Disable modern app title bar and reverse the right click on start screen back to vanilla 8.1?

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I just installed W8.1U1 and I really can't stand the black bar on top of modern app, as well as the right click on the Start Screen. I just want the good ol' one back!

herbertsnow

Banned
Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I just installed W8.1U1 and I really can't stand the black bar on top of modern app, as well as the right click on the Start Screen. I just want the good ol' one back!

Yeah it is pretty stupid isn't it. I'm not installing this update until I find a way to get rid of all the desktop crap. But my first guess is some hack that would trick the OS into thinking your PC is a tablet. There should be options to get rid of this crap.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
If you are using touch, you never have to see what you are complaining about; and when you are using keyboard/mouse the functionality is 100x better after update 1. The only thing that needs to be fixed is some of the options so you could fine-tune the bahaviour if you are on hybrid devices like the Surface Pro, where you are frequently switching between keyboard/mouse and touch setups.

elmacho

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I just did a system restore to get back to vanilla 8.1 .Productivity maybe improved but this update still looks like a work in progress.Now,if Microsoft is bringing back the start menu,why did they just ship this now and why is it an update we can`t skip ?
I feel instead of trying to make the OS run the same way across all devices,irrespective of whether the device is a touchscreen or not,they should, in the next update, check,whether the device is a touchscreen or not and then give a start menu with the start screen functionality(live tiles), taskbar and windowed apps for desktop users and the start screen,modern apps for touchscreen users.

paulsalter

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
These are my only 2 issues with this update

Title bar is easily ignored, but would like it gone

The right click on start menu looks really odd and doesn't seem to stick with any standards in the metro interface, right click in an app it's the old way, no consistency

personally for me I want the same experience if I use my touchscreen/track pad gestures or if I use the mouse

These 2 changes look like they where added on as an afterthought

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The right click on start menu ... no consistency

Not entirely true... if you were to right-click on the "start button" in the lower-left corner in "vanilla" Windows 8.1, you'd get the same style context menu. It might have been the same in "vanilla" Windows 8, although it was a corner right-click as there was no "start button"; I don't entirely remember, heh.

Same with right-clicking on a running Modern app in the, eh, left-hand charms/task/app bar, I'm not sure what it's called. But doing so would get the same style context menu there, too.

So, there is some consistency there.

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Not entirely true... if you were to right-click on the "start button" in the lower-left corner in "vanilla" Windows 8.1, you'd get the same style context menu. It might have been the same in "vanilla" Windows 8, although it was a corner right-click as there was no "start button"; I don't entirely remember, heh.

Except that right-clicking the Start button shows stuffs on the desktop.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Except that right-clicking the Start button shows stuffs on the desktop.

...so? My point was that the new context menu for tiles shares consistency with other context menus on modern elements, like the lower-left corner/start button right-click and the app bar right-click. The design elements and activator of all three of those context menus are the same; they're consistent with each other.

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
...so? My point was that the new context menu for tiles shares consistency with other context menus on modern elements, like the lower-left corner/start button right-click and the app bar right-click. The design elements and activator of all three of those context menus are the same; they're consistent with each other.

The right click on start screen must be a Metro design, but right-clicking the start button should be desktop-esque, cuz they're all stuff for use on the desktop and most people won't have any reason to reach these places.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You're still missing my point, try to keep up.

paulsalter said, "The right click on start menu looks really odd and doesn't seem to stick with any standards in the metro interface..." I pointed out that he's partly incorrect because the right-click on the lower-left corner/start button and the right-click on apps in the app bar - both in the metro interface - share the same context menus and are standards. So there is consistency between the right-click on tiles context menu and those other right-click context menus.

It has nothing to do with where the options on the context menus go, or what happens when you click one of the menu options; if you right-click a tile on the start screen, right-click the start button, or right-click a running app in the app bar, the context menus all share the same stylistic elements and are consistent with each other.

paulsalter

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
just to clarify a bit more on what I was meaning earlier (might have worded wrongly)

If they want a right click with a menu appearing where the pointer is, click the new power button on the start screen, I have seen this menu in other apps and to me this looks nicer than a desktop style menu appearing on modern/metro screen, why did they go for the desktop style with this right click?

the other thing was, we now get this new menu so why when I run an app do I get the original style option of menus at the bottom, appreciate this could be down to the app developers, but to me this looks odd as it's one way on the start screen and another in the apps

Understand all that's been said about the menu in bottom left so not repeated that

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss