How important is a touch screen on a Windows 8 laptop?

snyderman3001

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
My Mac Mini from 2006 finally died this year, so I need a new home computer. This will be my only computer, so a tablet won't cut it. I've decided to go back to Windows, mostly because of price.

Looking around I've found a Sony Vaio with a 14" touch screen, Core i7 processor, 8gb ram, and 1tb hard drive for $999 at Best Buy. They've also got an HP with similar specs but no touch screen on sale for Black Friday for $630. That's a significant difference.

So, for those of you who have used Windows 8 on a laptop, how important do you think the touch screen is? I don't want to skimp now just to regret not having one in a couple years (I keep computers a while, 5 plus years).

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I find it fine without a touch screen, only downside is a couple of the apps won't work without a touch screen. But then I'm not a power user by any stretch.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I bought Windows 8 Pro x64, and I'm running it on a 4-year-old HP laptop: Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P7350 @ 2.00GHz
Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS

It runs faster than Windows 7.

I do plan to get a Surface Pro or another new laptop/convertible/ultrabook with a touchscreen and Ivy Bridge processor next year. The only reason I haven't gotten anything yet is because I want to compare Surface Pro with the devices available from the OEMs. I also think the prices of the OEM products will be cheaper once Surface Pro is released.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I find it very important.

I'm not saying that W8 is bad without touch screen. But when on a regular screen it's just a faster, more efficient, Windows.

On a touch screen it's freaking magic.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I find it very important.

I'm not saying that W8 is bad without touch screen. But when on a regular screen it's just a faster, more efficient, Windows.

On a touch screen it's freaking magic.
Windows 8 runs fine on a traditional desktop/laptop. However, I would not recommend buying one if you're buying new hardware anyway.

If you getting new hardware, I would definitely recommend buying hardware that has touchscreen to take full advantage of Windows 8 features.

snyderman3001

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I find it fine without a touch screen, only downside is a couple of the apps won't work without a touch screen. But then I'm not a power user by any stretch.

What apps won't work?

I'm leaning towards spending the extra money for touch screen but need some specifics to sell the idea to the Mrs.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The Surface is the poster child of why we need touch and type. In fact it sets the bar in terms of what the Win8 experience should be like. I suspect the Lenovo twist is the best example of this on a laptop.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
If I were buying a laptop running Windows 8, it would have a touch screen, though if I were to buy anything, it would have to have, as part of its configuration, the ability to become a tablet.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm running a two year old Dell i3 on Windows 8 64bit and the boot time as well general speed is spectacular. I split my time evenly between metro and desktop and most of my "apps" are merely shortcuts from my desktop anyways so my transition has been pretty painless. But like others have said, the experience is much nicer on my Surface.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo