Outlook.com and POP mail (why I may not migrate to WP8 afterall)

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I actually forward my GMail to Outlook and have always gotten my mail instantly (or within a minute or 2). I used the Outlook.com to "pull" my existing mail in (that part takes forever, so be patient) and then setup GMail's forward option to push incoming mail to Outlook.com - this has been working great for me.

Again, that only works as fast as gmail pulls in your email. If you need to have your pop email on your phone, of course, you can set it up as a separate account, but the quickest it will check is every 15 minutes and that will use extra battery life. If your pop email has imap, you can set up an external imap server to push your email to your phone almost immediately. I'm sure there are others, but I use nuevasync.com and it does a very good job with imap email, almost instant response. Yes, it costs $30/year and yes, you shouldn't have to pay for this functionality because it "should" be built into Windows phone. But it isn't so for now, that is the best option.

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I have three emails on my phone individually and all set for different times. My battery lasts all day for me and I'm a medium to heavy user I would say. Now once a week I do soft rest my phone because there's leaks somewhere so if I don't then I end up with like 5hours of life. But when I do I go to bed with around 50% battery life. Best option for the battery issue I've found.

architxt

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Quick question...

When I get my Lumia 920 and set up Mail to access my Outlook.com account, will I also get mail from the POP accounts I set up via Outlook.com? Will mail be always synced between outlook.com and mail on my Lumia.

Cheers,

Lawrence

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Quick question...

When I get my Lumia 920 and set up Mail to access my Outlook.com account, will I also get mail from the POP accounts I set up via Outlook.com? Will mail be always synced between outlook.com and mail on my Lumia.

Cheers,

Lawrence

Quick answer, yes

architxt

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Thanks.

On Microsoft's support forums they have said this about the WP8 Mail app:

• The Mail app will not let you create, rename, or delete folders.
  • The Mail app and the phone will only be able to send using the outlook.com address.

The second point is a concern.

I'm going to set up a dummy POP mail and a test outlook.com account and head over to a shop to test all this on a Lumia.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Thanks.

On Microsoft's support forums they have said this about the WP8 Mail app:

• The Mail app will not let you create, rename, or delete folders.
  • The Mail app and the phone will only be able to send using the outlook.com address.

The second point is a concern.

I'm going to set up a dummy POP mail and a test outlook.com account and head over to a shop to test all this on a Lumia.

I Outlook.com, you can set your default sending email address. It will set it for both the computer and your device.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
A work around for the 30 min wait time: Instead of setting up Outlook.com to pull emails from a POP3 account, setup the POP3 account to auto FORWARD all mail to your Outlook.com account.

The downside of this: You can't reply as the POP3 account from the Outlook account.

architxt

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
In the end I got myself a Sony Xperia Z running Android. But given its size and fragility I managed to crack the screen and render the phone useless. Cost to get it replaced (as Sony appear not have spare parts in Australia): $385. I declined the offer.

I've just ordered a Lumia 620. The reason for this, apart from wanting to try WP8, is the size. I want as small phone in my pocket and not a slab. All the Lumia's I've handled in shops seem solid.

I'm a bit concerned about how I'll manage various POP email accounts, which I have tried to figure out here and other forums, but have decided not to worry about it. If I can't get my work email delivered then... I won't do any work when I'm out of the office. A good thing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss