do you sign in on your PC with local account or microsoft account

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I have 2 PC's with Windows 8. One is signed in with a local account, and the other with my Microsoft account. So I'm in the middle.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
When I first got W8, I was leery of using a MS account (paranoid, since being burned by Google) so I used a local account. But I soon realized that I realize that I should try it out with a MS account (I do tech support as a side job) and I found the experience and features superior to the local account. Since then I always use a MS account, and recommend others to set up a MS account with their W8 system. At least they get a secondary/backup email-account by doing so.

Now I do setup a local account on my Surface RT, just so if someone wants to use my RT they don't mess with my stuff on my tablet. I name the account 'A guest'.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I also sign in using my MS account. When I upgraded the family PC I initially had it set to use a local account. I was lazy at first, but I ended up creating an MS account for my mum.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I have a domain set up at home, so I'm logged in with a domain account, and it is linked to my Microsoft account. Best of both worlds.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
just the sync part makes me wonder who wouldnt want that? I know some people wont, but there are so many benefits about having Microsoft account vs local account

the only negative point, but I understand it due to security reasons, its a non easy way to log in the computer automatically (or remove the password) you can do it when the computer is in sleep mode or hibernation, but not when you restart and shutdown unless you go usercontrolpasswords2 and do all the stuff there.
but just the sync part is awesome, last time I had to reinstall my dads computer twice, but I installed office the first time. the second time office was automatically put automatically in startscreen the way i put it first time. so I didnt have to do anything. skydrive and having apps from store is another nice thing. you dont have to use it but you can use it. so yeah for me Microsoft account is nice.
also when I get in my computer through remote desktop or the files network thing (I dont like using homegroups). I always have to type my email and password, which is long and it would be easier to just put the old "123" and end haha, but like I said I understand I have to put all that, and you can deactivate the password for everything

Last edited:

henry.gray

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
My Microsoft account always, its pretty much saying do you sign into your windows phone with Microsoft account or a made up account.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett