?!
    It is stuck at the Windows 8 logo after the first boot every single time!

Here are my specs...
    Make sure that you have no external devices connect (other than usb keyboard/mouse). I had the same problem when I had an external HD connected via esata. When I disconnected everything (other than usb keyboard/mouse), the installation immediately continued. After the install completed, I reconnected the drive, it recognized all external devices; and I haven't had a problem since.
    Simon Tupper and X0LARIUM like this.
    10-26-2012 12:16 AM
    I will try again with the option to keep my files, we'll see...
    10-26-2012 12:17 AM
    Safe mode doesn't run all the drivers and doesn't have network support. It's possible that on the upgrade it needs to go out and check things on the internet, which it can't in safe mode.
    Depends on how you've booted into safe mode. If/when needed, I boot into "safe mode w/ networking support" so I can look up things I need, or download drivers if necessary.

That "Windows 8 installation" boot option is very weird. Like stmav, it also makes me think it didn't properly complete the install for some reason.
    10-26-2012 12:25 AM
    Depends on how you've booted into safe mode. If/when needed, I boot into "safe mode w/ networking support" so I can look up things I need, or download drivers if necessary.

That "Windows 8 installation" boot option is very weird. Like stmav, it also makes me think it didn't properly complete the install for some reason.
    Well idk what I could have done wrong.. I followed the steps and I'm simply stuck there...
    10-26-2012 12:45 AM
    I am running Win8 now on an upgrade. Everything went fine.
    10-26-2012 01:35 AM

This is true. I was going by most users just boot into the regular safe mode. Someone with some IT experience or knowledge would use the network option.

Looking at your comments this morning not so tired, that just looks like a multiboot option, not a safe mode boot. And that the upgrade somehow didn't take. I hope you got it running or will soon.
    10-26-2012 08:40 AM
    my processor is AMD is that a problem with W8?
    There are two kinds if Windows 8. One for AMD and one for Intel based processors.
    U need Windows RTM. Not x64-86 structure.

http://m.techradar.com/news/software...or-you-1076505

I think u have the wrong version..that's it..
    Sent from my RaZr HD.
    10-26-2012 08:51 AM
    Nope, the ones for intel and amd are the same. Windows 8 or Windows 8 pro version. The RT is for ARM.
    10-26-2012 08:58 AM
    Nope, the ones for intel and amd are the same. Windows 8 or Windows 8 pro version. The RT is for ARM.
    Oh my bad...mistook ARM for AMD. Plz ignore what I said..

Sent from my RaZr HD.
    10-26-2012 09:00 AM
    When I boot my PC it start with 2 options
    Windows 7
    or
    Symantec

After the first boot of windows 8 installation there is 4 choices
    Windows8
    Windows 8 installation
    Windows 7
    Symantec
    (none of these worked, I had to figure out how to make it work so I selected windows 7 and hited CTRL + ALT + DELETE and it said Windows 8 could not complete, both times)

(I walways asked a pro to set it this way so I don't screw everything up)
    There's something wrong with your MBR (master boot record) What Symantec program are you running that shows up on your boot loader? Is that a Windows Bootloader or a Symantec Bootloader or a 3rd Party Bootloader? I think that Symantec program may be screwing something up.

To be honest, at this point I would just reformat my hard drive and do a new clean installation, rather than spending 100's of hours trying to trouble shoot it.

I also have an AMD laptop running the E-450 APU.

I was dual booting Win7 Pro 64bit and Fedora Linux 17 64bit When i powered my laptop up, it would go to a Grub bootloader and i could select either Win7 or Fedora Linux.

When I upgraded to Win8, I expected Windows to overwrite the MBR and wipe out the Grub bootloader. Every other time I have installed windows 95, XP, Vista, 7, it has written over my MBR and wiped out any Bootloader I had. With Win8 it did not overwrite my MBR. I thought that was really odd. I still have the Grub Bootloader at boot and i can select either Windows or Linux to boot to.
    Last edited by palandri; 10-26-2012 at 09:21 AM.
    aubreyq likes this.
    10-26-2012 09:16 AM
    I had OS X Lion installed on one HDD. Wanted to install W8 on that...

Now the fun starts:
    Windows 7 won't read that HDD and OS X won't format it to NTFS...now?

Had to delete the whole drive through Win8 menu, then madeb2 brand new partitions and then installed W8...phew...nothing is easy my friend...

Still having issues..?

Sent from my RaZr HD.
    10-26-2012 09:55 AM
    I will try again with the option to keep my files, we'll see...
    Your pc should never be booting in safe mode, unless you are trying to remove a virus to install drivers.

I did my upgrade last night from windows 7 to windows 8 pro. Smooth as butter.
    10-26-2012 10:31 AM
    okay I spent most of the night on this and there is no way I could make it work, not there is a microsoft employee controling my PC and he don't have a single clue since everything looks fine
    10-26-2012 12:12 PM
    But I might do a clean install if necessary...
    10-26-2012 12:13 PM
    Soooo the rep from microsoft says that my file might be corrupted since everything is fine and all the other costumers who had this issue got their problem fixed except me. (I always have that kind of luck when I try a new product) hahaha oh well I'll keep you updated.
    palandri likes this.
    10-26-2012 12:48 PM
    Soooo the rep from microsoft says that my file might be corrupted since everything is fine and all the other costumers who had this issue got their problem fixed except me. (I always have that kind of luck when I try a new product) hahaha oh well I'll keep you updated.
    ouch, i hope u can get it going eventually, im in BC otherwise id drop by to help u :P
    10-26-2012 05:49 PM
    okay I spent 6 hours trying to fix it, microsoft tried to do it themselves from where they were and nothing... so I guess I'm screwed...
    10-26-2012 06:50 PM
    I would suggest booting with a Linux on a USB key then backup your files and do a clean install (format everything). Did you burned a dvd widh win 8 before trying to install it first?
    10-26-2012 07:13 PM
    I feel ya mate. What you could simply do is make a bootable DVD. Clean the partition/drive u want it to be installed on and then install it.

Sent from my RaZr HD.
    10-26-2012 10:33 PM
    @Simon Tupper: First thing's first, are you still able to boot into your Windows 7 installation? I can't tell based on the posts.
    10-27-2012 12:17 AM
    @Simon Tupper: First thing's first, are you still able to boot into your Windows 7 installation? I can't tell based on the posts.
    Yes I managed to get it back... I spent the night with a guy from microsoft he went through all possible options and he we callback at 11pm(eastern) today (october27)... I spent 12-15 hours with microsoft employees on the phone and chatting in the last 30 hours... This is way too complicated... tomorrow we try to do a clean install on a formatted computer for the second time (had to reinstall W7)... we also went through all the components of my PC to make sure that it was not related to the hardware... everything is fine. I'm just unlucky hahahaha
    10-27-2012 04:45 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD