The Problem With Smart Search

Kubiubo

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Ahoy, readers!

I've noticed a glaring issue with Smart Search that definitely needs to be fixed some point in time. For the most part, Smart Search gives us beautiful and informative results... other times... not so much. In this case, let's look at searching a video game. Instead of getting the game's box art, concept art, anything, we get a really ugly Modern UI experience.

Exhibit A
Screenshot (183).png

When searching for Secret of Mana we get this.

If Microsoft wants a consistent search experience, this problem of lacking search results needs to be fixed. For example, in my mockup below, all I did was add the box art and it significantly made the result feel more 'alive.'

Exhibit B
Screenshot (178).jpg

I guess there isn't really a point to this article other than "Smart Search has potential, but it's not consistent."

Attachments

• Screenshot (178).jpg
    Screenshot (178).jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 9

Kubiubo

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
The point being, Smart Search is supposed to deliver beautiful results. In it's current state, it only half does that. If you search Paris, you get a full image to accompany the sidebar - everything should have a consistent look. I'm pretty big on presentation, so stuff like this bugs me. xD

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The point being, Smart Search is supposed to deliver beautiful results. In it's current state, it only half does that. If you search Paris, you get a full image to accompany the sidebar - everything should have a consistent look. I'm pretty big on presentation, so stuff like this bugs me. xD
I guess I haven't noticed since I rarely use Smart Search. I mainly search using a browser.

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your response! I guess I did know how to get there, I just didn't know that was it because the results were so weird - a mix of filename matches, file data matches, contextual help, and web results. I'll have to try it again to see if I missed something.

-E

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99