Just got Win8 tablet in. Does Win8 have antivirus software built in or should I buy some?

csiguy1

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Just got Win8 tablet in. Does Win8 have antivirus software built in or should I buy some? Been a long time since I have used Windows and I need to know if I need to buy Antivirus software before I use the machine or is some built into the OS? If I need to buy some, what do you suggest?

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
If its a full Win 8 OS you would need to load antivirus software on it. Not sure if you can load that type of software on a Win 8 RT device.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
If its a full Win 8 OS you would need to load antivirus software on it. Not sure if you can load that type of software on a Win 8 RT device.
Full Windows 8 comes with Windows Defender and can install (may be pre-loaded, not sure as I have Windows RT) Microsoft Security Essentials. These are free and less resource intensive than most other 3rd party anti virus software. I have been running them exclusively since MS launched them without getting a single virus.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Windows Defender is by no means an antivirus software. Its purpose is to detect Malware. OP: You can do whatever your think is best but I recommend you at very least install a free antivirus package such as AVG. I personally use Kaspersky Internet Security and its worth every penny.

Aggemam

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Windows Defender is by no means an antivirus software. Its purpose is to detect Malware. OP: You can do whatever your think is best but I recommend you at very least install a free antivirus package such as AVG. I personally use Kaspersky Internet Security and its worth every penny.

Not true: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Defender)

"Windows Defender, formerly known as Microsoft AntiSpyware, is a software product that helps combat malware. Windows Defender was initially an antispyware program; it is included with Windows Vista and Windows 7 and is available as a free download for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. In Windows 8, however, it is upgraded to an antivirus program."

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Not true: (Windows Defender - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

"Windows Defender, formerly known as Microsoft AntiSpyware, is a software product that helps combat malware. Windows Defender was initially an antispyware program; it is included with Windows Vista and Windows 7 and is available as a free download for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. In Windows 8, however, it is upgraded to an antivirus program."

Seems your right. Didn't know they did that.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
The Windows 8 version has not yet been tested, since it is new. However, the Windows 7 version recently got failing marks. Microsoft Security Essentials loses AV-TEST certification ? The Register

I don't use it on my PC.

We used it exclusively on my wife's PCs for years and have not gotten a single virus. Is it the best in a labratory setting? Maybe not, but in real world use, the price is right and it works. Now if someone is prone to risky behavior on the internet, they should probably invest in something more, but for average users Windows Defender/Security Essentials is all they need.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
We used it exclusively on my wife's PCs for years and have not gotten a single virus. Is it the best in a labratory setting? Maybe not, but in real world use, the price is right and it works. Now if someone is prone to risky behavior on the internet, they should probably invest in something more, but for average users Windows Defender/Security Essentials is all they need.
Here is a list of products that are currently certified for home use in Windows 7, some of which are free. Many of these products are compatible with Windows 8.

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Don't install anything else. Just use the Windows 8 built in Defender, which includes anti-virus (it is now combined with Security Essentials). Also, just be smart about browsing and don't install anything you don't know. I've always found that installing other anti-virus software bogs the computer down without providing any additional security.

anilraj

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Here is a trick I have been using for last 6 months.
It is not fool proof, but it helps a lot.

Create a new account as "Administrator" and make your regular account as "User".
Put a password (easy password would do) on the Administrator account.
And remove Install permissions from your User account.

That is it.
Always login to User account.
This trick + the Windows defender will help you a lot.

Whenever a malware tries to install something it will ask for administrative password and you can ignore it.

Having said that, I can't emphasis enough on the need for backups.
Always backup your data.
In spite of the above tricks, I had virus twice.
All I did was to remove the User and re-add the User.
The data was not lost, because I had the backup.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte