How to revert back to windows 8 from 8.1

Killer BIGxyz

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the Windows 8.1 beta, and it made my PC very buggy. The start menu is always freezing and while watching videos on YouTube, they always skip video frames and ruins my experience. I loved 8 and didn't think the 8.1 beta would be this buggy. I have no backup to restore and not really PC savvy, and could use some help on what to do, thanks

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
When signing up for the 8.1 beta, there was language in the terms that stated that there was no reverse path. There also wasn't an upgrade path to the real 8.1. No matter what, you'd have to do an OS reinstall eventually.

You will want to save all of your personal files on an external hard drive or flash drive. Then keep inventory of all apps and programs you have because you will need yo reinstall them.

Then reinstall 8.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well first, if you're not very PC-savvy, they did warn you about potential bugs and whatnot.

You will have to do a clean install to revert to 8, since AFAIK, there is no easy way to downgrade.

I would try a reset (in the Settings app) to clean things up and maybe fix some problems (before going back down to 8). Get an external hard drive or backup your files to skyDrive (or the cloud storage of your choice) and prepare to nuke it from orbit.

thats my 2 cents for now

Killer BIGxyz

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Well first, if you're not very PC-savvy, they did warn you about potential bugs and whatnot.

You will have to do a clean install to revert to 8, since AFAIK, there is no easy way to downgrade.

I would try a reset (in the Settings app) to clean things up and maybe fix some problems (before going back down to 8). Get an external hard drive or backup your files to skyDrive (or the cloud storage of your choice) and prepare to nuke it from orbit.

thats my 2 cents for now

never thought about SkyDrive, probably gunna do that. But before I do that will Microsoft eventually push out updates to fix some bugs?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
never thought about SkyDrive, probably gunna do that. But before I do that will Microsoft eventually push out updates to fix some bugs?

Probably when the final 8.1 starts hitting computers. I'd say best bet is a pc refresh, then reset if problems continue, and if that doesn't work, go reinstall 8.

I just remembered, perhaps you could take a peek into task manager and see if there's some evil process hogging it all

gazmatic

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
NEVER use a consumer review as your daily driver.... even MS warns you that it is for evalution only and you should install it on a back up system

that being said... i was using the consumer preview and recently installed the leak rtm version

i can confirm, AS WITH EVERY SINGLE CONSUMER OR DEVELOPER REVIEW, there is no option to save your installed apps

your documents are all saved though

you will just have to reinstall ALL of your applications and apps...

that is the risk you take when you install review software

ps... windows 8.1 rtm is BOSS. completely top notch

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the Windows 8.1 beta, and it made my PC very buggy. The start menu is always freezing and while watching videos on YouTube, they always skip video frames and ruins my experience. I loved 8 and didn't think the 8.1 beta would be this buggy. I have no backup to restore and not really PC savvy, and could use some help on what to do, thanks

always make a system image to revert back to if you use any beta's/preview's. Restoring won't help so you will have to reinstall the OS once again. I used the 8.1 Preview but had system images for all computers to revert back to and now am running 8.1 RTM without any trouble.

Dragunov2

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I even installed 8.1 RTM on my 8, then I got black screens during installation, had to use the power button to set my system at sleep mode, then rewake it by the power button, so I have Visuals again, but then I did want to update my graphical driver, got an error, system did a restart and got stuck at the password screen (I entered password, I saw welcome, then a grey screen, then password screen again, and on and on...)

So reinstalled everything again, but now the Windows 8 key is seen as a upgrade key and no longer as a full Retail key... (even had a problem after the format, my disc no longer wanted to create a partition, but solved this), I could install with my windows 8 key, but activation didn't work, so installed Win8 again on top of Win8 and everything runs fine again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss