Ditching Microsoft Office for...

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft Office!

I have a copy of MS Office 2007 that I could install, however, I want (but don't need) Office 2013.

Well, I have my copy of Windows 8 which comes with the SkyDrive app. I also have the SkyDrive website pinned to my taskbar. Right clicking on the icon allows me to create new Office documents without installing additional software. And of course those documents will sync to SkyDrive and sync to my Windows Phone.

All that made me wonder, why buy Office 2013 or even bother installing 2007? Of course the full blown Office suite is better but going SkyDrive only should fulfill all my needs without the additional hassle of managing an offline file.

I'm gonna try relying on SkyDrive for my Word/Excel and see how long before I break down and install 2007, lol.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
If you do not require advanced features there isn't any need to have desktop versions of Office anymore.

I personally require a full version as I do some advanced work with Excel and Word that I cannot do with the online versions.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
If you do not require advanced features there isn't any need to have desktop versions of Office anymore

I'll repeat what I said earlier: offline access. If you don't install the Desktop application, you cannot access documents offline. I do believe the Desktop version will at least cache recently used documents.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99