Live Tiles Really Need to be Rethought

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Love my Surface 2 and everything it does, but the current implementation of Live Tiles is really starting to annoy me (same would go for WP8 as well, I guess).

The two big ones for me are:

(1) Frequency of updates. They just don't update properly. Some do, some don't. What's the point of a Live Tile If I need to open up the app to update it?

(2) This is probably the biggest annoyance for me: They need to be "actionable". That is, if I see a news headline from Bing News, Flipboard, NextGen, or whatever, that I'm interested in I should be able to click on the headline and just read. Instead, I need to open up the app and go on a hunt for the article. Sometimes I find it, sometimes I don't.

As it stands now, I'm find Live Tiles to be much more form than function.

Excuse the rant as I'm sure it's been beaten to death already, but I just spent 10 minutes searching for an article because of (2)....sigh........

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree about actionability. Imagine having music playback controls on a Music app tile, sort of like an Android widget? Wouldn't that be cool?

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Love my Surface 2 and everything it does, but the current implementation of Live Tiles is really starting to annoy me (same would go for WP8 as well, I guess).

The two big ones for me are:

(1) Frequency of updates. They just don't update properly. Some do, some don't. What's the point of a Live Tile If I need to open up the app to update it?

(2) This is probably the biggest annoyance for me: They need to be "actionable". That is, if I see a news headline from Bing News, Flipboard, NextGen, or whatever, that I'm interested in I should be able to click on the headline and just read. Instead, I need to open up the app and go on a hunt for the article. Sometimes I find it, sometimes I don't.

As it stands now, I'm find Live Tiles to be much more form than function.

Excuse the rant as I'm sure it's been beaten to death already, but I just spent 10 minutes searching for an article because of (2)....sigh........
Excellent points.
Re: #1, the frequency of updates should be a general settings with an option to override on a per-tile basis. eg. News live tile can be updated once an hour, weather every 15 minutes.

I find that the limited usefulness of live tiles as they currently are not to be worth the hit to battery life.

Jake52

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
(2) This is probably the biggest annoyance for me: They need to be "actionable".

I absolutely agree with this point. I really like seeing headlines on the Live Tile of the Flipboard app but it's super annoying trying to search around to find it. I wonder how they could fix this, because how would the app know if you just want to open it or jump to a specific "thing" that the Live Tile showed you?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I absolutely agree with this point. I really like seeing headlines on the Live Tile of the Flipboard app but it's super annoying trying to search around to find it. I wonder how they could fix this, because how would the app know if you just want to open it or jump to a specific "thing" that the Live Tile showed you?

I agree. I'm running Windows 8.1, and I'll frequently see a headline on one of the Live Tiles, but then I can't find the article to read it.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Wow, when I saw this thread I was hoping someone would say its because your doing it wrong. I'll see an article on a news tile flash by and its gone, hey I wanted to read that, come back. Be nice to be able to click on it instead of clicking then searching. Agreed.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Wow, when I saw this thread I was hoping someone would say its because your doing it wrong. I'll see an article on a news tile flash by and its gone, hey I wanted to read that, come back. Be nice to be able to click on it instead of clicking then searching. Agreed.

I was so ready to enjoy a fight. Instead I got reason.

I even had this ready to go: dis-gun-be-gud-2.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon