Limited Network - On Windows 8 PC and Surface RT

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
When I updating stuff, steaming a video, playing an online game, right in the middle the network becomes limited and it stops working. My home just has a network with passwords (we have multiple routers). This happens on my Surface RT and on my brand new Windows 8 Vizio CA27T-A5. This never happens on my windows phone and on my mac. I switched from a mac, and so far, I'm pretty annoyed. Please help ASAP!!

theprawn

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Have you installed the latest updates (out yesterday)? MS is aware of the issue, I believe yesterdays patch was supposed to address it.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Have you installed the latest updates (out yesterday)? MS is aware of the issue, I believe yesterdays patch was supposed to address it.

I did, still every five minutes when I'm downloading something, it goes limited, then I have to troubleshoot it. This is so annoying.

theta orionis

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
FWIW....had a similar issue but in my case it was the router. I had recently installed Win8 pro and thought there was a problem. From what I've learned recently routers often start acting hunky rather than just stop working. Just a thought.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
FWIW....had a similar issue but in my case it was the router. I had recently installed Win8 pro and thought there was a problem. From what I've learned recently routers often start acting hunky rather than just stop working. Just a thought.

So what do you suggest I do? For example, I'm installing a steam game and it stops downloading every 2 minutes, so I have to troubleshoot, takes a minute, and works again. Then I go back go steam and do the same thing, same thing happens. If this issue isn't resolved in 10 days, I'm returning it and going to buy a Mac. Because I don't have this problem on my old Mac.

Ted Ritsick

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
So what do you suggest I do? For example, I'm installing a steam game and it stops downloading every 2 minutes, so I have to troubleshoot, takes a minute, and works again. Then I go back go steam and do the same thing, same thing happens. If this issue isn't resolved in 10 days, I'm returning it and going to buy a Mac. Because I don't have this problem on my old Mac.

Have you tried cycling your router or just turning off wifi for a few minutes? I have this problem on my dumpy two year old laptop sometimes and that fixes the problem. Also, try having the connection set to manual. A bit of an inconvenience, but I found I have the problem with limited less when I manually connect instead of autoconnect to my school network.

anon(5340442)

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
It did this to me when I first upgraded my laptop, I think it had something to do with my wifi drivers, but cant remember for sure.
Check: Metered connection - I shut all this stuff off, I have a 60GB monthly cap and while I approach it, I have never gone over.
I found this on another forum, see if helps with your connection (I normally have my laptop plugged in, so I know my power settings are set for high performance).
1. Open Network Sharing Center
2. Click Change Adapter Settings
3 Right click on WiFi and choose properties
4 Click Configure
5 Choose Advanced
6 From the list below choose minimum power consumption and change value to disable
7 Click Ok.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
It did this to me when I first upgraded my laptop, I think it had something to do with my wifi drivers, but cant remember for sure.
Check: Metered connection - I shut all this stuff off, I have a 60GB monthly cap and while I approach it, I have never gone over.
I found this on another forum, see if helps with your connection (I normally have my laptop plugged in, so I know my power settings are set for high performance).
1. Open Network Sharing Center
2. Click Change Adapter Settings
3 Right click on WiFi and choose properties
4 Click Configure
5 Choose Advanced
6 From the list below choose minimum power consumption and change value to disable
7 Click Ok.

You sure this works? I even did command prompt like lak said on microsoft answers.

anon(5340442)

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
So that is what was happening to me where the connection was limited, inconsistant and slow. I know I changed all my power/network settings for the highest performance possible and disabled anything relating to limiting downloads. You shouldnt have the driver issues I had because your system is new and built for Windows 8, but maybe go to the device manager see if there is an update for the wifi/network drivers or is it using the default MS driver instead of the actual one for your network controller? I think thats what I had to do, change it from MS to Intel.

Im not at home, so I wont be able to check on my laptop.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
So that is what was happening to me where the connection was limited, inconsistant and slow. I know I changed all my power/network settings for the highest performance possible and disabled anything relating to limiting downloads. You shouldnt have the driver issues I had because your system is new and built for Windows 8, but maybe go to the device manager see if there is an update for the wifi/network drivers or is it using the default MS driver instead of the actual one for your network controller? I think thats what I had to do, change it from MS to Intel.

Im not at home, so I wont be able to check on my laptop.

Thanks. So complicated. Didn't have to deal with this on my Mac. But ill try it.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
From this site:
Windows reports that my connection is "Limited."
This means the PC has successfully connected to the router, but the PC wasn't assigned a valid IP address, so you can't actually get to the Internet. If you're connected to a home network, try restarting the router. If you're connected to a domain network or a public network, contact the technical support for that network.

[h=3]Note[/h]
  • PCs running Windows RT or Windows 8 can't join a domain. You can only join a domain if your PC is running Windows 8 Pro or Windows 8 Enterprise.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
From this site:
Windows reports that my connection is "Limited."
This means the PC has successfully connected to the router, but the PC wasn't assigned a valid IP address, so you can't actually get to the Internet. If you're connected to a home network, try restarting the router. If you're connected to a domain network or a public network, contact the technical support for that network.

[h=3]Note[/h]
  • PCs running Windows RT or Windows 8 can't join a domain. You can only join a domain if your PC is running Windows 8 Pro or Windows 8 Enterprise.

So you want me to upgrade to windows 8 pro? Or restart my router?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro