Hi, I was excited to update my PC, but after reading some comments from a WPC news , I start thinking to pass this update.
    So what you think?
    04-09-2014 05:59 AM
    I would suggest updating to 8.1 more secure, increase performance, more friendly for mouse input etc.
    FAHMI BASSEM likes this.
    04-09-2014 06:05 AM
    I would suggest updating to 8.1 more secure, increase performance, more friendly for mouse input etc.
    But I found that people hate the update specially for mouse and keyboard users
    04-09-2014 09:29 AM
    Seems a bit odd, since the update addresses features mainly for mouse/keyboard users. Also, future updates for 8.1 users will require that you have this update installed.
    04-09-2014 09:39 AM
    I strongly recommend.

The system is way snapier (faster) than before. Modern apps (metro design) can be pinned to taskbar, and by the default, all open modern apps are showed there (I turn it off). Clicking on any open app or changing apps is so fast I couldn't believe at first.

Mouse and keyboard PC's will boot straight to the desktop. GREAT improvement
    FAHMI BASSEM likes this.
    04-09-2014 09:44 AM
    Seems a bit odd, since the update addresses features mainly for mouse/keyboard users. Also, future updates for 8.1 users will require that you have this update installed.
    As a mouse and keyboard user I hate this stupid update.
    FAHMI BASSEM likes this.
    04-09-2014 10:37 AM
    I strongly recommend.

The system is way snapier (faster) than before. Modern apps (metro design) can be pinned to taskbar, and by the default, all open modern apps are showed there (I turn it off). Clicking on any open app or changing apps is so fast I couldn't believe at first.

Mouse and keyboard PC's will boot straight to the desktop. GREAT improvement
    Why does anyone still use the taskbar?
    04-09-2014 10:38 AM
    And exactly what is it that you hate? As a fellow mouse and keyboard user, at least on my desktop, I see nothing but value added with this update.
    04-09-2014 10:42 AM
    Why does anyone still use the taskbar?
    Pretty much the same reasons that they used it before.
    04-09-2014 10:43 AM
    Pretty much the same reasons that they used it before.
    I haven't used the taskbar in years. Putting it on the start screen is just dumb.
    04-09-2014 11:32 AM
    And exactly what is it that you hate? As a fellow mouse and keyboard user, at least on my desktop, I see nothing but value added with this update.
    Mouse user also, but this update is bad attempt to appease people who can't accept change. Can't learn anything new. How long before they bring back the useless start menu?
    04-09-2014 11:38 AM
    I haven't used the taskbar in years. Putting it on the start screen is just dumb.
    How so? Giving people the option to easily laucnch a desktop program from the start screen without taking up space to pin an icon is dumb? Sorry, I fail to see the dumbness in that. There are plenty of programs that I use that I'd prefer not to have pinned to my start screen taking up space. You're more than welcome to not take advantage of that, but that hardly makes it dumb. Also, it makes it easy to switch between apps for a mouse/keyboard user who understands that interface better.

You do realize that this feature is easily turned off for those, such as yourself, who prefer not to use iI? Hardly dumb to have options eh?
    04-09-2014 11:59 AM
    Mouse user also, but this update is bad attempt to appease people who can't accept change. Can't learn anything new. How long before they bring back the useless start menu?
    I disagree completely. It's an attempt to give more options that suit more people's tastes. I'd hardly say the start menu was useless. There's a reason it was used for so long.
    04-09-2014 12:02 PM
    I disagree completely. It's an attempt to give more options that suit more people's tastes. I'd hardly say the start menu was useless. There's a reason it was used for so long.
    We use to ride around on horses, want to bring that back too?
    04-09-2014 12:07 PM
    We use to ride around on horses, want to bring that back too?
    So, you have no legitimate response than? That's all you had to say.

We also drive cars using a steering wheel, but I'd venture a guess, that if we changed to joysticks tomorrow, many traffic accidents would occur. You see, sometimes change has to be accomplished in smaller steps.
    FAHMI BASSEM likes this.
    04-09-2014 12:13 PM
    I don't get it. If you don't want to use the X to close the modern apps, you can still click at the top and drag down just like before. The charms bar still there and you can still shutdown from anywhere again, just like before.
    04-09-2014 12:14 PM
    quite simple really, if you dont upgrade, you wont be getting future updates from MSFT. and this does nothing to change the way you already interact with your PC. if you are comfortable doing what you used to do, this doesnt change anything for you... i dont get why people have issues with free updates that improves the user experience across all their consumer base and not just the vocal few.

TLDR; get the update, it wont degrade your experience
    Blkacesvf41 likes this.
    04-09-2014 12:21 PM
    Windows 8 is/feels faster than W7. W8.1 feels faster than W8. 8.1.1 is just addressing some things for desktop users.

So yes. Update to the latest version of Windows. This => "But I found that people hate the update specially for mouse and keyboard users" is completely not true.

Also, I pretty much expect ALL HATE towards Windows 8 to dissipate into thin air once Microsoft releases 8.1.2/8.2/8.5/whatever update that brings back the Start Menu, even if it has a Modern-UI flavor. (there are screens around from Microsoft's //Build/ presentation)
    04-09-2014 12:22 PM
    quite simple really, if you dont upgrade, you wont be getting future updates from MSFT. and this does nothing to change the way you already interact with your PC. if you are comfortable doing what you used to do, this doesnt change anything for you... i dont get why people have issues with free updates that improves the user experience across all their consumer base and not just the vocal few.

TLDR; get the update, it wont degrade your experience
    Pretty simple. They claim that others can't adapt/accept change, and that somehow makes them feel smarter and more knowledgeable. All the while, they complain about the current changes and how dumb/stupid those changes are and usually with little reason as to why. Heaven forbid that an experience can be catered to different people and what suits their understanding or tastes, especially when those changes don't really affect their usage in any way.
    04-09-2014 12:48 PM
    When the update started to roll out yesterday, I tweeted (When I was thinking out loud) so what are the Microsoft haters gonna complain about now?
    04-09-2014 01:07 PM
    Make decisions for yourself. People here are very opinionated.
    04-09-2014 01:40 PM
    Pretty simple. They claim that others can't adapt/accept change, and that somehow makes them feel smarter and more knowledgeable. All the while, they complain about the current changes and how dumb/stupid those changes are and usually with little reason as to why. Heaven forbid that an experience can be catered to different people and what suits their understanding or tastes, especially when those changes don't really affect their usage in any way.
    U Mad?
    04-09-2014 03:05 PM
    Yes. Update 1 is great for mouse/keyboard users who do not like the modern interface (and for many who do like the modern interface, like me) and if you don't like what the upgrade brings in those regards it's really easy to ignore and everything will still work exactly as it did before Update 1. Beyond mouse/keyboard improvements, Update 1 does bring performance enhancements as well.
    04-09-2014 03:57 PM
    U Mad?
    I can assure you, it would take more than the likes of you to make me mad. And I'd hardly get mad over a computer OS. I'll leave that for you emotional types who post all over about the subject, but know very little about what they're saying.

You embarrassed? Or should I post again about how you can easily turn that taskbar off? I suppose that you could always reply again with nothing of substance. Hey, it's your keyboard, so whatever floats your gondola.
    Last edited by mgkeath; 04-09-2014 at 05:00 PM.
    04-09-2014 04:46 PM
    I can assure you, it would take more than the likes of you to make me mad. And I'd hardly get mad over a computer OS. I'll leave that for you emotional types who post all over about the subject, but know very little about what they're saying.

You embarrassed? Or should I post again about how you can easily turn that taskbar off? I suppose that you could always reply again with nothing of substance. Hey, it's your keyboard, so whatever floats your gondola.
    Please tell me how to turn off the taskbar. I really want to know. While you're at it tell me how to get rid of the stupid little X bar on the modern apps. It offends my eyes. And here's a picture of a bunny. Ain't it cute?

1626406040_small.jpg
    04-09-2014 05:18 PM