Windows 8.1 search in the app

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
With the new version 8.1 I can't search inside the application using the Global search. (swipe left and tap search).
I was able to do with 8.0. Is there a different way to do this?

Regards,

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
When you swipe left and hit the search charm, it says "everywhere" under "search" with an arrow next to it. Hit the arrow, the bottom selection should be the app.

I hope in the final version of 8.1 the open app is the default selection; right now "everywhere" is default, which seems silly. If you are hitting search while an app is open, most of the time I'm assuming you are searching within the app. "Everywhere" should only be default if an app isn't open.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
That in-app search option in the Charms bar in 8.1 is just a fallback, unfortunately. Expect to see that phased out as more apps are updated for 8.1 to include the search bar within the app.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
As I alluded to earlier, it's the same with any app. In Windows 8.1, you no longer search in apps from the charms bar.

Some older 8.0-based apps will still have the icon there, but that is depreciated in 8.1, and you should expect that to go away.

Now, it is possible for an 8.1 app to plug into the universal "Everything" search, but in general, you should expect that to search in an app, you will need to explicitly open that app, and then tap on a searchbox inside that app.

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
As I alluded to earlier, it's the same with any app. In Windows 8.1, you no longer search in apps from the charms bar.

Some older 8.0-based apps will still have the icon there, but that is depreciated in 8.1, and you should expect that to go away.

Now, it is possible for an 8.1 app to plug into the universal "Everything" search, but in general, you should expect that to search in an app, you will need to explicitly open that app, and then tap on a searchbox inside that app.

Thanks!!!!! No more global search into the app like 8.0 :(

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Here's my desk, 8.0 on my desktop on the top, 8.1 on my SP on the bottom.

And to repeat myself yet again, that option has been depreciated. It's going to increasingly disappear moving forward, as app developers release updates. The new recommended / strongly suggested behavior is to remove in-app search from the Charms, and move it to a searchbox within the program. In other words, the only reason you still search from the Charms bar in Board Express Pro is because the developers of Board Express Pro have not updated their app.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
He asked me if I used 8.0 or 8.1, I showed him I did. However, if want to, you could repeat yourself again. And again and again and again. Have fun.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
He asked me if I used 8.0 or 8.1, I showed him I did. However, if want to, you could repeat yourself again. And again and again and again. Have fun.

And have fun acting like this thread is weird or like the behavior you're talking about and describing isn't going away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon