W8.1 Update - Fast!

deejohdumb

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Disclaimer, this is not a stupid "seems faster joke" please don't even go there.

With that said, I just updated my surface pro today and it is significantly faster than before. I thought it was fast pre-update but is quicker now. Loving it so far.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I noticed the fastlyness too - it's awesome! I updated my Surface Pro too and I noticed pretty fast battery depletion, are you noticing this?

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Lol can you provide proof of this claim :p

Which claim? Windows 8.1 update's speed or my battery drain problem? Anyway I couldn't either way without taking a using that screen video tool from the accessories start screen section.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Which claim? Windows 8.1 update's speed or my battery drain problem? Anyway I couldn't either way without taking a using that screen video tool from the accessories start screen section.

just the speed, but that's no necessary lol i was just messing around and i realize the work it would take just to provide us with proof isn't exactly worth it unless you were getting paid which you are not.. or am i wrong :eek:

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
just the speed, but that's no necessary lol i was just messing around and i realize the work it would take just to provide us with proof isn't exactly worth it unless you were getting paid which you are not.. or am i wrong :eek:

Notes to self:
Why so serious?!
Seems faster.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
The battery appears to be the same, crappy.

The Surface Pro's battery isn't bad, I get three hours sometimes when using AutoDesk Inventor (3D design application) and up to 4.5 to 6 hours when just having open/using Word, OneNote, Outlook, and IE11. It's just a matter of what you're doing. After I downloaded Update 1 I was just rearranging tiles and taskbar icons, which surprised me how fast the battery depleted with no applications open at all.

deejohdumb

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
It really isn't that bad. It just doesn't ever last all day for me. I use it in school for about 6 hours of class time each day, so I use it a bit. Fortunately, I am always close to an outlet so its a non-issue for me. Its far more superior to any other tablets used by the other students in my classes.

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Those seeing a rapidly depleting battery should check the Task Manager. I see one process, Windows Modules Installer Worker, eating 39.4% of the CPU. I assume this has something to do with the installation and will only be a temporary thing. While typing that I saw a second CPU hog appear: ".NET Runtime Optimization Service".

Win81's Desktop is so good and so fast that it's a terrible shame all that good work was thrown away by the WinRT/Metro disaster. Win81's Desktop is, without a doubt, the best version of "Windows" so far. Super fast, super compatible, super complete OS. What was MSFT thinking???

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know if there's a way to stop the taskbar from hiding when in metro apps and the start screen?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I was impressed with the speed of the 8.1 Update 1. Updating from 8 to 8.1 took hours via the Store. I'm glad Microsoft went back to the traditional Windows Update for the 8.1 Update 1, like they did with the SPs in earlier versions of Windows. This update took only 10 minutes to download and install.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I was impressed with the speed of the 8.1 Update 1. Updating from 8 to 8.1 took hours via the Store. I'm glad Microsoft went back to the traditional Windows Update for the 8.1 Update 1, like they did with the SPs in earlier versions of Windows. This update took only 10 minutes to download and install.

At work we dread when we have to update a PC to W8.1, which is pretty much every new PC we take out of the box. I don't believe we've gotten one yet from our distributors that came with 8.1 preinstalled. Besides the 3.63GB download, it takes awhile to install. Update 1 was much faster. But, installing 8.1 is basically a new OS install, whereas Update 1 is just an update.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
^because 8.1 is a new OS install while update 1 really is just an update.
very obvious from the way Microsoft calls them.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site

10 minutes!!! Do you have google fiber or something?!

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I would like to know as well.

I too found my Surface 2 to be much faster and smoother.

Confirmed through Winsupport twitter account: no keeping task bar on metro apps and start screen. Now I have to wait a whole four months for the metro apps integration with the desktop. {:...[

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
piklokz