Installed Windows 8.1 this weekend

nycny

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
1234990_10201281793279235_1569853747_n.jpg

If the install went ok, there would be no comment.
Application interface is still un-intuitive.
I am not expecting this thing to be perfect, though better so close to launch.
These are the RTM bits, not a preview.
Balmer got fired because he deserved it.
I'll try a reinstall, recovery, whatever it's called asap.
These guys keep changing names and moving furniture around in benefit to the blind.
Ouch!!

Nothing like a good old flame war to get the juices flowing.
This is good stuff.

Last edited:

nycny

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
I have upgrade to 8.1 from my technet account as well and aren't having the problems you are. I don't see how you are having problems with 8.1 if you were not having problems with Windows 8 before. It's not like this is an totally new operating system but a incremental update that added new features and corrected some mistakes. I don't even see why you did a clean install either IMO, I popped the USB thumb drive install I made in my computer and boom it upgraded and keep all my stuff I had installed already as well(Both programs and Apps). Ten minutes and it was done on my custom home made desktop PC's, i.e. 2 computers no problems.

Microsoft app store loads up way faster now including running the apps. Everything nice and stable with no driver incompatibilities. I'm not convinced you even got it from technet IMO I think you have a bootleg copy. If you do have a authentic technet install then you just f-uped your install and have some programs that aren't to windows 8 liking or drivers that are really unstable which are the main two things that mess up installs and causes OS problems anyway.

I'm liking a lot about what you say.
This thing has really got me sideways.
I have installed and upgraded my fair share of a bunch.
I can assure you that I have an authentic TechNet install, as I have been a TechNet account holder for quite a long time. These are genuine bits straight from the server with my activation code.

jdom

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Downloaded and installed Windows 8.1 on my PC this weekend. I am totally convinced this is the most awfulest POS in creation.
Steve Balmer should have not only resigned, he should have killed himself for letting this POS out of the factory!

when you installed 8.1 did u bother reading the desclaimer that states that you were downloading an incomplete version of 8.1 (called preview) and that some apps might not work properly?

nycny

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
when you installed 8.1 did u bother reading the desclaimer that states that you were downloading an incomplete version of 8.1 (called preview) and that some apps might not work properly?

You are holding me to a higher qualification of comprehension/explanation than you are willing to exert by reading.
I had no expectation of this being a preview, which I avoided. This install is the RTM (Release to Manufacturing, which will go on new machines within the next few weeks) recently released to
TechNet and MSDN this past weekend.

nycny

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
Anyhow,

I am going to take from the most sensible responses. Probably not some of my own. and try an installation recovery.
See how that works. It shouldn't be this hard. Un-Intuitive!

Bye, bye!

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Anyhow,

I am going to take from the most sensible responses. Probably not some of my own. and try an installation recovery.
See how that works. It shouldn't be this hard. Un-Intuitive!

Bye, bye!

when in doubt reinstall. But big lesson is always make an image of your system to correct issues like this. Lastly go by the motto if it ain't broken don't tamper with it, I.E. pick the upgrade option if your install you have is already stable. Only do a clean install if your install is already trashed and need to just be dumped. I don't get the clean install push for everything because sometimes it can cause worst trouble than just upgrading.

Adretheon

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
The Netflix application stalls at 21%. I believe that was in my original statements. Statement about Balmer was rhetorical. As in fall on his sword, like he kind of did!
Silverlight will not install on the 64bit of Internet Explorer,which comes with the OS..
Ok, I got the share part from the charms bar. Thanks for pointing that part out. I was wondering how to do that. Non intuitive.
After I gave up on copy, I found it, does work, kind of, with persistence.

I've had issues with Netflix since day one of Win8. However, that's mainly because I have my Hyper V stuff on cause I do dev work...and I need it. So that's not really an issue since(if you look at the reviews) most people don't have problems with it.

Share has always been in the charms bar. In the same way share is in the "..." menu of WP.

I personally haven't had but one major issue with 8.1, and that was with everything freezing up when I closed a search from Start. However, that's been fixed. Everything else works fine, and I like 8.1 much more than 8. The app list looks much cleaner in 8.1 than it did in 8. The music app is a lot cleaner as well. Granted, I never understood why anyone had a hard time navigating Win8 to begin with. It's not that hard.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I got the share part from the charms bar. Thanks for pointing that part out. I was wondering how to do that. Non intuitive.
Yeah, sure, Mr. Windows 8 user for 8 months.

It's unlikely that you're technologically illiterate and have a TechNet subscription, so I'm just hoping you're getting paid to make a fool of yourself :)

nycny

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, sure, Mr. Windows 8 user for 8 months.

It's unlikely that you're technologically illiterate and have a TechNet subscription, so I'm just hoping you're getting paid to make a fool of yourself :)

I didn't set out to offend anyone on this board. Just having a really hard time with 8.1 upgrade.
I get paid to do a job well, help people. No insults necessary.
Thanks for sharing your personal jab.
Makes you feel important, I'm sure.

Last edited:

mv740

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Hey, i'm on 8.1 too and everything is fine. No game or app crashing. I did a upgrade from windows 8. Did you try to update your gpu drivers, i saw that amd has a new one for 8.1. BTW rtm, gold version .... , all these term still mean beta until official release date that come with a day one patch.

nycny

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
Hey, i'm on 8.1 too and everything is fine. No game or app crashing. I did a upgrade from windows 8. Did you try to update your gpu drivers, i saw that amd has a new one for 8.1. BTW rtm, gold version .... , all these term still mean beta until official release date that come with a day one patch.

Thanks, I mostly work on routing/switching equipment. I dabble with PCs as a hobby. And use TechNet to increase my exposure to various OS, servers for self training.
I've tried all the various recovery options mentioned.
It seems that for ease of use, vendors have moved to wizard options for set-up.
I have found sometimes, these wizards cause unintended consequences, ie Microsoft Small Business Server limitations on adjustment, when a knowledgeable person, might set up differently. Also some time ago, consumer routers required users to actually configure settings, using a help guide. With the wizards, everything was automated, often configuring erroneous settings. This required someone more knowledgeable to get in to change things. Often the wizard interface got in the way and the tech had to spend more time trying to defeat the wizard than it would have taken doing standard procedures.
I think this is what may be happening here.

nycny

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
Still having the same problem.
I guess my next option will be the old school way and boot the install disk, delete and format partition, install new image.

Wizards, henchmen, trolls. Bleh!

nycny

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
Apparently not considering the misuse of the superlative on a double syllable adjective in your initial post.

Huh!
So sorry, I was advised not to feed the trolls.
This is a joke? yes?
I do have as sense of humor!
Ha ha! maybe!

By the way, did you ever get that diphthong corrected?
Correction:
monophthong corrected?

Last edited:

Hassan Rashid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft will update it of course. And if users above are saying that there are no issues, then there's a problem with the installation, even if it was successful. Reinstall everything again.

Hassan Rashid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Come on guys, if nycny is criticizing, it's his right to do so. You people have gone out from the topic and into the grammar. -_- Can't you be positive?

nycny

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
Microsoft will update it of course. And if users above are saying that there are no issues, then there's a problem with the installation, even if it was successful. Reinstall everything again.

I contacted Netflix today and was told that they have identified a compatibility issue with the new Internet Explorer on both Windows 8.1 and upgraded Windows Phones. IE 11.
As IE is used as the back end (engine) of the Netflix app, Microsoft needs to white list NetFlix app to make it work.
It was suggested that in the meantime to use Firefox or Chrome to watch Netflix online.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Come on guys, if nycny is criticizing, it's his right to do so. You people have gone out from the topic and into the grammar. -_- Can't you be positive?

I would say it's more of a privilege considering these forums are made available for his use to do so. Much like other acts it's a matter of appropriateness and timing. If he chooses to exercise that privilege to vent he could very well do so without being vague and expressing in a manner which itself comes off trollish. People are more than willing to help and discuss openly if they feel the beginning statement is receptive to it.

Regarding my comment, I concede I made a misstep. For that I do apologize to him. Perhaps it's one of those reminding lessons to not respond negatively when met with negativity.

nycny

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
I would say it's more of a privilege considering these forums are made available for his use to do so. Much like other acts it's a matter of appropriateness and timing. If he chooses to exercise that privilege to vent he could very well do so without being vague and expressing in a manner which itself comes off trollish. People are more than willing to help and discuss openly if they feel the beginning statement is receptive to it.

Regarding my comment, I concede I made a misstep. For that I do apologize to him. Perhaps it's one of those reminding lessons to not respond negatively when met with negativity.

I aaccept your apology and will try in the future to keep my composure civil.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99