It's tuesday, where's the 8.1 update?

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Just got it here in Texas. Oddly, my Surface RT got it before my PC and Laptop did though (PC and Laptop got other updates first, just got the major update about 10 minutes ago).

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, quick question. When I click the "x" to close the modern app in desktop (or anywhere for that matter) it still shows up in task manager. The only way to close it fully is to alt F4. Is there a way to make it fully close when hitting the "x"?

denispage

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Windows 8.1 I've already installed in two machines. If you talking about the WP 8.1 dev preview, rumors says that will be available in April 14th.

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, quick question. When I click the "x" to close the modern app in desktop (or anywhere for that matter) it still shows up in task manager. The only way to close it fully is to alt F4. Is there a way to make it fully close when hitting the "x"?

that is because most of the apps will run in the background to fetch new data, similar to smartphone apps. It is closed, its just doing its job to keep you up to date. Since you opened it, its checking things out.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
that is because most of the apps will run in the background to fetch new data, similar to smartphone apps. It is closed, its just doing its job to keep you up to date. Since you opened it, its checking things out.

Yeah it makes sense, it's just I'd rather close the apps if I hit the "x" otherwise I could just minimize it or hit start button and let it run in the background. Just a minor issue anyway..I can live with alt F4

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

would be nice to have a way to close it without having to Alt+F4. Perhaps they could have a minimize, close, and kill option along the top.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Are you talking about the taskbar or the multitasker charm on the left side? See my post about right clicking on the taskbar and changing the navigation settings.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Are you talking about the taskbar or the multitasker charm on the left side? See my post about right clicking on the taskbar and changing the navigation settings.

I'm talking about the modern apps. The "x" in the upper right corner doesn't fully close the app. It still runs in the background. Same as right clicking in the taskbar and in the app list on the left. App still runs in the background.

What setting do i change in the navigation menu?

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm talking about the modern apps. The "x" in the upper right corner doesn't fully close the app. It still runs in the background. Same as right clicking in the taskbar and in the app list on the left. App still runs in the background.

What setting do i change in the navigation menu?

I'm not in front of my PC so can't try what you're saying. So, when you click on X they go where? App switching charm or taskbar on the desktop?

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not in front of my PC so can't try what you're saying. So, when you click on X they go where? App switching charm or taskbar on the desktop?

No worries. Basically when i click X it doesn't show in taskbar or app switching list. It does still show in task manager though. When i open the app again it's as if it resumes from state when i closed it.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Just some minor changes, if you were looking for something major it didn't happen with the regular OS 8.1 update 1 which rolled out today.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte