Blue screen of death is killing me!

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
My laptop is giving me the blue screen of death damn near daily. Is there anything I can do about this?

I'd rather not take it in to get looked at. Thanks!

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
uninstall and reinstall drivers from the device manager window.

You must be getting some sort of error code on BSOD right? maybe a NETIO.sys or something, search the internet for that code there are plenty of solutions around

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
you don't say how long you've owned this laptop or what you did to the laptop. can you retrace your steps and determine what you installed or reconfigured? was the upgrade to Win8 the problem? need more background to help ...

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Had the laptop 2 years, Lenovo. Haven't put any new programs on in recently, it all started trying to do video editing/uploading. Windows 8, haven't upgraded yet. Just compressed the C: drive, and I've got 245gb of hard drive space left.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Blue screen of deaths can be caused by a large number of different software or hardware problems. Does it happen at random points, or when you are actually editing video? When it happens again, can you jot down what the error is. The last line of the blue screen should tell you what the error is. For example, the one below, would be "HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED".

BSoD_in_Windows_8.png

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
OP: From you answers you do not seem to be the most tech-savy. My advise is for you to lookup a friend who has pretty good technical skills and reinstall the OS from ground up. I advise to get some help first because if you run into problems I do not believe you will know how to work around it.

Be sure to get all of your personal data off first. And while your at it, have your techie friend make two partitions. One for OS and programs and the other for personal data.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
OP: From you answers you do not seem to be the most tech-savy. My advise is for you to lookup a friend who has pretty good technical skills and reinstall the OS from ground up. I advise to get some help first because if you run into problems I do not believe you will know how to work around it.

Be sure to get all of your personal data off first. And while your at it, have your techie friend make two partitions. One for OS and programs and the other for personal data.

Before going that route, try restoring an older restore point.
windows 8 how do I go back to a different restore date - Microsoft Community

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
baseballbert, since you're in the Win8 forum, I'm going to assume you are using Win8, although your answers in this thread seem to indicate you may not be. Here's what I think:

1) If you are using Win8, upgrade to Win8.1 ASAP to get all the bug fixes in
2) if you don't do video editing/uploading/stuff, do you still get BSOD? What video software are you using?

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Don't want to sound rude, but yea... go find someone that has a bit more technical experience to help diagnose the issue. But the main issues of BSOD are:

1. Hardware: something has gone bad in the computer (RAM, hard drive, CPU, sound card/chipset, video, controller card, etc.)
  2. Software Driver: also tied to hardware, but could be just an update to fix.
  3. Program: usually a program that tries to use a specific hardware feature that doesn't quite work properly, could be fixed with an update.
  4. Virus/Malware: need I say more.

But the trend with BSOD's is it's mainly some sort of hardware issue. When a BSOD happens, there is an error code associated with it. It's isn't very informative on it's own, as it's usually a long string of numbers (example of a common stop code from Windows XP: STOP: 0x0000007B (0x4, 0x1, 0, 0), this is the stop code for an INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE btw), but it is important to get that "stop code" to find what the possible root cause is.

It used to be just shown on the screen and you had to be quick to write it down, but now it tends to be written in event log database of the computer. You need to find that code then search the Microsoft Knowledge Base (kb) for it. Sometimes the kb has an exact solution for a code, sometimes it just explains a series of steps to narrow down the cause.

My point is trying to diagnose a BSOD without that stop code is futile.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking it was time to take it in. It just happened again, and it sitting on the blue windows logo on a black screen with the small dots making the circle. Been at least 10-15 mins.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720