Love my Surface 2 and everything it does, but the current implementation of Live Tiles is really starting to annoy me (same would go for WP8 as well, I guess).

The two big ones for me are:

(1) Frequency of updates. They just don't update properly. Some do, some don't. What's the point of a Live Tile If I need to open up the app to update it?

(2) This is probably the biggest annoyance for me: They need to be "actionable". That is, if I see a news headline from Bing News, Flipboard, NextGen, or whatever, that I'm interested in I should be able to click on the headline and just read. Instead, I need to open up the app and go on a hunt for the article. Sometimes I find it, sometimes I don't.

As it stands now, I'm find Live Tiles to be much more form than function.

Excuse the rant as I'm sure it's been beaten to death already, but I just spent 10 minutes searching for an article because of (2)....sigh........
    12-16-2013 02:20 PM
    Recent implementation? Correct me if I'm wrong, haven't surface devices always ran Windows 8 therefore always had live tiles
    12-16-2013 02:33 PM
    I agree about actionability. Imagine having music playback controls on a Music app tile, sort of like an Android widget? Wouldn't that be cool?
    unstoppablekem likes this.
    12-16-2013 02:41 PM
    Love my Surface 2 and everything it does, but the current implementation of Live Tiles is really starting to annoy me (same would go for WP8 as well, I guess).

The two big ones for me are:

(1) Frequency of updates. They just don't update properly. Some do, some don't. What's the point of a Live Tile If I need to open up the app to update it?

(2) This is probably the biggest annoyance for me: They need to be "actionable". That is, if I see a news headline from Bing News, Flipboard, NextGen, or whatever, that I'm interested in I should be able to click on the headline and just read. Instead, I need to open up the app and go on a hunt for the article. Sometimes I find it, sometimes I don't.

As it stands now, I'm find Live Tiles to be much more form than function.

Excuse the rant as I'm sure it's been beaten to death already, but I just spent 10 minutes searching for an article because of (2)....sigh........
    Excellent points.
    Re: #1, the frequency of updates should be a general settings with an option to override on a per-tile basis. eg. News live tile can be updated once an hour, weather every 15 minutes.

I find that the limited usefulness of live tiles as they currently are not to be worth the hit to battery life.
    12-16-2013 02:47 PM
    (2) This is probably the biggest annoyance for me: They need to be "actionable".
    I absolutely agree with this point. I really like seeing headlines on the Live Tile of the Flipboard app but it's super annoying trying to search around to find it. I wonder how they could fix this, because how would the app know if you just want to open it or jump to a specific "thing" that the Live Tile showed you?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-16-2013 09:43 PM
    i agree about actionability. Imagine having music playback controls on a music app tile, sort of like an android widget? Wouldn't that be cool?
    Uservoice it someone!
    greedypnguin likes this.
    12-16-2013 09:52 PM
    I absolutely agree with this point. I really like seeing headlines on the Live Tile of the Flipboard app but it's super annoying trying to search around to find it. I wonder how they could fix this, because how would the app know if you just want to open it or jump to a specific "thing" that the Live Tile showed you?
    I agree. I'm running Windows 8.1, and I'll frequently see a headline on one of the Live Tiles, but then I can't find the article to read it.
    12-16-2013 09:54 PM
    Wow, when I saw this thread I was hoping someone would say its because your doing it wrong. I'll see an article on a news tile flash by and its gone, hey I wanted to read that, come back. Be nice to be able to click on it instead of clicking then searching. Agreed.
    12-17-2013 01:13 AM
    Wow, when I saw this thread I was hoping someone would say its because your doing it wrong. I'll see an article on a news tile flash by and its gone, hey I wanted to read that, come back. Be nice to be able to click on it instead of clicking then searching. Agreed.
    I was so ready to enjoy a fight. Instead I got reason.

I even had this ready to go: dis-gun-gud-2.gif
    unstoppablekem and cbreze like this.
    12-17-2013 08:11 AM
    i was so ready to enjoy a fight. Instead i got reason.

I even had this ready to go: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dis-gun-be-gud-2.gif 
Views:	79 
Size:	493.7 KB 
ID:	52164
    lol!
    12-17-2013 08:31 AM
    Yeah I agree as well. Flipboard is probably the worst for this in my experience.
    JaiMento and Laura Knotek like this.
    12-20-2013 04:12 AM
    Agreed on all points.

Sent from my RM-937_apac_hong_kong_222 using Tapatalk
    12-20-2013 06:51 AM
    Yeah I agree as well. Flipboard is probably the worst for this in my experience.
    Oh My God!!! I hate hunting down articles in Flipboard that I saw mentioned on the live tile.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-21-2013 12:19 PM
    Oh My God!!! I hate hunting down articles in Flipboard that I saw mentioned on the live tile.
    Yup a lot of the time I can't find them and end up rage quitting :P
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-21-2013 12:25 PM