My love/hate relationship with Windows 8.1 so far

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
OK, here's the deal. I avoided Windows 8 after a somewhat disappointing experience with the beta. Stayed that way until I picked up my Dell Venue 8 Pro running 8.1 about a month ago and fell in love with it. So, I went ahead and bought a new laptop running 8.1 as well. So far I've had a really good experience with the exception of a couple of things.

First is an issue with Bluetooth. Shortly after I purchased my new laptop I went and dropped $39.99 on a Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Mouse. I have found that the mouse loses it's connection roughly every 10-30 minutes or so. Turning the power off to the mouse and then switching it back on gets it to reconnect, but I'm sure you can understand how this would get pretty frustrating after you've done it about 20 times before lunch. From what I understand, this is a fault with Windows 8.1 rather than the mouse itself as there was a setting in Windows 8 that allowed you to tell the computer not to power down Bluetooth when idle. Apparently they removed that setting in 8.1 and this is the maddening consequence.

Second, and I know from doing a web search that I'm not alone on this, every time I launch the Games app it completely locks up my computer. Not only that, but it also appears that Microsoft has removed the ability to edit one's avatar in the 8.1 version of this same app which I find a bit annoying as I don't have an Xbox at the moment.

In any case, I bring both of these up in the hopes that someone may have had similar experiences and perhaps have a solution to one or both of the problems. Other than these two minor gotchas I absolutely love 8.1 and am anxiously looking forward to Update 1 next month. Thanks in advance.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
If you have a Windows Phone, you could edit your avatar with ease. This is an alternative to the Games hub on Windows.

As for the Bluetooth problem, until they fix it, try going for a cheap Bluetooth dongle or something. Having to navigate anything using a track pad (aside from the gestures, of course) is frustrating.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
The OP specifically said that he liked 8.1 a lot.

From his post, I don't see a reason for him to downgrade. Of course, the Bluetooth problem might be enough, but I see a fault in the drivers, if there's anything wrong.

LOL, right you are. I do indeed like it quite a bit and very much wonder why it has such a bum rap at this point. Just bad press overall, methinks. I didn't really "get it" myself until I was using touch on the Venue 8 Pro. I was with Windows Phone from just after launch day til about 7.5. I had upgraded to a new handset when just a little while after Microsoft announced that it was on a list of hardware that wasn't ever going to see another software upgrade so I was a little bitter about that. Windows 8, however, has wooed me to the point that I very much intend to come back to it. I'm just waiting for the WP 8.1 devices to drop before I get a new phone so I don't end up with buyer's remorse again.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I suggest buying a USB OTG cable for cheap and use a normal USB wireless mouse. Bluetooth is stupid.

For my laptop? Why would I need an OTG cable? But yeah, about the Bluetooth. I agree that it seems pretty hit and miss. This is my first BT mouse and I've been frustrated to the point that I already broke out my old 2.4GHz Mobile Mouse 1000. That thing is a trooper, but a little uncomfortable to use for extended periods of time. Just wish my return period for the Sculpt hadn't expired already.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
The Bluetooth issue is on Dell. Our company has about 5000 users with Dell laptops and there are a lot of complaints about what you describe. This is on Windows 7. Windows 8 is similar. On other machines it doesn't seem to be a problem with 7 or 8 unless you have the latest Intel 7260 wireless card installed.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
The Bluetooth issue is on Dell. Our company has about 5000 users with Dell laptops and there are a lot of complaints about what you describe. This is on Windows 7. Windows 8 is similar. On other machines it doesn't seem to be a problem with 7 or 8 unless you have the latest Intel 7260 wireless card installed.

Hm. Well, I was just going off what I read in many different places that the Power Management tab for Bluetooth devices was a Windows 8 thing that resolved the issue regardless of platform. *shrugs*

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Have you checked Device Manager under the Bluetooth device?

Open Device Manager
Expand Bluetooth
Right click on Bluetooth Radio and click properties
Under the power management tab clear the checkbox "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

Bluetooth radio is a device on my system but may be listed as a different name on theirs. Just right click on each device and look at the properties windows. Do this until you find ones with the Power Management tab.

Hope that all made sense.:winktongue:

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Have you checked Device Manager under the Bluetooth device?

Open Device Manager
Expand Bluetooth
Right click on Bluetooth Radio and click properties
Under the power management tab clear the checkbox "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

Bluetooth radio is a device on my system but may be listed as a different name on theirs. Just right click on each device and look at the properties windows. Do this until you find ones with the Power Management tab.

Hope that all made sense.:winktongue:

As per my original post, that's what was removed in 8.1, thus the problem. No such setting under the BT module in Device Manager.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
As per my original post, that's what was removed in 8.1, thus the problem. No such setting under the BT module in Device Manager.

I saw that but I checked my Dell Venue 8 Pro that is running Windows 8.1 and that option is there. Maybe your Bluetooth drivers need updated? Did you check the properties of all the Bluetooth devices listed?

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Ok. Maybe check the properties of your WiFi adapter for the power management tab. A long shot but some WiFi adapters also have the Bluetooth built into them.

Another place would be the HID devices. If your mouse is listed under this section maybe that is where the power management is located.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Ok. Maybe check the properties of your WiFi adapter for the power management tab. A long shot but some WiFi adapters also have the Bluetooth built into them.

Another place would be the HID devices. If your mouse is listed under this section maybe that is where the power management is located.

It is a combined device, and I already unchecked the block on the Power Management tab for the Wireless properties some time last week. Didn't make any difference. :/

I'm putting this mouse up for sale and getting a Sculpt Ergonomic Mouse with the 2.4 GHz connector. So if you know anyone that want's a Sculpt Comfort Mouse cheap, keep an eye on eBay,,,,,,,

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Well, that was unpleasant. I found a Bluetooth device reference under HID and unchecked the setting in the PM tab and as soon as I did I got a blue screen. Wasn't expecting that. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes