Windows 8 / Windows RT

SlayerSpecial

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I pretty tired of the vocal minority whining about Windows 8, some blogger hit the nail by saying these people whine because it's not an iPhone or Windows 7, people fear change, fear leaving the confort zone, i really hope MS doesn't go back to the boring grid scheme, who dont like it should just stick to 7 and IE6 if they want.

Now that I cleared that out, let me say I'm pissed with MS. Like, really! For *. sake, I'm an early adopter, and you mistreat me bad, I mean, I bought an Omnia 7 then a Lumia 800, than 2 Lumia 710 for both my parents, than a Win 8 Pro upgrade licence to my father, then a Surface and the app you made available for Win 8 / RT is not compatible with WP 7.x devices ?! Really ? Bad call!

Rant (almost) over.

If someone knows a way to fix this, with a 3rd party app or something, do tell. Me and my father are pissed with MS for this, this is so not cool.

Last edited:

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
What do you want the app for? I mean doesn't the phone backup all music/videos to Skydrive which you can see from the Surface/8 anyway?

And doesn't the phone appear as a flash drive if plugged directly in to copy files onto it.

Perhaps I'm missing some key thing the app does that you need it for.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't really get it. I think you are confusing Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8. What do you want to run on what?

You can't run Windows 8 apps on Windows Phone 8 when they weren't adapted for it. And the fact that Windows Phone 8 apps don't run on Windows Phone 7 is known for months and there are hundreds of threads about it. It is also known for even more months, that you can't run Win7 software on Windows RT.

So, I understand you don't like Microsoft for it (even though I understand why Microsoft decided to do this) but it is really, really old news.

SlayerSpecial

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Err... obviously I don't want to run WP apps on PCs/Tablets. Come on, I'm not that dense.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear, English is not my first language. The set is: entire family with Win 7.x phone, because I said it rocks. Family buys Windows 8 for their PCs (again... me), I buy a Surface RT. They don't talk to each other (Win 8; Win RT <=> WP 7.x). Not cool.

I was hoping that with 7.8 it would work, but on Windows Phone's RT app review there are people saying it still doesn't work. Why is MS acting like WP7 never existed ? I'll obviously get a WP8 sometime, it's not because of ignoring it that it will make me buy one earlier, as a matter a fact is the opposite.

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry. I am trying to understand what you are saying but I can't seem to follow. Let me try this.

You said:
the app you made available for Win 8 / RT is not compatible with WP 7.x devices ?!
No, it doesn't sync anything, in fact it doesn't do anything. My Surface simply can't recognize my Lumia. At all.
They don't talk to each other (Win 8; Win RT <=> WP 7.x).

So you got apps on your windows 8 desktop and/or surface RT (which by the way, will share app purchases between desktop and RT tablet using the same live account, I know this first hand). and they are not compatible with your phone. however you said that isn't what you meant with ... obviously I don't want to run WP apps on PCs/Tablets.

So now I think you aren't talking about apps going between the 3 platforms themselves.

You said they don't sync or recognize eachother. How are you trying to connect them? blue tooth? USB? WiFi home network? If you are talking about sharing files, as long as you have the same windows live account on both devices, you can share via skydrive very easily. Or you can just make a public shared folder on a skydrive account and share from that but it'll be public (though im not 100% all the privacy settings related to that, there may be more). You should be able to plug your device in via the USB into the desktop or tablet and have it show up as a device and you can access it via my computer. You can't plug your surface or desktop into your phone though if that is what you're looking for.

You say they don't talk to eachother, can you give an example of what you are expecting to happen and what is actually happening in that situation so I can better understand your situation and try and help?

Iumia

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I think Slayer's referring to the app called 'My Windows Phone', which is downloaded from the Windows store on Win8/ RT, and this doesn't not recognise WP 7.X phones.

The_Traveler

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I just looked up the review of this app on the store... it's getting a lot of one stars. LOL
You could use Zune on windows 8 desktop/pro but not on RT so yeah I can see why WP7 users would be pissed. On the other hand, you can use Skydrive to sync, but not as well as wp8. Hopefully 7.8 update will enhance SkyDrive integration.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I pretty tired of the vocal minority whining about Windows 8, some blogger hit the nail by saying these people whine because it's not an iPhone or Windows 7, people fear change, fear leaving the confort zone, i really hope MS doesn't go back to the boring grid scheme, who dont like it should just stick to 7 and IE6 if they want.

Now that I cleared that out, let me say I'm pissed with MS. Like, really! For *. sake, I'm an early adopter, and you mistreat me bad, I mean, I bought an Omnia 7 then a Lumia 800, than 2 Lumia 710 for both my parents, than a Win 8 Pro upgrade licence to my father, then a Surface and the app you made available for Win 8 / RT is not compatible with WP 7.x devices ?! Really ? Bad call!

Rant (almost) over.

If someone knows a way to fix this, with a 3rd party app or something, do tell. Me and my father are pissed with MS for this, this is so not cool.

Unfortunately, the marketing (that you believed) is only partly true when new devices are released. The marketing said 'all devices running windows' and 'your files, everywhere'.

Unfortunately, its just the -idea- that spawned w8, rt, wp8, but not the implementation. Marketing ran with it. People (you) bought it, and then realized that w8, wp8, rt, 'pro' (whatever that is now) are not compatible in the sense they were marketed. All possibly good operating systems, but lacking in similar regards.

Syncing:

Ohhh my. Syncing is not uploading, then downloading , then opening with an approved app, then skydriving links to friends, and expecting to have LTE/wifi everywhere. Sync is still the last great frontier for android, ios, and windows. If they ever get it right, threads like this will disappear.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs