"OneDrive" is incompatible with Windows 8.1, hilarious

Status
Not open for further replies.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I have had absolutely zero problems with SkyDrive/OneDrive on any of my Windows 8.1 PCs. However, my mother has had a ton of syncing and uploading issues on her 8.1 PC at home, and it has been frustrating me to try to help her fix it. She's thinking about reinstalling the OS.

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Some of these posts have helpful information, but parts of them are forgetting:

1) I'm not a technical user, all I know is that something used to work before, and now does not... With no explanation.

2) Microsoft wants to work and play in the "it just works" arena. Well this is what it is. I'm a casual user who is frustrated that a feature that I frequently used has vanished. No explanation given. (for example, I've never heard of live mesh)

I will attempt some of the ideas given here, thank you to those who posted helpful information.

Btw still waiting for the highly intelligent WAPOZ to reply.

From what I am reading, it does work, just differently than you are used to. It sounds like you just need to spend some time learning how it works now.. I dint know from experience, and I'm on Wp 8 but still rocking windows 7 on my laptop. I need to update, but am waiting until 8.1 releases.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
From what I am reading, it does work, just differently than you are used to. It sounds like you just need to spend some time learning how it works now.. I dint know from experience, and I'm on Wp 8 but still rocking windows 7 on my laptop. I need to update, but am waiting until 8.1 releases.

Are you referring to Windows or Windows Phone? Windows 8.1 has been out for awhile now.

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I'm an confused then. I thought there was a major windows update coming out concurrent with the WP 8.1 update.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Maybe I'm an confused then. I thought there was a major windows update coming out concurrent with the WP 8.1 update.

Chances are that is Windows 8.1 Update 1. No clue why they chose that name, but that's what we're getting.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Btw still waiting for the highly intelligent WAPOZ to reply.
Wait, you actually don't understand why wapoz had a go at you?

Your title: "OneDrive" is incompatible with Windows 8.1, hilarious
wapoz: Op makes a fool of himself, hilarious.
Your response: Can you remote in to your 8.1 PC from a laptop through SkyDrive?

Due to your desire to sensationalise your actual problem, you've ended up completely off base. Here is what you said: OneDrive is incompatible and broken. Here is the reality: a feature was removed and you are experiencing issues with sync. That first point is irrelevant to your thread title because SkyDrive/OneDrive is fundamentally a cloud storage solution, not remote file access software. The second point is an issue that you will encounter with all comparable services, because cloud synchronisation is hard and no one does it perfectly.

Enjoy your iPhone. I hear iCloud syncing is fantastic, just like Apple's non-existent cloud storage solution with remote file access.

FredBobo2100

May 2, 2014
Visit site
onedrive-incompatible-windows-8-1-hilarious continued

In this thread:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-8/266187-onedrive-incompatible-windows-8-1-hilarious.html

EchoOne30 opined about how onedrive no longer works correctly in 8.1.

He is correct. It does not work as sky/onedrive works on pre- 8.1 computers.

The key information is he upgraded the computer. (Reading for comprehension was supposed to be learned in second grade.)

8.1 onedrive integration is ONLY available when the local computer is used as a Microsoft owned device: that is a LOCAL user is not allowed access to the onedrive folders. ONLY MS accounts have such access. Making the computer primarily a MS network client.

Most of the responders in the thread obviously are not upgraders. And way probably not business users.

This change to onedrive's functionality means I will be changing clients away from onedrive to dropbox, fastmail.fm,.... to retain reasonable control of their LOCAL computers.

A big step backwards on this one.

Same kind on stupidity: Outlook 2013 is REQUIRED to download all message bodies, attachements, and spam crap, when using IMAP. The standard default setting for IMAP does not in anyway increase a user's happiness. Just dumb.

Some one posts a message that, "It is raining and cloudy here," and the main response is "IT'S NOT RAINING HERE!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon