>>>>> UPDATED <<<<<<

Hey guys! Thanks again for your input, an updated ModernCalc has now hit the store. I think this release should cover everything mentioned!

• Custom color schemes
    • Programmable buttons
    • No more scrolling, I've moved to ad from the center to create more room
    • Made use of the AppBar
    • Keyboard support

http://apps.microsof...56-388a8a9b60c6

Let me know if I can do anything else for the app! What do I need to do to make ModernCal your go to calculator?
    Last edited by berty6294; 04-24-2013 at 10:04 AM.
    04-04-2013 11:09 AM
    One feature I keep missing in most calculator apps is working with fractions. I had an old Radio Shack scientific actuator that had it and it was wonderful. The button was "a b/c", so you could enter 1 "a b/c" 4 "a b/c" 5 "a b/c" would be 1 4/5 or just 4 "a b/c" 5 would mean 4/5 then you could do whatever operation you wanted. You could even hit the button on a decimal number and it would convert back to fraction or vise verse.

So 4 "a b/c" 5 then equal, then "a b/c" again would result in .8. Hit "a b/c" again and it would display 4/5.

Enter 8 "a b/c" 5, equal, would show 1 3/5, hit "a b/c" again and it would show 1.6

I would love to see that in a calculator for Windows and Windows Phone.
    04-04-2013 12:10 PM
    One feature I keep missing in most calculator apps is working with fractions. I had an old Radio Shack scientific actuator that had it and it was wonderful. The button was "a b/c", so you could enter 1 "a b/c" 4 "a b/c" 5 "a b/c" would be 1 4/5 or just 4 "a b/c" 5 would mean 4/5 then you could do whatever operation you wanted. You could even hit the button on a decimal number and it would convert back to fraction or vise verse.

So 4 "a b/c" 5 then equal, then "a b/c" again would result in .8. Hit "a b/c" again and it would display 4/5.

Enter 8 "a b/c" 5, equal, would show 1 3/5, hit "a b/c" again and it would show 1.6

I would love to see that in a calculator for Windows and Windows Phone.
    That's something I can do! Thank you so much for your input! Visually is there anything you think I should change or add?
    04-04-2013 12:16 PM
    Visually... You're working a tough environment (modern - full screen). Have you had the pleasure of reading the Windows 8 UX Guidelines for Windows Store apps?

I find a lot of programmers haven't even read the older Windows User Experience Interaction Guidelines for Windows 7 (Desktop programs). I did many moons ago when it was for XP, that was a thick tombe, when I was helping a programmer understand why their program... how should I say it... was bollocks.
    04-05-2013 10:15 AM
    The tile image is rough. I'd try to clean it up if possible.
    04-05-2013 10:35 AM
    Visually... You're working a tough environment (modern - full screen). Have you had the pleasure of reading the Windows 8 UX Guidelines for Windows Store apps?

I find a lot of programmers haven't even read the older Windows User Experience Interaction Guidelines for Windows 7 (Desktop programs). I did many moons ago when it was for XP, that was a thick tombe, when I was helping a programmer understand why their program... how should I say it... was bollocks.
    I just read the first 20 pages, incredible read! Extremely useful! Thank you for sharing that, I'm going to spend my night tonight reading all 314 pages!
    04-05-2013 10:37 AM
    The tile image is rough. I'd try to clean it up if possible.
    I did notice that, thank you! I'm going to clean it up for my next release. Also I've decided to make the four buttons underneath the main calculator custom so the user will be able to set those buttons to whichever they prefer. Also bringing the ability for the user to change color themes!
    jmerrey likes this.
    04-05-2013 10:39 AM
    Quick feedback after using it for five minutes. I have this installed on my PC running Win8 Pro. It doesn't work with the numeric keypad. Also the main numbers keys don't work. It is completely mouse based which makes it usability a little hindered. Also, if possible you can add the use of the "esc" key to clear the results being shown. Will get back with more detailed feedback after I have used it more.
    04-12-2013 03:45 AM
    Updated!

@Vikram, I just saw your comment. I will definitely fix that for next release!
    Vikram Dinesh likes this.
    04-19-2013 03:14 PM
    Color scheme: It should default to the OS color scheme on start, but retain the scheme if the user changes it (you might want to consider only listing the OS color schemes, some of those available are a bit "wild").

On second thought, it should only use the OS color scheme.
    berty6294 likes this.
    04-20-2013 09:39 AM
    Color scheme: It should default to the OS color scheme on start, but retain the scheme if the user changes it (you might want to consider only listing the OS color schemes, some of those available are a bit "wild").

I like that idea! Thank you!
    04-20-2013 10:54 AM
    Quick feedback after using it for five minutes. I have this installed on my PC running Win8 Pro. It doesn't work with the numeric keypad. Also the main numbers keys don't work. It is completely mouse based which makes it usability a little hindered. Also, if possible you can add the use of the "esc" key to clear the results being shown. Will get back with more detailed feedback after I have used it more.
    Updated! Includes everything you mentioned and more!

I looked into this, it turns out there is no API available to get the users color scheme. :/
    Vikram Dinesh likes this.
    04-24-2013 10:07 AM
    Updated! Includes everything you mentioned and more!
    Excellent, thanks a lot. It has become so much more usable now. Will use it regularly and update you with feedback. Cheers.
    04-25-2013 01:17 AM
    Excellent, thanks a lot. It has become so much more usable now. Will use it regularly and update you with feedback. Cheers.
    Awesome! Thank you in advance for your extra feedback!
    04-25-2013 10:57 AM
    Nice app! Thanks a lot.
    berty6294 likes this.
    05-07-2013 12:45 AM
    this app will definitely help me in my studies xoxo
    02-10-2014 12:04 AM