How Do I Go Back To Windows 7?

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Trying to be a nice guy for my better half, I bought and installed the Windows 8 upgrade on her Acer netbook. Only to find out after all that work that this netbook doesn't meet the resolution requirements for Windows 8. So of course none of the apps will open because of this. Why does Microsoft allow to download and install an OS when they know it's not gonna work? Can't they tell from their end that their OS is not compatible with my hardware? This is very irritating! I'm calling tech support and hopefully get a refund cause this is crap. Is it possible to roll back to Windows 7? If so how? What's the easiest way?

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I dont see how its Microsoft's fault that you didnt read the system requirements. There is no way to roll back an operating system. The only thing u can do is backup your data and use your recovery partition/ discs. This is a better option anyway using an upgrade rather then a full install always leaves u with a messed up registry.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I dont see how its Microsoft's fault....

....This is a better option anyway using an upgrade rather then a full install always leaves u with a messed up registry.

answering your own question. good show.

op, if you want 7, buy a retail disk and install after downloading your specific hardwares drivers from the manufacturer. install, install drivers, then update security and drivers as needed.

roll backs only work from disk images, which it sounds like you may not have.

is there a recovery partition on the machine ?

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

LoL what? 1000% out of context, but ncie try. It's not Microsoft's fault he didn't read the system requirements. I'm going to have to assume he didnt run the update assistant either, because this should have told him that the apps would not work. I still don't agree that it's Microsoft's fault that you're registry get's a little messed up from a OS upgrade. They have no control over how 3rd parties write their software, and that's usually what get's messed up. If you will notice the OS will boot and work properly, tho some other software may require a re-install, or will not work. Again the upgrade assistant should give you a clue as to what hardware/software currently on you're system that will not work.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site

op, if you want 7, buy a retail disk and install after downloading your specific hardwares drivers from the manufacturer. install, install drivers, then update security and drivers as needed.

roll backs only work from disk images, which it sounds like you may not have.

is there a recovery partition on the machine ?
Nope, it's a netbook so no disk drive.
I guess step one it's gonna be talking to tech support and see what they say.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
LoL what? 1000% out of context, but ncie try. It's not Microsoft's fault he didn't read the system requirements. I'm going to have to assume he didnt run the update assistant either, because this should have told him that the apps would not work. I still don't agree that it's Microsoft's fault that you're registry get's a little messed up from a OS upgrade. They have no control over how 3rd parties write their software, and that's usually what get's messed up. If you will notice the OS will boot and work properly, tho some other software may require a re-install, or will not work. Again the upgrade assistant should give you a clue as to what hardware/software currently on you're system that will not work.

Are you here to help or just critique folks? There was no option to use this "Update Assistant" you speak of when I did the upgrade. Trust me I'd have used it.

l_n

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
There's a registry hack you can use to get 1024x768 on the netbook. Just search the internet for it. It makes everything look a little distorted but gives you access to the Windows store apps.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Nope, it's a netbook so no disk drive.
I guess step one it's gonna be talking to tech support and see what they say.

If your laptop came with windows 7, the key is under the laptop. Download the a windows 7 iso file online and make a bootleable usb. Boot from that and install windows 7. Use your key under your laptop.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
OP, I get what you are saying. You do NT need a dusk drive. Just a recovery partition or a windows7 disk and flash drive.

Windows 8 stir apps will download and not notify the user of their display requirements until the app is run. The computer really does not care about the display as it assumes it can be changed on the fly; new desktop monitor and such. Most netbooks of yesteryear had a 600 height resolution... What a pain and a silly requirement... Windows 7 or XP really didn't like to use those resolutions...

Let me know if you need help and we can go further to get it resolved. Of you are really adventurous, you could replace the panel with one of a higher resolution, if available 😊

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
There should be a recovery partition on your HDD. When you are first booting the computer it's usually f10 or f11 to boot into it. Run a "factory reset" and this will put Windows 7 back on your computer. The only way this would not be on there is if it was removed when you installed windows 8. Like a previous poster said, you also have the key on the bottom of the netbook (may be under the battery) with your windows 7 key on there. Download an ISO put it on a flash drive, or put it on a disc, if you have a usb optical drive.

I'm not trying to critique anyone. I just don't see how any of this is Microsoft's fault. They have provided the tools/information to avoid all of this.

Upgrade Assistant: See if your PC can run Windows 8 - Microsoft Windows

^when i upgraded from 7 to 8, this was the first thing the setup ran.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Here's a question for you. Does your better half like Windows 8 besides this issue ? Depending on the model, there is an reg hack that works on some netbooks that could possibly fix thus issue(as someone else said). It just makes Windows "Think" it's running at a higher resolution that will allow native Windows 8 programs run. I have used it before, it does work. Google (or Bing it) "run Windows 8 on a netbook". It does not work on all models, you would have to do a little homework. If you post the exact model number maybe I can see if I can help a little here.

If she does not care about Windows 8 and wants 7 back. Find your key, download an iso from Microsoft(unless you have your original DVD/CD), download the Microsoft took to create a bootable USB drive (a 4gb usbbdrive will work for this), set you bios to boot off usb and run setup after restarting your pc, format you drive and reinstall. Just make sure you backup your data first.

good luck

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Here's a question for you. Does your better half like Windows 8 besides this issue ? Depending on the model, there is an reg hack that works on some netbooks that could possibly fix thus issue(as someone else said). It just makes Windows "Think" it's running at a higher resolution that will allow native Windows 8 programs run. I have used it before, it does work. Google (or Bing it) "run Windows 8 on a netbook". It does not work on all models, you would have to do a little homework. If you post the exact model number maybe I can see if I can help a little here.

If she does not care about Windows 8 and wants 7 back. Find your key, download an iso from Microsoft(unless you have your original DVD/CD), download the Microsoft took to create a bootable USB drive (a 4gb usbbdrive will work for this), set you bios to boot off usb and run setup after restarting your pc, format you drive and reinstall. Just make sure you backup your data first.

good luck

Thanks for the help. I found the hack you're talking about on YouTube. It's actually really easy to do so I went ahead and did it. So I have the higher resolution now but for some reason my netbook just keeps rebooting itself when I try to open the apps. From what I've read am not the only one with this problem.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the help. I found the hack you're talking about on YouTube. It's actually really easy to do so I went ahead and did it. So I have the higher resolution now but for some reason my netbook just keeps rebooting itself when I try to open the apps. From what I've read am not the only one with this problem.

Hmmmmmm....I have not seen that issue before. Display drivers ? I know most of the Intel based netbooks use a Intel on board video, you can normally get a updated generic driver (based on the model) from Intel.com, this might help. If you want, post the exact model number, I'll see if I can find anything.

It's got to be a video driver or a system firmware...I would start with both of those.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Hmmmmmm....I have not seen that issue before. Display drivers ? I know most of the Intel based netbooks use a Intel on board video, you can normally get a updated generic driver (based on the model) from Intel.com, this might help. If you want, post the exact model number, I'll see if I can find anything.

It's got to be a video driver or a system firmware...I would start with both of those.

Acer Aspire One D270-1410. Like I said, reading the comments on that YouTube tutorial it seems that quite a few folks have the same issue. The resolution is fixed but now our netbooks just reboot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans