Problem with Bing Live Tiles on W 8.1 Start Screen?

yarvelling

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi!
Over the past few days, I've noticed that the Live-Tiles for the Bing apps have stopped updating on the Windows 8.1 Start screen. I currently have Weather, Bing News, Food & Drink, and Health & Fitness installed. They are only showing the blank default icons. I have checked that they are set to live tile and not static. The apps appear to work ok if I click on them to open them - the weather app is the one I use most often, and I find now that it has to refresh on opening....
Other Live-Tiles are working just fine!
The Bing apps on my W8 phone work OK too, so I wondered if anyone else has noticed this, or have I missed a news item somewhere mentioning it?

Dev Seth

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Check your data limit for updating of live tiles. On Windows 8 or 8.1, go to charms > settings > tiles. Then change the limit by selecting from the drop-down menu.
It should look more or less like this:

Screenshot_3.png
If the problem is still there, there might be some problem with the Bing apps or it may be a W8.1 bug (there are loads of them).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please hit 'Thanks' if I helped you!

Last edited:

yarvelling

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi Dev... thanks, had a look under charms/settings but I can't find any 'tiles' option! Anyway, I started to think more and realised that the problems with the tiles started around the same time that I installed Bitdefender Total Security to 'upgrade' the Microsoft Defender... Uninstalled it, rebooted, and and the Live Tiles are back... :) So some deep seated setting in the Bitdefender Firewall was blocking the tiles access to the net... :/