Windows 8 apps after 8.1

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Far to many good apps I use, have still not updated to work well with 8.1. MetroTube is a prime example. Constantly crashes because of lack of support for multiple snap views and nonstop crashes when attempting to do any type of a search. What gives with that se guys not updating them? I'd understand if it was a little known app or an abandoned app, but many are big names.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Even big name apps have developers that are constrained by time. I'd say that your best bet would be to contact the developers directly and let them know of the problem, and ask if they have a timeframe for an update. :wink:

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
If this was Apple, it would be done pronto. And before I here about how many Apple users there are, we are talking about Windows OS, not Windows Phone. There are a bazidal of Windows users. They always claim numbers. It's all BS. They just have their head up Apple's arse, because if this was about numbers, they'd hate 90% of their manpower on Windows apps and projects.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Wow...this still continues. I dont have all day to write 50 negative reviews. But, it is scary when well known apps like MetroTube still have not gone 8.1.

djgreedo

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Writing negative reviews does not help! If anything it makes it more difficult for developers to get downloads, which will lead to them caring less and having less incentive to update their apps. Remember that Windows 8 is a relatively small app platform, and most developers are not making money, so have no incentive to update low-rated apps that make no money.

It can't be stressed enough that you need to contact the developer directly (email for example) if there is an issue with their app. The developer won't see your reviews 99% of the time.

Most developers want their apps to work, and will happily look into a request to fix something. I personally respond to every email I get from users regarding any bugs or issues, and I always patch my apps ASAP - usually the same day I find out about the issue. But I have no way of responding to negative reviews, and no easy way to view those reviews from all the different markets around the world. If I have to prioritise (and being a 1-man team I have no choice), then I will focus on the apps with the most downloads (and thus usually the highest ratings) first.

Remember the dev may not be aware of the issue. Some issues only occur in specific situations. I have a user of one of my apps who is frustrated that it doesn't work, but I can't replicate the error he gets on several different setups, and no other users have reported the same issue. Don't sit on an issue for weeks expecting an update any day now - the developer may not even know about it.

Unless a developer has done something weird/wrong in their app it should work flawlessly on Windows 8.1 (without the added functionality such as different screen layouts of course).

I've personally not experienced any issues with 8.0 apps running on 8.1.

Bear in mind it's not trivial to update apps to support 8.1. The developer will either have to abandon the 8.0 version or have two separate versions, meaning double the maintenance in many ways. Many apps are developed by hobbyists and individuals who don't have the time (or incentive) to spend time updating their apps.

Microsoft should have done more to ensure compatibility. It's annoying that you can't support both screen layout models in a single app version. In my current projects I have decided to go 8.1-only because I can't maintain 2 copies of everything. But Microsoft has done a poor job of getting people to upgrade to 8.1.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure I read a comment or article here saying the developer of Metrotube is working on an update. Check out Metrotube or Lazyworm apps on twitter. They are pretty responsive there.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Additionally, as a developer I'll add that one of the frustrations of bad reviews is that the information in the review is often not enough for the developer to figure out what the problem is, and the store reviews give the developer no way to reach out and ask questions. Contacting a developer by email (or other method that he may have provided) is by far a better way to get the message across. Leave the bad reviews for developers who don't reach back, or attempt to fix a problem.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Far to many apps also dont give you any contact info, or as in Hockey Night in Canada's app, the dev lists the wrong email address in the app!!! LMAO

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintchip