Win8.1 update 1 taskbar stupidity

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
What really annoys me is that if you enable the taskbar for modern apps, it then automatically takes you to the desktop if you close any modern app instead of the start menu; there should have been a separate check box for "exit to desktop".

I don't know why MS decided to tie in the taskbar modern app display, to app exit behavior.

constantinosmi

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Press right click on your taskbar, properties then uncheck "show windows store apps on taskbar". The bad thing is that these apps will not show up on your taskbar anymore when you have any open. And yeah, there should have been another option.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
there should have been a separate check box for "exit to desktop".

There is:
Right-click taskbar >
Properties >
Navigation >
Uncheck (similar wording - I'm writing this from memory) "Go to desktop instead of start when I sign in or close an app."

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
there should have been a separate check box for "exit to desktop".

There is:
Right-click taskbar >
Properties >
Navigation Tab >
Uncheck (similar wording - I'm writing this from memory) "Go to desktop instead of start when I sign in or close an app."

davidD93

May 28, 2013
Visit site
There is:
Right-click taskbar >
Properties >
Navigation Tab >

I think what the OP is trying to say is that even if you uncheck the box you are talking about, when you close an app, it still takes you to the desktop (it does however go to the start screen on bootup). Only, as constantinosmi suggests, by unchecking the 'show WS apps on the taskbar' box does it fully work - ie when closing apps, it goes back to the start screen, a la pre-w8.1 update.

herbertsnow

Banned
Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
What really annoys me is that if you enable the taskbar for modern apps, it then automatically takes you to the desktop if you close any modern app instead of the start menu; there should have been a separate check box for "exit to desktop".

I don't know why MS decided to tie in the taskbar modern app display, to app exit behavior.

It's just totally retarded. This update is for idiots. MS really blew it.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I think what the OP is trying to say is that even if you uncheck the box you are talking about, when you close an app, it still takes you to the desktop (it does however go to the start screen on bootup). Only, as constantinosmi suggests, by unchecking the 'show WS apps on the taskbar' box does it fully work - ie when closing apps, it goes back to the start screen, a la pre-w8.1 update.

This^^
and yes the only way to be able to go back to start when closing apps is by disabling the taskbar for modern apps, as stated above, but I don't want to disable that feature, I just want to exit apps and go to start instead of the desktop; in other words without the extra option for app exiting behavior, the current setup is just stupid.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
It's just totally retarded. This update is for idiots. MS really blew it.

I think that's going a bit too far, I do like the taskbar for modern apps, it's just that MS has not thought it through and it just seems half-baked without including aditionals options to control the behavior of the new setup.

The main problem is if you are on devices like the Surface Pro where you want the best of touch combined with the best of mouse/keyboard setup. In other words I want the taskbar that shows up when I mouse down in modern apps, but I want the exit behavior that exists for touch, i.e. go to start, not desktop.

Tiago Miguel

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
This seems like a review I read in some youtube v?deo...
The answer is already here:
Right click on task bar -> Properties -> Navigation Tab -> Start Screen division and UNCHECK the first option and this issue is GONE, you close your apps or work and you will end in the modern UI...I dont get why people decide to flame Microsoft and start to point out stupid update when an OS is finding is way to improve user experience and they are doing it right...if you have a touch screen the experience is the same, if you have mouse and keyboard your experience is improved and friendly of you, and they managed to do it both ways...
Come on people...

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Right click on task bar -> Properties -> Navigation Tab -> Start Screen division and UNCHECK the first option and this issue is GONE, you close your apps or work and you will end in the modern UI...I dont get why people decide to flame Microsoft and start to point out stupid update when an OS is finding is way to improve user experience and they are doing it right...if you have a touch screen the experience is the same, if you have mouse and keyboard your experience is improved and friendly of you, and they managed to do it both ways...
Come on people...

Lawl I posted the same thing an hour earlier.

There is:
Right-click taskbar >
Properties >
Navigation Tab >

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
and yes the only way to be able to go back to start when closing apps is by disabling the taskbar for modern apps,

That's strange. When I uncheck that box I go straight to the start screen after closing an app but I'm still able to pin apps to the taskbar.

Oh well, at least this will all get fixed with threshold.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
and yes the only way to be able to go back to start when closing apps is by disabling the taskbar for modern apps,

That's strange. When I uncheck that box I go straight to the start screen after closing an app but I'm still able to pin apps to the taskbar.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Come on people...

You don't seem to get what the issue is here.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site

The issue is not with pinning apps, read posts above.

herbertsnow

Banned
Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
It all depends on how you use your PC; if you are not a serious multi-tasker with ton of windows opened, then I can see how you could survive even with the taskbar completely gone.

Multi tasking has nothing to do with it. I always have multiple apps open all the time and never once need the taskbar. When I need to start a new app I go back to the start screen and start my apps from there.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Multi tasking has nothing to do with it. I always have multiple apps open all the time and never once need the taskbar. When I need to start a new app I go back to the start screen and start my apps from there.

Running a few apps is not really multi-tasking, not to mention that outside the desktop you can run only a handful apps side by side; I am talking about users that have 15+ documents opened across multiple applications and need to easily navigate back and forth between them; last time I was researching and working on a publication, I had about 12 pdf files, 3 word documents, 3 file explorers and countless tabs across both firefox and IE opened at the same time; that's the type of multi-tasking I am talking about; not playing a game while chatting on Skype or answering an email.

Tiago Miguel

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
@sd173 yes you did thats why i said "The answer is already here", because you had already said it =D

I'm sorry about my miss understanding =/
The problem is that you need to disable the Windows store app at the task bar to get that option to work (exiting to Modern UI after closing an app) and if you do that, modern apps stop showing at the bottom task bar. This is an issue that they will probably correct since disabling Windows store app at the task bar shouldn't work like "i don't want modern apps to show in the task bar" and the other option regarding our preference about desktop or start screen after closing an app shouldn't depend on if we use modern apps at bottom task bar preference.
I think they didn't want this to work like that. We will see.

When i use desktop apps i work with the bottom task bar and if i work with the modern UI and modern apps i work with the left side hidden task bar so its not really a big thing for me disabling modern apps in the bottom task bar option and get the Modern UI everytime i close an app.

The others mouse and keyboard functions i really liked and made some things easier to manage.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6