I think Win 8 is having a big impact on AAPL.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
AAPL released there earnings yesterday and their IPad sales were down big. As was their other non-phone hardware. Though the Surface RT hasn't faired well, it and the other Win 8 tablets and hybrids likely did well enough to disrupt their main competitor in this space. Though popular media will report AAPL beat expecations, there numbers were not that good.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Wouldnt get your hopes up - While sales may have dipped I have yet to see a single W8/RT tablet in the wild other than mine - I have been seeing a lot of android tablets however.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Maybe Apple didn't quite meet expectations, but expectations were pretty high. They did quite well!

Really?

Net income dropped 22% but they still beat expectations. How do you call those expectations high? I guess I have a very different opinion about AAPL. Personally I believe they are the most protected company on Wall St.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Really?

Net income dropped 22% but they still beat expectations. How do you call those expectations high? I guess I have a very different opinion about AAPL. Personally I believe they are the most protected company on Wall St.

Well yes you do have a valid point. At this point the trend is more concerning than the actual number reported for the last quarter, and indicates the future. But still, $6.9 billion is a lot of money any way you cut it. Apple also sold 31.2 million phones.

Just for laughs, you should go to the iMore forums and read the comments there!

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
This quarter is weak because people are waiting for new iPhone , new iPad and new Macs.

All of which would come in September and October.

Watch next two quarters.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
This quarter is weak because people are waiting for new iPhone , new iPad and new Macs.

All of which would come in September and October.

Watch next two quarters.

Thank you validating my very point Sanjay. I'm sorry, that card can only be played so many times. If you remember that card got played last year and when the IPhone 5 came out everyone was screaming "this is it?" AAPL hasn't produced anything truly innovative since the IPhone. That was six years ago.

I'll give them credit, they have milked that cash cow for a long time but I don't think ole' Betsy has much milk left to give.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
If anything had an impact, it's a wave of quality Ultrabooks, cheap yet decent Android tablets and high-end Android phones. These have had people considering them as an alternative, sometimes with hilarious results: me at Starbucks in London, using my Nexus 7. This couple sees me and they're like "is that the new iPad?". I tell them no, this is the Nexus, an Android tablet made by Asus and Google. Cue blank looks. I explain, it's like an ipad, but not made by Apple. They ask how much, I tell them around ?250 (32GB, 3G). The woman pulls out her brand new iPad Mini, tells her husband "This cost ?350 and it doesn't even have 3G, we should go back to Currys and get the Nexus iPad immediately! :D

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Thank you validating my very point Sanjay. I'm sorry, that card can only be played so many times. If you remember that card got played last year and when the IPhone 5 came out everyone was screaming "this is it?" AAPL hasn't produced anything truly innovative since the IPhone. That was six years ago.

I'll give them credit, they have milked that cash cow for a long time but I don't think ole' Betsy has much milk left to give.

I think you are over-estimating your hopes on Microsoft.Do I have to remind you that Google has more market capital than MS ?Google , Samsung and Apple are taking all the profits.

Just for the reference ,

List of largest corporate profits and losses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apple's Q1 2013 is regarded as 4th Largest Corporate Quarterly Earnings of All Time.
That's the time when iPhone 5 has arrived.

Apple's Q1 2012 is regarded as 5th Largest Corporate Quarterly Earnings of All Time.
That's the time when 4S has arrived.

Now comparing that to Microsoft's products like Surface , Everybody knows how it performed.
Windows 8 ? Slow growth even with $40 upgrade offer which Windows 7 didn't have when it launched first.
Windows Phone 8 ? HTC and Nokia still in hard times while Samsung who is pushing Android heavily is in major profit trailing behind iPhone.

I think Google Samsung and Apple are the only companies doing amazingly well right now.
MS is trying very hard to impress people.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro