Removing password from windows key + L lock screen

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I just installed Windows 8.1 and I am happy with it mostly

But I was wondering if there were any ways to disable password when you log in from lockscreen with windows key + L.

I have already disabled log in screen from turning on and from sleeping mode, but is there anyway to disable password log in from windows key + L lock screen?

The windows key + L lock screen is actually useful when I want to turn off the display, but do not want to turn the laptop to sleep completely.

I have looked through windows settings and there is just no option to disable password from the lock screen.

I hope what I am asking is clear, but if you need any more clarification, please let me know!

Thanks.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm running Windows 8.1.

In Windows 8.1 go to Charms>Settings>Change PC Settings>Accounts>Sign-in Options>Password Policy (Change so password is not required when waking this PC from sleep).

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
OP, you are miss using Windows + L. That key means lock the PC so that others can't peep into your PC without a password. Remove the password requirement means it no longer lock the PC. Totally different option.

You can either turn off the monitor or configure power button to turn off the monitor instead of sleep the PC (the default).

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I see what you mean now. Thanks!

I am on a laptop and my laptop lacks a keyboard shortcut to turn off the display. I think I might just have to put the laptop to sleep, when I want an empty screen.

Here is another question then, I know it is possible to use 4 digit pin for waking up the computer from sleep, but can I use the 4 digit pin for waking up from the windows + L lock screen?

anon(5379091)

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I see what you mean now. Thanks!

I am on a laptop and my laptop lacks a keyboard shortcut to turn off the display. I think I might just have to put the laptop to sleep, when I want an empty screen.

Here is another question then, I know it is possible to use 4 digit pin for waking up the computer from sleep, but can I use the 4 digit pin for waking up from the windows + L lock screen?
When you put your laptop to sleep, it wakes up locked. When you press windows + L, your laptop is locked. You may use your password or pin to unlock your device. So the answer is yes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire