Outlook.com and POP mail (why I may not migrate to WP8 afterall)

architxt

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I've just discovered - after migrating over various email accounts from Gmail to Outlook.com - that Outlook.com only checks POP mail every 30 minutes. I can't click a button and trigger it to check.

This is extraordinary. I appreciate that this isn't a business product, but having to wait 30 minutes for POP email is too long for personal use too. Imagine getting to the airport and realising you don't have your e-ticket and asking your partner to email it through, and waiting up to 30 mins to receive it.

This has put me off comitting to Win 8 and Win Phone 8 as I had planned to.

Is there a workaround for this? I actually like the interface very much and would love to stick to the plan.

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I've just discovered - after migrating over various email accounts from Gmail to Outlook.com - that Outlook.com only checks POP mail every 30 minutes. I can't click a button and trigger it to check.

This is extraordinary. I appreciate that this isn't a business product, but having to wait 30 minutes for POP email is too long for personal use too. Imagine getting to the airport and realising you don't have your e-ticket and asking your partner to email it through, and waiting up to 30 mins to receive it.

This has put me off comitting to Win 8 and Win Phone 8 as I had planned to.

Is there a workaround for this? I actually like the interface very much and would love to stick to the plan.
i don't know the differences between email types but i have yahoo and Hotmail and they both have a sync button when you open them up if you can't wait 30 mins. Or say for the ticket thing what about uploading to skydrive or box? Isn't that instant?

Andygoes

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
What POP3 email provider are you trying to use? Windows 8 Mail app doesn't support POP3 accounts at all, so everything would have to be routed through Outlook or Gmail. In case you weren't aware, Outlook.com is also an email service that works very nicely with Win8, WP8, iOS and Android for IMAP and/or Exchange Active Sync depending on the device. Email messages to your @outlook.com address will show up within seconds.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
"There is a refresh button which triggers the sync as zeroplanetz pointed out."

That's if you didn't port Gmail to Outlook.com and just add Gmail account to WP by itself. Outlook.com is almost instantly with emails from your Outlook.com but it takes forever to retrieve other POP email accounts within outlook.com. I added all my POP email accounts to outlook.com to save battery, since I only need one account to sync instead of four email accounts, but other email accounts take long to come in Outlook.com like OP said.

Andygoes

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
"There is a refresh button which triggers the sync as zeroplanetz pointed out."

That's if you didn't port Gmail to Outlook.com and just add Gmail account to WP by itself. Outlook.com is almost instantly with emails from your Outlook.com but it takes forever to retrieve other POP email accounts within outlook.com. I added all my POP email accounts to outlook.com to save battery, since I only need one account to sync instead of four email accounts, but other email accounts take long to come in Outlook.com like OP said.

Alternatively you could have set them up on your phone instead of outlook.com and then set the refresh intervals independently to help preserve battery.

Andygoes

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Well, if each account is configured individually on the phone then you can set them to push, refresh every 15/30/60 minutes, or only manually. If all your accounts were set up for that final option then it wouldn't kill any of your battery because they would never contact the server until you told them to.

architxt

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Alternatively you could have set them up on your phone instead of outlook.com and then set the refresh intervals independently to help preserve battery.

Does this mean that POP retrieval on a WP is quicker than outlook.com's 30 minutes? I don't own a WP yet...

And that if you sync on your WP and then go to outlook.com to check mail, the latest batch will be there too? If so, I one can always trigger POP retrieval using one's WP phone.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what you're talking about. I can have almost instant messaging with all of my accounts on phone, RT, computer. Gmail, hotmail, live and Outlook. I have set up for push and you can always refresh for absolute up to the minute emails.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Does this mean that POP retrieval on a WP is quicker than outlook.com's 30 minutes? I don't own a WP yet...

And that if you sync on your WP and then go to outlook.com to check mail, the latest batch will be there too? If so, I one can always trigger POP retrieval using one's WP phone.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Still long on WP8. It seems to be the same 30 mins like you said. It's instantly if you didn't migrate your POP email accounts (Gmail, Yahoo, Godaddy, etc) to Outlook.com

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Outlook.com and currently Gmail offer EAS support. You can also set it up "as items arrive" instead of every 15, 30...ect...
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

architxt

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what you're talking about. I can have almost instant messaging with all of my accounts on phone, RT, computer. Gmail, hotmail, live and Outlook. I have set up for push and you can always refresh for absolute up to the minute emails.

• Outlook.com automatically checks your other account for new messages every 30 minutes, and can receive up to 60 messages at a time. The remaining messages will be included in the next automatic refresh.
  • The maximum size of an email message, including attachments, is 25 MB.
  • You can add up to 13 POP accounts to Outlook.com.

From: Send and receive email from other accounts in Outlook.com - Microsoft Windows Help

architxt

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft needs to change that 30 mins interval. I guess your best bet is don't use outlook.com to check your gmail.

I'm planning to migrate over to as many Microsoft products as possible, email being one of the key ones. And then get myself a Windows Phone :)

I could switch back to Gmail, yes, but I like the outlook.com web interface. And save myself the hassle of switching back too.

architxt

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Outlook.com and currently Gmail offer EAS support. You can also set it up "as items arrive" instead of every 15, 30...ect...
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

Are Google discontinuing EAS support soon?

If not, can if I have all my POP account accessible via Google... can I then use Outlook.com to access the same?

LazySunday

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Its the same thing with gmail as well... if you link you other email like yahoo to gmail, it checks once in an hour, but you can force check it... This is one of the pending request at outlook.com

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Its the same thing with gmail as well... if you link you other email like yahoo to gmail, it checks once in an hour, but you can force check it... This is one of the pending request at outlook.com

That's not really true. GMail "learns" how much mail you are getting from your pop account and will adjust the time it checks your pop account. I have seen is much less than 30, usually around 12 min.

I don't have pop accounts linked to my outlook.com, but if it's 30 minutes, that is another example of the immaturity of Outlook.com. It has a lot of potential, but MS needs to beef up some features.

LazySunday

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
That's not really true. GMail "learns" how much mail you are getting from your pop account and will adjust the time it checks your pop account. I have seen is much less than 30, usually around 12 min.

I agree with you. But, I noticed that if you don't keep on pressing the sync button, it establishes a comfort zone at around one check per hour...

ninny1176

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I actually forward my GMail to Outlook and have always gotten my mail instantly (or within a minute or 2). I used the Outlook.com to "pull" my existing mail in (that part takes forever, so be patient) and then setup GMail's forward option to push incoming mail to Outlook.com - this has been working great for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077