Bluray software for windows 8

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Ok I've got a bluray burner player in my desktop. Is there a program that will allow me to play bluray disks without a bunch of other programs I don't need? Essentially I just want to put a movie in and watch it. I don't need an editing or copying program. So any thoughts?

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
in desktop software? Windvd is really nice, that's the one I used to use some years ago. Powerdvd was popular but never liked it much. someone also said Total Media Theatre, but I have never used it, but it looks like have nice features, like this "All-new Modern UI design for Windows 8", and it gets integrated in media center and all. dunno about the performace but in a htpc someone said it ran better than powerdvd some years ago.
I don't know what other software you could use! well I know, but they aren't worth to mention since I never tested them and they aren't popular or something.

these 3 seem to be the best, but also they cost money. maybe I should find if there are free alternatives!

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
in desktop software? Windvd is really nice, that's the one I used to use some years ago. Powerdvd was popular but never liked it much. someone also said Total Media Theatre, but I have never used it, but it looks like have nice features, like this "All-new Modern UI design for Windows 8", and it gets integrated in media center and all. dunno about the performace but in a htpc someone said it ran better than powerdvd some years ago.
I don't know what other software you could use! well I know, but they aren't worth to mention since I never tested them and they aren't popular or something.

these 3 seem to be the best, but also they cost money. maybe I should find if there are free alternatives!

ok so I know powerdvd but that comes with a crap load of stuff I don't need. Are the others just a program that allows me to watch my blurays?

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
ok so I know powerdvd but that comes with a crap load of stuff I don't need. Are the others just a program that allows me to watch my blurays?

what do you mean with "crap load of stuff"? I havent used it in a while but i remember it was just put the cd and end.
same with windvd, but windvd is simplier. and I haven't used Total Media Theatre, but I guess with a lot of stuff as well, since it would even give you something more touch friendly you can run from start screen. also it comes with a plugin to integrate to media center.

I could have easily said PotPlayer which in my opinion its better than VLC and its free (of course you have to look for the English version), but I have never used it as a bluray player. but I searched and it seems that Lifehacker liked it in 2011:

"PotPlayer was developed by the same developer behind our pick for the best video player for Windows, KMPlayer. It's free, plays Blu-ray and other HD video, supports discs and ripped video, and even supports HD video embedded in ZIP and RAR archives. It's simple, and doesn't offer the bells and whistles that a lot of the other, more expensive tools do, but if you're looking for a siple, lightweight Blu-ray player, it can't be beat. There are 32 and 64-bit versions available, and there are plenty of skins available so you can customize the look and feel of the player."

maybe you should download a trial of them, and vlc and potplayer to see what its the one that gives you what you need. I kinda want to test Total Media Theatre in a htpc because it looks really good for that. but of course that's not what you are looking for, still it looks like a nice player but it seems it would have too much stuff for what you want.

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
what do you mean with "crap load of stuff"? I havent used it in a while but i remember it was just put the cd and end.
same with windvd, but windvd is simplier. and I haven't used Total Media Theatre, but I guess with a lot of stuff as well, since it would even give you something more touch friendly you can run from start screen. also it comes with a plugin to integrate to media center.

I could have easily said PotPlayer which in my opinion its better than VLC and its free (of course you have to look for the English version), but I have never used it as a bluray player. but I searched and it seems that Lifehacker liked it in 2011:

"PotPlayer was developed by the same developer behind our pick for the best video player for Windows, KMPlayer. It's free, plays Blu-ray and other HD video, supports discs and ripped video, and even supports HD video embedded in ZIP and RAR archives. It's simple, and doesn't offer the bells and whistles that a lot of the other, more expensive tools do, but if you're looking for a siple, lightweight Blu-ray player, it can't be beat. There are 32 and 64-bit versions available, and there are plenty of skins available so you can customize the look and feel of the player."

maybe you should download a trial of them, and vlc and potplayer to see what its the one that gives you what you need. I kinda want to test Total Media Theatre in a htpc because it looks really good for that. but of course that's not what you are looking for, still it looks like a nice player but it seems it would have too much stuff for what you want.
hmmm guess I was looking at there other stuff. I'll look into it. Thanks.

maxknux

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Update: WinDVD is lately not good because it fails to play Blu-Ray. I had to get PowerDVD from CyberLink which works. I don't know what happen to WinDVD but I used to like it. WinDVD fails to play newer titles and previous titles. I highly recommend you don't buy WinDVD.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo