I need to get a Windows 8 PC (Laptop convertible) and need your opinion on Acer R7....

Arun3

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
So, I have an aging MacBook Pro (2008) which I used heavily (both carrying to and fro from school and working on my thesis and all) during grad school. I think it's time to replace it with a Windows 8 PC. I have a Surface RT which I use the most when I am home to watch Hulu and read news/browse web/Skype with my parents... And I have a Windows 7 desktop at work... I think I don't need a Laptop/ultrabook that is "pricey and with the latest specs" for my now "once in a while" non-intensive use....you get the idea... So here is the thing...

I saw this deal on Groupon for Acer R7 15.6' convertible (Manufacturer refurbished) for $549... I think I have seen Mr. Rubino had some choice nice words about its design and the uniqueness of the device... And most reviewers seem to slam it because of its unconventionally placed trackpad...

So to the configurations: It has a Full HD display (1080p), i5-3337U-1.8GHz processor, 6GB of DDR3 SDRAM and 500GB Hard drive... It seems it's hard to beat the price for what you are getting...

Should I get it?
Yes...because....
No... because....

Thanks in advance for your help... :)
Ram..

P.S: I am not big on gaming (play SimCity and some Tycoon games occasionally)...lol. Mostly need a PC for MS Office use, for lite photo editing, browsing and watching random stuff....

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Just an idea...but what about trying to cash out your Surface RT for a couple hundred and putting that + your $500 you are willing to spend and get a Surface Pro? Some may like keeping only 1 device, others might like having the multiple devices but just an idea.

I have an Acer V5, we bought it 2 Christmas ago and it is holding up very well. It doesn't have a new space age hinge like the R7 does but I do feel we got a quality laptop at a very economic price. Nothing flashy but does what it should. It feels like the Kia of laptops, haha. It is only an i3 though, and you could feel it was under powered from day 1, but it worked perfect for what we needed (something the wife could take anywhere and use it to study and type papers and work on homework). With having the touch screen though, you really do not use the mouse as much as you did in the past. It would take a lot to get used to that, but also something that is completely a moot point if you carry a wireless mouse with you most places anyway.

Awkanu

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
On my side, i will never buy an Acer. The main problem with Acer is the case/cosmetic... I was working for a company who repair laptop some years ago and the biggest % of claims on Acer is for that. Hinges, case, etc... In your case, there is a big hinges, i don't know if i would trust it...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12