Windows 8.1 ISO Download

tmpusr889

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Is there an ISO available for Windows 8.1? I have four machines and limited bandwidth, so I'd love to just be able to download the update once. I know this has been done for service packs in the past, but I haven't heard anything about it for the new 8.1 version.

iboypx

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Is there an ISO available for Windows 8.1? I have four machines and limited bandwidth, so I'd love to just be able to download the update once. I know this has been done for service packs in the past, but I haven't heard anything about it for the new 8.1 version.
same quetion.. where can i download new ISO?

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
There is an ISO which was made available last month but only to MSDN and TechNet subscribers. I am not sure if Microsoft will make it available to public tomorrow.

Selfie13

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Go to winsupersite.com, Paul Thurrott has a post about how to do this, he's also working on a more descriptive article about the process and is looking to post it very soon. From Windows Weekly Podcast today.

Dragunov2

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
U can find it, but just search well :)

In every possible language, I have downloaded the Dutch ISO in the past of the Windows 8.1 Pro RTM

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I tried what Paul Thurrott talked about, going to Upgrade Windows with only a product key - Microsoft Windows Help and selecting "Install Windows 8.1" but when I had to enter my key it was not valid. The key was an online purchase for Windows Pro 8 upgrade back when it was only $40.

This sucks, because now if I want to rebuild my system, I have to install Windows Pro 8, then do the 8.1 update. (Yep, I already went through the process. After I already did the update. Just experimenting).

Now, I also tried to create a recovery disk after the update to a USB drive. It's only 282 MB of files. WTF?!?!?!?!?!?

prettyconfusd

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Apparently they're not going to release the ISO publicly. Microsoft won't deliver Windows 8.1 ISO file for download to the public • Pureinfotech

Seems crazy to me, I have four machines to update. Did one earlier before I realised I couldn't turn it into a bootable USB key but am holding off on the rest. Thankfully my ISP doesn't count bandwidth used between 1-6am so am just downloading on my other machine now.

It's a really stupid decision though, most enthusiasts will have multiple machines so having to go the slow, clunky store route is madness. I really do despair with Microsoft sometimes, it's like for every good thing they do (this week's Windows Phone update available now for everyone) they have to do something to screw it up to balance things out...

diktea

May 6, 2013
Visit site

drjekel_mrhyde

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Apparently they're not going to release the ISO publicly. Microsoft won't deliver Windows 8.1 ISO file for download to the public ?€? Pureinfotech

Seems crazy to me, I have four machines to update. Did one earlier before I realised I couldn't turn it into a bootable USB key but am holding off on the rest. Thankfully my ISP doesn't count bandwidth used between 1-6am so am just downloading on my other machine now.

It's a really stupid decision though, most enthusiasts will have multiple machines so having to go the slow, clunky store route is madness. I really do despair with Microsoft sometimes, it's like for every good thing they do (this week's Windows Phone update available now for everyone) they have to do something to screw it up to balance things out...

If Microsoft was a human, I would put it on suicide watch

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I realize these are not official. Please delete if you believe this post is inappropriate. Isos are available at the My Digital Life forum in the Windows 8 section. Note that these are identical to MSDN releases and they will allow upgrades to a running Windows 8 system. Bing this: The Windows 8.1 (& related) Repository , click the top link and head to the first post.

Last edited:

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I tried what Paul Thurrott talked about, going to Upgrade Windows with only a product key - Microsoft Windows Help and selecting "Install Windows 8.1" but when I had to enter my key it was not valid. The key was an online purchase for Windows Pro 8 upgrade back when it was only $40.

This sucks, because now if I want to rebuild my system, I have to install Windows Pro 8, then do the 8.1 update. (Yep, I already went through the process. After I already did the update. Just experimenting).

Now, I also tried to create a recovery disk after the update to a USB drive. It's only 282 MB of files. WTF?!?!?!?!?!?

I think it might be worse than that. The $40 deal was for an Windows 8 *upgrade* key. For that key to work, you have to start from an activated copy of Windows 7 (and maybe Vista, but not sure). I know this because I recently had to reinstall Windows 8 and I used a retail Windows 8 install DVD to do a fresh install. I used my $40 upgrade key and it said it was invalid and for upgrades only. Previous versions of Windows would just ask you to enter your key or disk for the previous version as proof that you are upgrading, but not Windows 8. I called MS support and they told me I had to install Windows 7 and go through the online upgrade process in order to us that key. Anyway, I don't think that the 8 to 8.1 is the problem with your key. I think it's the fact that you are trying to start with 8.x instead of 7.

Also, the recovery disk is just a boot disk with the same recovery options as the Windows 8 install DVD would have. It has a tool to restore a system image, but you have to create and save a Windows system image separately. You can find that option under "Windows 7 Restore" in the control panel.

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Cleavitt76, what you mentioned is not entirely true. I purchased Win8 upgrade and was able to use its ISO for doing a clean installation. If I remember correctly, I had to enter my Vista key during the installation process, and my Win8 upgrade key after the setup is done (with a little registry tweak) to fully activate Windows 8. Been using it for 9 months now without any issues.

I managed to get a copy of Win8.1 RTM ISO last month, and from what I've been reading I can use it to do a clean installation as well. A temporary key should be used during the setup process and then my regular Win8 key to fully activate it after installation is done. I will try it and let you know how it goes.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I managed to get a copy of Win8.1 RTM ISO last month, and from what I've been reading I can use it to do a clean installation as well. A temporary key should be used during the setup process and then my regular Win8 key to fully activate it after installation is done. I will try it and let you know how it goes.
that is correct. I've done exactly that on two of my PCs. Clean installation or upgrade will work. And if you don't have the key of your currently activated OS you can easily get it with Magical Jelly Bean key finder (or this batch file if you are on RT).

Last edited:

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I think it might be worse than that. The $40 deal was for an Windows 8 *upgrade* key.
I found a work around in the beginning. Instead of updating the Win7 machine in place I had the updater download an ISO. From there I have been able to use that ISO to do fresh installs without any issues with just the "upgrade key" I purchased. I've never had to go digging around for an old W7 key.

I've actually used the ISO to rebuild other peoples W8 systems, with their W8 key, when their drives died without an issue. From what I've seen, it's just like any other W8 ISO.

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It worked for me :D
I used the Windows 8.1 RTM ISO to do a clean installation, used a temporary key during the setup process (you can find this key if you google it) then after Windows was installed I successfully activated it with my original Windows 8 Upgrade key (which I purchased for $15 last year during a promotional offer). I didn't even need the registry tweak this time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs