It's tuesday, where's the 8.1 update?

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Oh really? Check yr memory usage

I thought this at first, but after a while the memory usage does indeed go down, around 5mins or so. Even Project Spark goes down to around 0.3mb. Still, the X should represent closing apps and maybe something else to suspend apps. I mean even the X in WP8 closes apps, why should it be different in the desktop.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I thought this at first, but after a while the memory usage does indeed go down, around 5mins or so. Even Project Spark goes down to around 0.3mb. Still, the X should represent closing apps and maybe something else to suspend apps. I mean even the X in WP8 closes apps, why should it be different in the desktop.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. Ah well, it's all fine! I have barely any apps on my laptop (where memory etc is at a premium) and Windows Store has been blocked on it as well. Friend's VPN seems to be blocking it.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
This was a long install, and it ate up a lot of WiFi. I had to do 2 desktops and a laptop and it took all evening. Had to 'restart the install several times on one of the desktops.

Sent from my KFTT using Mobile Nations mobile app

Paul Foulkes

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
ANyone still waiting for the update? Mine was not happening then I looked in the update/downloads and it was there. Just click the box and away you go. Took me about 30 mins to download and upgrade ( with one restart). Very happy with the new functions. Bizzarrely I have moved away from the internet browser as my access to most things and now use the pinned apps in the taskbar. Love it. Open everything direct from start screen, and now getting used to using the OneDrive app as the file explorer/manager - works a treat. NO NEED for the old start button - time to move on

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
No worries. Basically when i click X it doesn't show in taskbar or app switching list. It does still show in task manager though. When i open the app again it's as if it resumes from state when i closed it.
Yes this is true. Even when we close the app from the store, it still shows up in the task manager.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes this is true. Even when we close the app from the store, it still shows up in the task manager.

If you wish to completely close an app when you're done with it (instead of just suspending it like a normal drag-down/X click does), drag down from the top either with mouse or touch but pause just before the app thumbnail goes away. After a few seconds the thumbnail will rotate and change from a thumbnail of what was active in the application to a thumbnail of the app's Start Screen tile. Then drag it the rest of the way off screen and the app will be fully closed.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
If you wish to completely close an app when you're done with it (instead of just suspending it like a normal drag-down/X click does), drag down from the top either with mouse or touch but pause just before the app thumbnail goes away. After a few seconds the thumbnail will rotate and change from a thumbnail of what was active in the application to a thumbnail of the app's Start Screen tile. Then drag it the rest of the way off screen and the app will be fully closed.
Guys, I think you're obsessing over whether the apps are either suspended or fully closed. Let's just enjoy the OS! Remember the days when only a few could afford a PC at home?

Foma Kiniaev

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site

Nice info, didnt know that. Will try tomorrow

instantk

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I installed 8 on xp hardware as dual boot (1 gb ram core 2 duo pc), before the update running metro apps along desktop apps made it hang everytime..but now they r working fine together. But still i think ms should reduce the ram usage further it is 750mb+ (with all apps closed- except eset nod32 and fewer tiles on start). Xp has normal ram usage of only 350 mb and with updated antivirus sw it has run smoothly for 5 yrs without any malware thing. I have switched from various antivirus suites over this period so i m quite sure that my pc is virus free. I hv seen even pcs running 8.1 carrying a good population of malware.

Sent from my RM-914_im_india_269 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel