Win8 a failure or not? What you think?

Apply_Logic

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Every tech blogger out there are bad mouthing win8 for some reason or an other and totally disagree with 90% of them. It feels like they get pay to trash Microsoft and everything that comes out of Redmond. What do you guys think? I feel tech bloggers are destroying the internet. What do you think?

Apply_Logic

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
The problem isn't that win8 sucks its more like win8+metro or whatever you wanna call it is and was a bad decision in Microsoft part. But I do understand the logic behind it. MS thought by bundling tablet with traditional PC they would gain a large chunk of the tablet market share (well they were right) but don't think the intentionally alienated old windows users. Overall win8 without metro is 9.5 out 10 in my book.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Bloggers get paid by how much traffic they can generate to their website. Because traffic leads to ads being clicked. So if a popular blog makes money by trashing MS, then others will follow suit, hoping to cash in.

Right now, trashing MS has been getting internet surfers to click on a regular basis.

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Win8 is not a failure, it's a small revolution.
Vista wasn't a failure too it was pre-windows 7.
And Windows 8 atm is at vistas position and might cause somewhat revolutionary user experience(After windows blue or Win9), for example connected devices with always syncs with each other( Windows, WP, XBOX, smartwatch )
The problem isn't that win8 sucks its more like win8+metro or whatever you wanna call it is and was a bad decision in Microsoft part. But I do understand the logic behind it. MS thought by bundling tablet with traditional PC they would gain a large chunk of the tablet market share (well they were right) but don't think the intentionally alienated old windows users. Overall win8 without metro is 9.5 out 10 in my book.
Windows 8 without metro is just plain old windows 7, if it was without metro it would be a failure for sure.

Apply_Logic

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Total failure, Microsoft has been displaying arrogant attitude toward consumers complaints. That's not a good business strategy. Look at the Xbox one its going to be another win8 for Microsoft.
Nevertheless win8 is the best operating system I've used so far. The metro UI feels incomplete. Same goes for wp8

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't call it a total failure. Win8 addresses something Win7 couldn't do as well, and that is obviously touch interface. Yes Win8 has shortcomings, but it was necessary step to bring the OS forward. It was a radical change and some people who have become so used to the current way of interacting with the PC may have trouble getting used to it. It is a fresh take on the PC and in time improvements will be made.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Metro is good for desktops. I can't type up from my phone the pages and pages of reasons why users should start using it where applicable, but suffice it to say the security benefits are significant and numerous.

I could also give you a page about why the start screen is better than 7's start menu. Seriously, 7's start menu was awful. XP's approach to the start menu was better (utilizing the entire screen rather than one tiny box) but also flawed in some aspects. 8 takes the good points of both and combines them. For the betterment of both touch and non touch users.

The people trashing metro generally have never used it. If they did, they went in hating it, and only used it as long as they felt was necessary to validate their hate. They might as well not have- the only reason they do it is so they can say "I formed my own opinion by trying it out!". Validating your own hate is not equivalent to judging something objectively.

As I suggested, they haven't formed any opinion, they're just validating the "popular" opinion they subscribed to- because hating Microsoft is a meme, and everybody needs to show others they're on board with the latest trend.

I'm not trying to suggest that a negative opinion of metro is wrong, but forgive me if I assume that you don't actually have your own opinion, you're just echoing something very misinformed that you've read on some blog. (Or you read negative comments on forums, or heard negative comments from friends. I'd still wager all their opinions and comments have merely trickled down from the first few "reviewers" of the 8 development preview. And I still see *a lot* of misinformed hatred based on some limitation in the developer preview that has been changed since the consumer preview!).
Very, very rarely do I ever see someone bring up clear, valid points against metro, and present them in a professional coherent way. And you know what? Yes there are flaws. But the concept *is* solid, and the system will evolve over time.

Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express

Last edited:

Pulserider

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
People do like to trash Microsoft products (not just Windows 8) even by mouth, but what is so comic is that they also make use of the Microsoft products. Sometimes you just can't understand these people. The Windows 8 OS is moving in the right direction even with the Metro interface. Yes surely they could improve things in certain ways on the OS, but with every software product there is never a perfect product. Windows Phone 8 is a big step from other mobile phone OS and it sets it apart from the rest like Android and IOS with the metro interface. I was getting bored with the Android interface and Windows Phone 8 was just the perfect jump.:smile:

claudeburdel

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't have Windows 8, but I had to set up my partner, who lives out of state, with a new laptop. I bought him a Windows 8 one (non-touchscreen) and spent a few weeks setting it up for him.

His needs are very simple. All he does on his computer is go to websites and check e-mail, and open documents once in a while. Because of this, it seemed to me that the Metro mode would be a good bet for him.

I love my Windows Phone, and esthetically I like the whole Metro look very much. Unfortunately, the Metro apps for IE and Mail are so stripped down that they're basically useless.

On IE, your Favorites show up as one long ribbon, and you can't categorize them in folders. So if you have 30 or 40 Favorites (as most normal people do, at least), you have to scroll, scroll, scroll through them to find the one you want. Instead of doing that, I pinned all his Favorites to the Start screen as tiles, since on the Start screen you can group tiles by category. (That took a couple of hours.) But that's not a great solution because when he wants to go to a site he has to constantly jump out of IE back to the Start screen to access his Favorites tiles.

On Mail, you cannot click on a sender in an e-mail and choose to add that person to your People list (contacts). This is a basic function which just about everyone needs to do. So if you want to add someone, you have to write down their e-mail address, then go to the People app and manually type in the address.

In Metro apps in general, the design concept is to present a screen with as few on-screen controls as possible, so that you have to click (or gesture on a touchscreen) in order to access anything. So in IE you need to right-click on the screen in order to see open tabs. In Mail, there is a single "+" on the screen to start a new e-mail, but for everything else you have to right-click to bring up the options. The minimalist look is certainly esthetically pleasing, but it's hard to work in that environment - the extra mouse click or gesture to bring up options makes it feel like you have a veil between you and the computer that wasn't there before.

My partner gave it a shot, but after a week of using it he was unhappy. I had already told him that we could always use the desktop mode, so that's what we did, and it's much easier for him now.

The desktop mode isn't perfect either, though. You can't easily set a program to auto-start on bootup anymore (from searching the Internet I think there is a way to do it, but it looks so complicated, I'm afraid to try it). And yes, I do think there needs to be a Start button. Basic functions like accessing the Control Panel or shutting down the computer require you to memorize commands, rather than hitting "Start" and choosing what you want.

I really wanted to like the Metro mode but it just doesn't seem usable at this point.

Graven Pshya

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I think Windows 8 is not a failure, but it's a stepping stone to bring the OS forward. There was a huge learning curve when I first got the consumer preview. I rarely used the Modern UI and as time progressed I began to use it more and more often and now I rarely go into the desktop. I've learned a lot of the keyboard shortcuts which makes it much faster to navigate around.

I've read out in the comments that some people just don't like change and I find it difficult to relate because I'm more of a person to embrace change. I do agree that Windows 8 needs some refining and it'll take some time until it reaches a refined state and becomes the new "Windows 7".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster