What is the best free anti virus program?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Opps. I thought this was in regards to a windows phone. As DBDev said, Windows Defender that comes with Windows 8 should be sufficient.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I just stick with Windows Defender. I fins that 3rd party programs often use up too many resources.

I'm pretty careful with what I do online so I've had no problems.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Use the built in Windows Defender. This is what most of the other posters already recommended, and they are correct. I suppose some paid antivirus programs like Norton AntiVirus (do not get Norton Internet Security or Norton 360,ever!) could offer a bit more, but even that's arguable. The most important line of defense is you, the user.

xratola

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I use avast internet security, it is pretty the best antivirus out there. Windows defender just doesn't work (I've tested with virus samples) and W. defender doesn't recognize them at all whereas Avast does.

Slater_GS

May 14, 2013
Visit site
The most important line of defense is you, the user.

This^
And what most everyone else has said. Windows Defender is great and if you are getting viruses with that within W8, then you need to rethink what and how you are doing things on your computer.

I am not a big fan of avast.
To be fair I haven't used it for a year, but I went through a span where I installed it on many of my clients computers and just had too many problems with it. Not so much with its ability to catch a potential virus, but with the asinine constant popups and resource requirements which would lend to further calls from clients. Most of the updates went ignored and thus it became ineffective for its purpose.
Just my experience FWIW.

Editguy1900

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
AVG free. I've been using it for years and it's been so long since I've had a problem with viruses that I've almost forgotten the sick feeling that they cause. Almost.

donebrasko

May 16, 2013
Visit site
AVG free. I've been using it for years and it's been so long since I've had a problem with viruses that I've almost forgotten the sick feeling that they cause. Almost.

it was a coworkers computer. I ended up putting AVG before I had time to come back to this post. I forgot about windows defender. Personally I agree with the user being the best at protecting. I'm very cautious. Thanks for all of the suggestions. I assume that windows rt doesn't have to be protected

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Kaspersky Internet Security for home PC/tablet.

No offense but you bring up the idea of you get what you pay for and use the most unstable internet security package available for Windows 8. There is more than a bit of irony in that choice given Windows Defender is built in, fully integrated, has a tiny memory footprint, free, and just as effective.

May 6, 2013
Visit site
If you just need antivirus protection than both AVG Free and Avast Home Edition are great choices.

If you need antivirus + firewall, then you might want to check out Comodo's Free Security Suite.

PS- I know we all love free, but sometimes you can find great deals on sites like Amazon!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers