04-15-2014 11:23 PM
39 12
tools
    Disable universal scaling in the screen resolution settings. Then you can set scaling individually for each monitor

Did it, doesn't work that simple. Scaling was still horrible.
    04-08-2014 06:48 PM
    Luckily for me I don't plan on using a monitor. Sucks that the scaling is off though.

Posted via the WPC App for Android on my BlackBerry
    04-08-2014 07:02 PM
    The perfect device would be a SP2 that is 13 inched. Unfortunately they don't make them. Regarding the Sony VAIO series. I find the keyboards horrible. I have difficulty typing on them. Not all of them but some of the hybrids.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
    jojoe42 likes this.
    04-10-2014 01:13 PM
    So guys I've made my decision. Today I took the long drive down to the Microsoft Store and bought the Toshiba KIRAbook. So far, very happy with my purchase. I wanted to get the Surface Pro 2 badly, but the lack of an SD card slot made it impractical for me. I'm also kind of banking on the Surface Mini with a pen as rumored which would be perfect for notes.

jojoe42 likes this.
    04-12-2014 08:38 PM
    So guys I've made my decision. Today I took the long drive down to the Microsoft Store and bought the Toshiba KIRAbook. So far, very happy with my purchase. I wanted to get the Surface Pro 2 badly, but the lack of an SD card slot made it impractical for me. I'm also kind of banking on the Surface Mini with a pen as rumored which would be perfect for notes.

I swear the sp2 has a SD card spot. My OG SP has one.

04-12-2014 09:01 PM
    I am currently in the same spot as the OP. I have scoured the internet for ultrabooks, and I came up with my ultimate decision: The ASUS Transformer Book TX300.

The Mobile Tech Reviews YouTube channel was absolutely invaluable for my searching. They compared all of the ultrabooks/2-in-1/convertibles mentioned in this thread, and the ASUS Transformer Book TX300 came out on top for me.

- Detachable keyboard from tablet
    - Tablet and keyboard each have batteries
    - Has a built in cat5 jack (HUGE for me as most ultrabooks usually don't have this built in)
    - The tablet portion comes with a 128GB SSD drive loaded with the OS and the keyboard comes with an extra 500GB HDD (amazing!) The second drive is recognized as a mass storage device and communicates over USB 3.0.
    - The tablet is running an Intel i7 and gets 6 hours of battery life (in practice)
    - Micro HDMI (on tablet)
    - Micro SDXC slot (on tablet)
    - Two USB 3.0 jacks (on keyboard)
    - mini DisplayPort (on keyboard)
    - SD card slot (on keyboard)
    - Aluminum construction
    - 13.1" screen
    - Beautiful looking machine!

I highly recommend watching this review and checking out their written article:
    rdubmu likes this.
    04-12-2014 09:22 PM
    I swear the sp2 has a SD card spot. My OG SP has one.

It has a MicroSD, but not a full SD

rdubmu and jojoe42 like this.
    04-12-2014 09:32 PM
    I am currently in the same spot as the OP. I have scoured the internet for ultrabooks, and I came up with my ultimate decision: The ASUS Transformer Book TX300.

The Mobile Tech Reviews YouTube channel was absolutely invaluable for my searching. They compared all of the ultrabooks/2-in-1/convertibles mentioned in this thread, and the ASUS Transformer Book TX300 came out on top for me.

- Detachable keyboard from tablet
    - Tablet and keyboard each have batteries
    - Has a built in cat5 jack (HUGE for me as most ultrabooks usually don't have this built in)
    - The tablet portion comes with a 128GB SSD drive loaded with the OS and the keyboard comes with an extra 500GB HDD (amazing!) The second drive is recognized as a mass storage device and communicates over USB 3.0.
    - The tablet is running an Intel i7 and gets 6 hours of battery life (in practice)
    - Micro HDMI (on tablet)
    - Micro SDXC slot (on tablet)
    - Two USB 3.0 jacks (on keyboard)
    - mini DisplayPort (on keyboard)
    - SD card slot (on keyboard)
    - Aluminum construction
    - 13.1" screen
    - Beautiful looking machine!

I highly recommend watching this review and checking out their written article:
    Glad you like it! There are so many computers so you gotta find the one that fits your needs.

I also love MobileTechReview. They, along with CNET, are my main sources of reviews. I was disappointed that Lisa (MTR) didn't review the KIRAbook though.

04-12-2014 09:37 PM
    Glad you like it! There are so many computers so you gotta find the one that fits your needs.

I also love MobileTechReview. They, along with CNET, are my main sources of reviews. I was disappointed that Lisa (MTR) didn't review the KIRAbook though.

I hear that! Finding a computer that fits your individual needs is key. Price ($1,100 on Amazon), features, and design - The ASUS Transformer Book TX300 was my choice! :)
    04-12-2014 10:08 PM
    Vaio is dead - I won't put my money on it. Lenovo Yoga Pro 2 or Surface Pro 2 are REALLY decent choices, next would be ATIV book. What's up with Dell ultrabooks? Not good enough?
    This is a great summary; stay away from VAIO, not only is it dead, but Sony's customer support is the worst around. Surface is a great choice, but for photo editing, maybe you would need an external monitor, 10" just seems too small for that, but on the other hand you can't beat the surface when it comes to note taking in lectures, and with OneNote you can sync audio recording of the lecture with you hand written notes.
    04-13-2014 07:49 AM
    I found the Yoga 2 Pro to be horrid. My two biggest complaints revolved around the screen.
    -Horrific light edge bleed. It bugged me to no end...
    -Broken auto brightness adjustment. It wouldn't even turn off when I tried. The bloat on top of all other things annoyed me as well. A Lenovo sourced PDF reader? c'mon.
    The color issue is fixed easily enough if you mess around with the color profiles... no biggie there. The Yoga 2 Pro is a tad on the budget side despite the price. While you do get a whopper of a screen, it lacks USB 3.0 all around, and has to work with no ac support on the wifi. Anyway... despite the cool idea, I ended up returning the Lenovo and got myself an Asus Zenbook.

I'd honestly recommend the Zenbook over the Surface 2 and Zenbook. Battery life is quite nice with a solid 4-6 hours of usage... not sure how they do the tests, but I tend to surf forums, and work on papers quite a bit. Nice 13 inch 1080p screen... so no scaling issues on my end. And apparently some of the Zenbooks have upgradable memory... huge plus in my books. Sure it lacks a SSD, but you do get a nice 500 gig spinny drive with an extra 24 gigs of attached solid state.

Honestly... only issue I have with my Zenbook is it doesn't cause me to relax in stressful times, and the onboard headphone out is a bit crappy. Otherwise I'm more than happy with this thing. The key travel is nice, and quite springy. I'd say it feels better than the Yoga's keyboard. Looks very nice as well.

EDIT: Just to add on to this. The Surface 2 Pro, while a really nifty device, failed to meet my requirements for a nice keyboard. The 10 in. form factor just didn't jive with me. I guess you could get used to it, but in my case, I found a standard integrated keyboard much more useful.
    You could give a look to Dell and HP as well. While their reputation isn't exactly spotless, I'd say their higher end offerings are very competent. I found the HP Spectre to be quite a pretty looking device. Interesting ideas implemented, but a tad pricey. Dell I think as the XPS line which can convert over to a tablet mode as well. I'm assuming they are quite good... according to one of my friends at least.
    04-14-2014 06:03 PM
    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND YOUR SANITY, PLEASE STAY FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR AWAY FROM SONY VAIO FIT FLIP 13A

my first post on WPCentral - I felt strongly enough to create an account and post when I saw this post.
    I can elaborate more if you have questions, but just take my word for it.... the 11A has been canceled because its too big of a piece of junk to function, and the 13A is not far behind.
    xandros9 and KoreyTM like this.
    04-15-2014 08:02 AM
    This is a great summary; stay away from VAIO, not only is it dead, but Sony's customer support is the worst around. Surface is a great choice, but for photo editing, maybe you would need an external monitor, 10" just seems too small for that, but on the other hand you can't beat the surface when it comes to note taking in lectures, and with OneNote you can sync audio recording of the lecture with you hand written notes.
    ~ nailed it

OP, a good digitizer is worth its weight in gold - keep that in mind as you shop around. Wacom is top of the line obviously, but there are also things to consider like pen ergonomics and functionality (e.g. how you might 'erase' with it: 2 button configuration, sensor @ top of pen, etc)
    04-15-2014 08:04 AM
    ~ nailed it

OP, a good digitizer is worth its weight in gold - keep that in mind as you shop around. Wacom is top of the line obviously, but there are also things to consider like pen ergonomics and functionality (e.g. how you might 'erase' with it: 2 button configuration, sensor @ top of pen, etc)
    Before you do buy a surface... I'd recommend you try it out in the store for a few minutes. I came into the store thinking that the Surface 2 would be the one device to replace all my paper ever. Sadly it did not live up to my expectations. Maybe I lacked the touch or having gotten used to it. Maybe my note taking style doesn't favor things with batteries, but I do recommend you at least try it before buying it.

As for the Sony Flip comment. Not sure what exactly made it the pile of junk that led you to create an account to hate on it, but I can't disagree too much. I question the long term durability of the flip hinge and the cables associated with it. Pain to tablet mode it as well. Looking back at my comment... it does appear you are mainly searching for a tablet with typing capability.

With this in mind... I'd guess the Surface 2 is the best option for you. While the battery life is not stellar, the digitizer is a great addition, and the form factor is excellent. Still wasn't enamored with the keyboards... touch or type. Just didn't give me the room or typing pleasure of the Asus or HP.
    04-15-2014 11:23 PM
39 12