Why Doesn't Mail App Have Clickable Links?

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm really getting bored with having to highlight, copy, open a web browser, and paste, a link in Mail.
The odd thing is that, sometimes, links are clickable.
For instance, the e-mail notifications that this thread received a new post, has a link that isn't clickable.
Is it trying to keep me safe?
Is it just dumb and doesn't realize that something starting with http:// should be clickable?
Why do some work and some not?
JJ

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I believe that it is because the Windows 8 Mail app does not show clickable hyperlinks if the sender composes emails in plain text. If the sender composes emails in HTML format the links are clickable.

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I hope they fix that in the next update or at least give users an option to enable that on plain text emails. It's one of those tiny insignificant things that becomes a major annoyance after a while.

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I believe that it is because the Windows 8 Mail app does not show clickable hyperlinks if the sender composes emails in plain text. If the sender composes emails in HTML format the links are clickable.

That could, very well, be the case.
I noticed that my webmail and Windows Phone makes plain text links clickable, but each one would break the line (and link) if it was too long.
I sent myself a plain and html test e-mail, but I won't be able to get it on a Windows 8 machine until late tonight.
JJ

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I use Outlook, since I have an Office365 subscription and also for this reason. Hyperlinks in plain text emails are clickable in Outlook.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hmm can we enable HTML emails? Forums

What device are you using: PC/Mac/smartphone? Are you using web-based email or an email client? Which kind of web-based email or email client are you using?

How to enable HTML email format is dependent upon the device you are using and the type of email. If you answer those questions, then people should be better able to assist you.

andrewkeith5

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
What device are you using: PC/Mac/smartphone? Are you using web-based email or an email client? Which kind of web-based email or email client are you using?

How to enable HTML email format is dependent upon the device you are using and the type of email. If you answer those questions, then people should be better able to assist you.

er...I think the question was more along the lines of "can WPC please send HTML emails so that links from the forum can be clicked in the Mail app"...

Incidentally, and whilst we're on the subject... how come on WP8, the html link in alerts from the forums is clickable, but the 'direct to app' link isn't?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720