11-02-2015 10:26 AM
39 12
tools
    I currently have a Dell Precision M4700 with Windows 7 Pro, it does not have a touch screen.

But after using Windows 7 for more than 4 years now, I am getting a bit bored and would love to try a new OS.

Problem is that my laptop does not have a touch screen, so would you recommend Windows 8.1 on a non-touch laptop?

The cost is not really an issue since I am a student and I can get a Windows 8.1 Pro for $70 from Microsoft store.
    11-26-2013 01:16 PM
    My bro uses Windows 8.1 on his acer laptop (no touchscreen), Well it's like Windows 8 but it have fixes and they finally added a start button,I tried it for a little,it's really good and i'm thinking to upgrade mine to windows 8.1 too...
    11-26-2013 01:25 PM
    yep my windows vista-era ThinkPad T400 works like a charm with 8.1, no touch screen, although it can sometimes be a nice to have.

I'd totally recommend it,if you're willing to try something relatively new
    Editguy1900 and sibeans like this.
    11-26-2013 01:28 PM
    My home laptop is non-touch and I have run Windows 8 on it since Windows 8 was released. It works great, and Windows 8.1 only makes it better. I run it mostly in "desktop mode" (i.e. sign-in to desktop, use desktop Internet Explorer, etc.) but I do use a number of "Metro" apps (Lync, Xbox Music, etc.) and I prefer the Start Screen to the Start Menu. It works out really well.

Similarly, my work desktop runs the same way... Windows 8.1, sign-in to desktop, desktop I.E., desktop apps, etc.

Contrary to the pundit blogger view, Windows 8/8.1 works just as well in a non-touch environment as it does in a touch environment.
    Editguy1900 likes this.
    11-26-2013 01:36 PM
    I have a 7 year old HP laptop that ran XP. I loaded 8.0 and it actually ran faster (doing a clean install didn't hurt). I like it so much I loaded it on my year old laptop (was 7 pro like yours). The only issue I had was that with I had to update some drivers on the newer laptop. Other than that I'm loving it.
    Editguy1900 and xandros9 like this.
    11-26-2013 01:39 PM
    My home laptop is non-touch and I have run Windows 8 on it since Windows 8 was released. It works great, and Windows 8.1 only makes it better. I run it mostly in "desktop mode" (i.e. sign-in to desktop, use desktop Internet Explorer, etc.) but I do use a number of "Metro" apps (Lync, Xbox Music, etc.) and I prefer the Start Screen to the Start Menu. It works out really well.

Similarly, my work desktop runs the same way... Windows 8.1, sign-in to desktop, desktop I.E., desktop apps, etc.

Contrary to the pundit blogger view, Windows 8/8.1 works just as well in a non-touch environment as it does in a touch environment.
    Windows 8.1 works fine with a keyboard and mouse

Sent from my LG-D801 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    Editguy1900 likes this.
    11-26-2013 02:47 PM
    Bought my current laptop last summer with Win7 on it. Made use of the Win8 upgrade offer late last year. Despite the laptop not having a touchscreen, I get along quite fine with keyboard and mouse.
    11-26-2013 03:15 PM
    I find I barely use the touchscreen on my laptop. The gestures on the trackpad are just fine in my experience. So I'd say it would be ok.
    11-26-2013 03:18 PM
    +1 on the keyboard and mouse on w8.1. works great!
    11-26-2013 08:54 PM
    I find I barely use the touchscreen on my laptop. The gestures on the trackpad are just fine in my experience. So I'd say it would be ok.
    I rarely use the touchscreen on my Asus Vivobook. I also have Windows 8.1 installed on a 5+ year old HP laptop, and it runs faster than 7 or Vista did.
    Old_Cus likes this.
    11-26-2013 08:57 PM
    Another one that says "Go for it!"

I use W8.1 on an Asus Zenbook. The hardest part was finding a good driver for the touchpad and it's gestures (Asus's version just sucks for palm detection). Once I got it up and working well, I use both the desktop programs and the Modern App's without any issues. It did take a bit of learning the gestures on the touchpad, but it's been worth it.

There are times when go from my Surface RT to the laptop, I sometimes touch the screen and have to realize "Oops! No touch screen on this one".
    11-26-2013 10:51 PM
    I have been using Win8 all along on a non touchscreen laptop. I think it works fine. To be honest, the few times I have used a laptop with a touchscreen, I would use the touchscreen a few times, then soon find myself swiping and gesturing on the trackpads.
    11-26-2013 11:05 PM
    My Acer S3 is non touch and been using it since Developer Preview 8.0 and the support for touch gestures on the track pad is superb.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk
    11-26-2013 11:16 PM
    I've been using Win8 since the developer preview more than two years ago, but of course my laptop has a touch screen. When it went RTM (was that August?) I put it on my wife's laptop, a Toshiba without touch screen. She likes it. Of course she doesn't use the metro stuff much, because she continues using it just as she used Windows 7, and Windows XP and 98 before that. It works best for a touch environment, but in a non-touch environment my experience is that it works just as well as Win7, just without the added benefit of touch. There is a learning curve, as there are some things that are different, but for the most part, your average user won't experience any loss of functionality by switching. To those who would avoid it, I would suggest that they rethink their position, since this is the direction computing is going, and to refuse to accept it means being stuck in 2009.
    iamtim likes this.
    11-27-2013 09:54 AM
    Okay, I would like to try a trial version first before I make my decision.

The only trial version I found was Windows 8.1 Enterprise, so should I be able to download from here and install it?

Download Windows 8.1 Enterprise Evaluation

Thanks for the replies!
    11-27-2013 01:15 PM
    Yes, experience will be the same.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk
    11-28-2013 05:24 PM
    My impression is that touchscreens on laptops are largely pointless. In most cases, it's much easier to use the keyboard and mouse/trackpad. It's actually quite awkward to reach up and touch the screen. So the OP shouldn't worry about it.
    Old_Cus likes this.
    11-29-2013 07:07 AM
    It will be fine if you don't have a touch screen.
    Besides, it'll only make sense if you have a place where you can place your arm while using it.

(Besides, it's much easier to Win-Tab than swipe from the left, and Win-C that swipe from the right.)
    11-29-2013 08:18 AM
    I say yes. My primary PC (although not laptop), has Windows 8.1. and you would have to pay me a lot for me to go back to Windows 7.

While I agree Windows 8 (and 8.1) are completed by having a touch screen, but I will never sign the "no point in using Windows 8 without touch screen"-argument that I hear from people who usually have never even used Win 8 and just read that from the internet :P

I personally think that laptops with touch screens and Win 8 are great. I don't have long term experience with an actual laptop with touch screen and Win 8, but my Surface is being used ALOT in "laptop" form, meaning with keyboard/trackpad available. And I still use the touch screen ALOT. There are things that are more convenient with touch screen and things that are more convenient with mouse and KB. They don't rule each other out in any way.
    11-29-2013 08:24 AM
    I currently have a Dell Precision M4700 with Windows 7 Pro, it does not have a touch screen.

But after using Windows 7 for more than 4 years now, I am getting a bit bored and would love to try a new OS.

Problem is that my laptop does not have a touch screen, so would you recommend Windows 8.1 on a non-touch laptop?

The cost is not really an issue since I am a student and I can get a Windows 8.1 Pro for $70 from Microsoft store.
    I'm using windows 8.1 on a non-touch laptop without any issue. However, I always have an external mouse. I don't think it would be much fun with all those hot corners, pull down to close gestures etc.
    11-29-2013 08:38 AM
    I've got a three year old laptop with a touch screen, and I think it's great. Granted, there are lots of times that I don't use the touch screen, but there are other times when it comes in very handy. I realize that if I used the touch screen for everything that a touch screen could be used for, I'd have needed shoulder surgery long ago, which is why I don't believe the mouse will be leaving us anytime soon. That laptop just became pretty much a permanent desktop replacement, since I just bought a Lenovo Yoga 11S, another laptop with a touch screen - but this one practices Yoga and becomes a tablet!
    11-29-2013 10:28 PM
    I run Win8.1 Pro in my 4 year old Vostro (Dell) laptop without touchscreen and it seems to run fine. I mainly use it for C# development. Everything else I do on Slackware, same hard drive, different partition.
    12-05-2013 06:42 PM
    Okay I have tried the W8.1 Enterprise evaluation, I think I will just stick with Windows 7 Pro for now.

- The live tiles did not update by themselves, and I had to open the apps, then close them to see the updated info on the tiles (Weather, News). Especially apps like news, it should really update itself hourly at least.
    - Advertisements in the original Windows apps?? Really?
    - 'Swiping up' the pretty picture lock screen everytime I turn on and unlock my computer?

Having said that, I installed the 8.1 on my 4 year old laptop and it immediately became more stable, with no overheat. With Windows 7 on there before, it would overheat and turn itself off, but now it's actually usable with the Windows 8.1 installed. So I might actually buy the 8.1 for my old laptop.

But my work computer does not have any stability issues with Windows 7 to begin with, so I'm sticking with Windows 7 on the main computer.

It is such a shame because I wanted to have the "unified" look with Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8.1 on my computer, but I just cannot be as productive with W8.1
    Mainly though, I am just shocked to see an advertisement inside an OS that costs up to $200.

To be fair, Windows 8.1 is perfectly fine for everyday computing and gaming, but for productivity work, I would still go for Windows 7.
    12-09-2013 02:15 PM
    Frankly I think that Windows 8, and particularly Windows 8.1, works well on both a touchscreen laptop and a mouse and keyboard desktop setting. I have a Lenovo Yoga convertible laptop with touchscreen, but when I'm at home I have a Logitech receiver for wireless mouse and keyboard, external speakers, and HDMI out to a large monitor.

I use it effectively as a desktop (Running Windows 8.1, of course) and utilize many of the same gestures and features. Rather than swiping from the right, just move the mouse to the top or bottom right corner to get the same charms and clock view. Top left then down pulls up all active windows and apps (the desktop is one of them). Again this is ALL mouse and keyboard with no touch input whatsoever while at my desk. Windows 8 and 8.1 are significantly smoother and more visually appealing (in my opinion) and really lose nothing in terms of functionality. Some may not like the start screen (I do, for touchscreen or desktop modes having you use at a glance) but you can easily jump straight to the desktop automatically with a setting. The start button is still there, and right clicking on it pulls up a list of higher level functions (command prompt, disk manager etc.)

I feel the biggest issue with Windows 8.1 is that frankly many people take one look at it and jump away, right back to what is comfortable and familiar, without really giving it a chance. I find myself more enamored with Windows 8.1 than I do with any Mac product (which looks antiquated and bland by comparison). I understand that you have experience with Windows 8.1, and that you feel it is not as productive as Windows 7, but I'm eager to know what exactly you feel is problematic with it.

Marco
    12-09-2013 02:32 PM
    I do that so often when using the laptops of friends with macbooks. After having a touchscreen for so long with Windows 8/8.1 I feel downright restricted and limited without one, like "Man the trackpad is all I have to interact with this computer?" At least when on a desktop you have an external mouse, which arguably allows for more movement more easily.
    12-09-2013 02:35 PM
39 12