Will 'Blue' be bringing the start button back?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It will be back, but it's going to do the same thing, just take you back to the metro start screen.

There will also be a boot to desktop option.

Marcos Hidalgo

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I've gotten used to it and I used the desktop like 80%. I don't see what the bug deal is anymore.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
The start button issue is so utterly unimportant I think just about every ***** who whined enough about it that ms heard them needs to go home and seriously think about what they are doing with their lives.

I personally think the start bar looks symmetrical and neater without it. It isn't really necessary or doing anything besides wasting some pixels... Its absence leaves more room on the taskbar for window icons and etc.
Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
The start button issue is so utterly unimportant I think just about every ***** who whined enough about it that ms heard them needs to go home and seriously think about what they are doing with their lives.

I personally think the start bar looks symmetrical and neater without it. It isn't really necessary or doing anything besides wasting some pixels... Its absence leaves more room on the taskbar for window icons and etc.
Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express

I agree l, but I personally know a lot people who've gone wonkers about it. The button is still there, some people just can't handle the change.

Markie577

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
As long as I can disable the start button or better yet, if they disable it by default (so people can activate it, like they did with the Windows 98 skin in xp). I am happy

Detectionable

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Its Metro I can't put up with, I already use a start orb with no image until you hover over it on 7 so that's not the issue, I just don't see any reason for Metro UI on a desktop, I never used it, and it got in the way when I forgot and clicked start

I'm not bothered which way MS go with 8 tbh as Win 7 will work perfectly for a long long time yet

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I understand why people want the Start button.

Most people have well established workflows.
Start>open program of choice

Going to the Start screen FEELS like you left Windows. Also, the tiles on the start screen are big enough to make it a pain to find one program if you have a lot of stuff installed. Users dont want to scroll right endlessly just to launch their program.

I love the Modern/Metro interface. But I do think that a Start Button could be useful just because it fits way more applications in a view. And they can be organized in folders.

For example; I don't need every Adobe product in the creative suite listed separately and taking up space. With the Start button I could navigate to the folder for the creative suite to see the list of programs it. Same with MS Office, Autodesk products, etc...

swapnil wajpe

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Each of them should be made to read "Who Moved My Cheese?" over and over till they get the point. I really see no difference in having a Start Button, when you have corner dedicated for that, and in my opinion Metro UI is way better than the traditional Start Menu.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Each of them should be made to read "Who Moved My Cheese?" over and over till they get the point. I really see no difference in having a Start Button, when you have corner dedicated for that, and in my opinion Metro UI is way better than the traditional Start Menu.

If the Start Screen was as fast and efficient as the Start Menu that you get from the button, then people would likely be more willing to adjust.

Change is good. But right now, the change has resulted in something less functional and efficient.

I have confidence that will be improved in time. But right now, it's not there yet and it's a legitimate gripe.

Wacft

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I understand why people want the Start button.

Most people have well established workflows.
Start>open program of choice

Going to the Start screen FEELS like you left Windows. Also, the tiles on the start screen are big enough to make it a pain to find one program if you have a lot of stuff installed. Users dont want to scroll right endlessly just to launch their program.

I love the Modern/Metro interface. But I do think that a Start Button could be useful just because it fits way more applications in a view. And they can be organized in folders.

For example; I don't need every Adobe product in the creative suite listed separately and taking up space. With the Start button I could navigate to the folder for the creative suite to see the list of programs it. Same with MS Office, Autodesk products, etc...

This is exactly what I have problems with, people complaining about the start screen (not you but the people you describe) because the complaints don't make sense.

1. My generation is suppose to be the ones reaching for anything new that is a move in the right direction. Example: Teachers in school bitched and bitched about XP and they would never switch because 2000 UI made more sense. All of them moved on to XP eventually and acknowledged the improvements. Now everyone that was laughing at people like that are now complainig about Win8 in the same manner...

2. "Start>open program of choice" Now it is open program of choice! In the old Start Menu I could not sort my applications together in groups to find them easier. We went from a very small, space constricted start menu to a full screen start menu that is customizable. Like it really baffles my mind. Instead of clicking start button and getting the smaller start menu Windows automatically opens and its full screen and more organized to my needs. Yes lets keep it the old way because we are used to it and dont want to change...

3. I'm a tech and I love the whole simplicity thing. I spend all week fixing what people break in the "superior" Win7/WinXP environment. The average person has no need for a desktop so keep it hidden for people like us that need it. Even when I go home I don't go to the desktop unless I have to because the Start Screen is just so trouble free, I don't want to deal with the desktop after work! Actually ever, except when I need it I am glad it is there.

4. "
I do think that a Start Button could be useful just because it fits way more applications in a view" You can change the size of the icons and I dont meant single tile or double tile sizes. You can control through the desktop how big icons actually appear in the start screen and it increases the amount of viewable icons. But the search in Win8 is so much better than previous WinVersions. Put what you USE on the start screen. Search what you may need. Way more efficient than the folder structure of the old start screen. I think we are so used to having everything we could possibly ever use in front of us that it freaks us out not to see it. My Start Screen begins with what I use every day and trails of by use to the right, and it doesnt trail far.

5. Is it a secret that if you go to the bottom left corner of the Desktop and right click you get every Administrative tool in a simplified "start menu"? I have zero use for a start button and start menu. I think Microsoft is bending to the complaints of people who haven't learned the new OS or those that haven't even tried it.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Are there seriously people not getting a new PC/tablet or upgrading to W8 specifically for the start menu? Will bringing the start menu back really convince all these folks to upgrade? I doubt it. I think if they really hate the modern UI that much, they will just stick to W7. Or at least, that's what common sense tells you.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
well, you have to wait for the animation to complete to use it, and there is a lot less objects and links in more space. Meaning I will have to scroll left-right and otherwise do extra effort to do something that was originally efficient. On a touchscreen, that design makes total sense, but with a conventional desktop/laptop, not so much.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Can you please elaborate more on this, may be with some examples.

My biggest gripe is that I can't easily create folders or hubs of my own and place tiles for those on the start screen.

So, if I have an application suite, like Adobe Creative Studio, Microsoft Office, or Autodesk's products, I end up with a cluttered Start Screen.

In the Start Menu, they would be in folders. Clicking the folder would give me a list of the contents, which I can quickly select.

If I could make a change to the Start Screen it would be to give the user the ability to create custom hubs. Almost like how the Store is structured. Where I can organize my tiles by category, and I could click something if I want to access the contents of the hub/folder.

It's still slower than the Start Menu, but it beats an extremely cluttered Start Screen. And it works with touch.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
My biggest gripe is that I can't easily create folders or hubs of my own and place tiles for those on the start screen.

So, if I have an application suite, like Adobe Creative Studio, Microsoft Office, or Autodesk's products, I end up with a cluttered Start Screen.

In the Start Menu, they would be in folders. Clicking the folder would give me a list of the contents, which I can quickly select.

If I could make a change to the Start Screen it would be to give the user the ability to create custom hubs. Almost like how the Store is structured. Where I can organize my tiles by category, and I could click something if I want to access the contents of the hub/folder.

It's still slower than the Start Menu, but it beats an extremely cluttered Start Screen. And it works with touch.

That's what app categories are about. Why bury apps in another folder and add more clicks?

I have adobe design suite and my web development programs in a category. Windows 8 application management and organization is worlds better than Windows 7.

Windows Blue will be bringing smaller tiles like WP8. So you can have more apps in that category.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
That's what app categories are about. Why bury apps in another folder and add more clicks?

I have adobe design suite and my web development programs in a category. Windows 8 application management and organization is worlds better than Windows 7.

Windows Blue will be bringing smaller tiles like WP8. So you can have more apps in that category.

What do you mean by App Categories? Is this some sort of functionality that I'm clueless about? Because if I could create something like folders/hubs, that would be cool.

Right now I'm just organizing the Start Screen by putting spaces between "categories". But with a lot of apps, that means a lot of scrolling/swiping to the right to get to something. I'd much prefer to be able to click twice without scrolling the length of two or three screens.

Wacft

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
What do you mean by App Categories? Is this some sort of functionality that I'm clueless about? Because if I could create something like folders/hubs, that would be cool.

Right now I'm just organizing the Start Screen by putting spaces between "categories". But with a lot of apps, that means a lot of scrolling/swiping to the right to get to something. I'd much prefer to be able to click twice without scrolling the length of two or three screens.

Its like you didnt even read my reply because I mentioned you can do this as well. Yes he means categories but you can also control how many tiles stack per column which decreases scrolling. You can do this through registry mods or "ease of use", I think that is what it is called. And yes you can pin folders and apps, if you want to call it a hub go for it. Google is your friend.
How to Pin Apps or Folders to the Metro Start Screen in Windows 8

Wacft

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Oh and you know the view to name your categories and arrange them? Switch to that view to jump to categories if you dont want to scroll.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs