08-01-2013 07:37 AM
98 1234
tools
    I am a happy camper now - I like it.

Although it somehow broke my Google Talk app. (desktop client)

Nothing majorly borked here, although it looks like (for me at least) People accounts won't stick.
    06-26-2013 08:53 PM
    Someone mentioned that if u update to the 8.1 Preview from pro, you won't lose your apps or software, but when u update to the official release you will.

My question is, if I update from 8.0 to Official 8.1 in a few months, will I still lose everything and have to reinstall apps and software?
    I would hope not. Microsoft would really be dumb if it did that.

The impression I get is that if one updates from official 8.0 to official 8.1 he will not lose any apps/software.
    06-26-2013 09:03 PM
    So far I have high hopes for 8.1 final. I would warn people who plan on putting this on their primary device: not everything works. Now, it could just be me. But, the official twitter app, as well as tweetro, are almost unusable. The timeline blanks out when scrolling, and jitters like crazy. MetroTube locks up every time I try to load it. Microsoft warned that not all 3rd party apps would work right off the bat, so I'm not surprised.

I love the extra tile sizes. The new search takes some getting used to, but I like it. Losing the messaging app sucks, but I guess we all new this was coming as we move towards Skype. I much prefer the old IE with the tabs up top and the favorites on the bottom.

Has anyone figured out how to integrate SkyDrive picks in the pictures app? All I get now is picks on the device.

I'm having the same experience. Lots of jittery scrolling in metro apps. The typing lag in Internet Explorer for something like this Response is almost unbearable. I am literally sitting here watching the words appear on my screen in slow motion.
    06-26-2013 09:45 PM
    Oh yes, as jmerrey pointed out, don't expect everything to work perfectly. It is functional, not perfect. Even some of Microsoft's own apps are a bit buggy. All in all, though, I'm loving the new features and cannot wait for the full version in a few months.

Question: Can we expect updates to 8.1 as they're made? Or will they all be bundled into the full version?
    06-26-2013 09:53 PM
    is there anyone experience this?

8.1_2.jpg
    06-26-2013 11:11 PM
    Outlook on my surface rt. The world is complete.
    Yea but...

I can't get to display old emails in my sub folders from my outlook.com account. I just can't find the setting (getting old sucks).
    06-26-2013 11:19 PM
    Oh yes, as jmerrey pointed out, don't expect everything to work perfectly. It is functional, not perfect. Even some of Microsoft's own apps are a bit buggy. All in all, though, I'm loving the new features and cannot wait for the full version in a few months.

Question: Can we expect updates to 8.1 as they're made? Or will they all be bundled into the full version?
    I have gotten some updates to the preview already, but I haven't looked into exactly what they were just yet. Idk what they would do..
    06-26-2013 11:47 PM
    am I the only one having trouble finding the link to the store for the update?
    06-26-2013 11:51 PM
    I did an app update scan, and a regular update scan, right after 8.1 installed, and there were numerous updates available, on both sides.

Honestly, I hope MS plans on updating this preview build frequently over the next few months. I would assume the 3rd party app devs will updates their apps as well,
    kashk5 likes this.
    06-26-2013 11:51 PM
    Total WiFi issues on my laptop, apps just crashing, had to reinstall Windows 8.0
    06-26-2013 11:56 PM
    Is it true that you can't update from 8.1 preview to full blown 8.1 after it comes?
    Some people says you can't some people says you can, it's just confusing and i can't find an official source who will convince me.
    06-27-2013 12:01 AM
    No, if you go from 8.0 to the official 8.1 release you won't have to reinstall your apps. source: Microsoft goes public with Windows 8.1 upgrade policies | ZDNet
    06-27-2013 12:06 AM
    A lot of people have been reporting some issues. Be sure that you ran the file on Microsoft's official page and restarted your PC. An update should appear in the store! Let us know if you have any more details.
    kashk5 likes this.
    06-27-2013 12:08 AM
    I"m still downloading but have read that there are or will be "motion backgrounds" like a dragon. Guess I have to wait unless someone has already searched for it.
    Not available in the beta unfortunately.
    06-27-2013 12:22 AM
    Installed that 15mb file from Preview website,but still the store notification is not displaying :(
    06-27-2013 02:23 AM
    is there anyone experience this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8.1_2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	36493
    I have exactly the same problem and would like to know if anyone else has it before I go on and try and install the full blown thing
    06-27-2013 03:01 AM
    I had the same issue on my RT; apparently it does that if you have English-UK as your language instead of English-US. But my RT installed fine although it keeps telling me its not available on my desktop and laptop.
    Andrew Milne likes this.
    06-27-2013 04:06 AM
    Yeah, check out my earlier reply in this thread. Also this quote from the download page over at Windows 8.1 Preview - Microsoft Windows right underneath the "Get the update" button:

Note: before you download: If you’re using an English version of Windows, you can only install Windows 8.1 Preview from the Windows Store if your OS base language is English (US).
    Andrew Milne likes this.
    06-27-2013 04:13 AM
    I just got my Surface RT yesterday, and had to wade through four hours of updates to make sure everything was up to date. Took another hour for 8.1, from download time to booting to the 8.1 desktop.

Metro apps do feel more jittery when scrolling but no real issues yet. The new features, like the ability to swipe up on the keyboard to enter numbers, are very welcome. Word suggestions are also quite nice. I did have to use the classic control panel to adjust my magnification level on the desktop; the Metro screen for the same wouldn't let me do it. I'm loving the unified search and search hero in Bing. I searched for a restaurant and got their hours, number, and a mal within a few swipes and taps from the start screen; super fast and way easier than before or with any other desktop OS. Everything seems to work abd flow slightly better than before. I'm loving it so far; just wish my Touch Cover didn't require to much pressure to activate, but I think that's a hardware issue. MS needs a way to adjust this.
    06-27-2013 04:37 AM

Has anyone figured out how to integrate SkyDrive picks in the pictures app? All I get now is picks on the device.
    The photo app seems bugged, and unfortunately it cannot be reinstalled so we'll have to hang tight until they release a fix. They show up when you use the file picker, so it is clear this is a bug. That being said, it appears they removed the Facebook and Flickr integration, unfortunately.
    06-27-2013 08:12 AM
    To answer some questions. Yes you can update from Windows 8.1 Preview to Windows 8.1 when it comes out. I did the same for Windows 8 release preview.

I think its a great update for being free. Does not change a whole lot but certainly improves the experience with Windows 8. The greatest improvement in my opinion seems to be IE 11.
    06-27-2013 08:12 AM
    oh sweeeeettt, Microsoft included a modern style calculator in 8.1. There goes the only app I made for Win8 lol
    06-27-2013 08:33 AM
    Really enjoying the update so far.

I'm extremely impressed with IE 11 on my Surface RT. It is considerably faster and more responsive. I also love having the tabs on bottom.
    06-27-2013 08:45 AM
    Ohh, it sure could be an awesome update. But the preview is unusable on my VaioTap 20, which is ironic because MS uses one in the picture on the preview-site ;). Screen brightness is messed up at 100%, and everything is dead-slow. I'm trying a rollback this very minute. This sucks.
    06-27-2013 08:53 AM
    Really enjoying the update so far.

I'm extremely impressed with IE 11 on my Surface RT. It is considerably faster and more responsive. I also love having the tabs on bottom.
    The tabs on the bottom still throw me. But I agree that it appears mostly faster except page back which sometimes stalls. Ran a few benchmarks and it now appears to perform about the same as an iPad 3 from a javascript perspective.
    nokialove likes this.
    06-27-2013 09:03 AM
98 1234