Using SkyDrive to stay in sync

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
When you are a traveling working man you may find yourself having multiple devices and files of all types spread across your phone to your tablet to your home PC. One of the biggest issues with this is being able to get to the file you need when you need it from whatever device you have at the time. I have several Windows 8 devices so I use Microsoft’s SkyDrive.

To start, pick the main computer you use for work. For myself this was my laptop. I run Windows 8 so I downloaded the desktop app version. The main benefit of the desktop app versus the modern app is the amount of settings. The desktop app is much more powerful in terms of choosing what to sync and it has the ability to make your files available to other computers signed into your SkyDrive account.

After installing SkyDrive access the settings from the utility by right clicking on the double cloud icon running in the notification area and select settings. This should bring you to the following screen.

SkyDrive Settings
Here you will see the following options.

General
• Start SkyDrive automatically when I sign in to Windows – Place a check mark here to have SkyDrive automatically load

• Let me use SkyDrive to fetch any of my files on this PC – This is a lifesaver for me at times. I use this option mainly on my PC at home that is always on and connected. This option allows you to browse the systems files you select from skydrive.com.

• Use Office to sync files faster and work on files with other people at the same time – I don’t use this one but assume it works as it says

The next options on this tab are self-explanatory.

The next tab is Choose folders, this allows you to pick what remote folders are copied localy to your PC. I use this to sometimes leave out large video files I have on SkyDrive from downloading to my laptop due to space on my SSD.

Performance and about tabs should be self-explanatory.

Next we need to move you user file folders to SkyDrive and set them to auto sync.
1. Open windows Explorer and navigate to c:\users\YOURUSERNAME
2. Right click Documents and select properties
3. Click Location tab
4. Click Move
5. Select the path C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\SkyDrive\Documents

Repeat the above steps for each folder you want to automatically copy contents to SkyDrive. For your other PCs follow the same instructions.

For Windows RT and Windows Phone 8 you only have the option to use the Modern UI version of SkyDrive, it cannot sync but you have the ability to open and download any file you need.

Last edited:

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
What I want to know is how to get the Skydrive connector to see folders I've added to my Skydrive group. I setup a family Skydrive group and created a folder in it, but it doesn't sink over to the Skydrive connector for Win7 (yes, I know this is in a Win8 forum), so I assume there is something that needs to be done for Windows Explorer to be able to natively see and use this folder like the others in my Skydrive. I also assume this is similar for Win8 which I will be upgrading to sometime in the near future (I have the upgrade to Pro in hand).

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
As long as you have installed the Skydrive program for Win7 it should work. Make sure you are signed in with the same account.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs