Win8.1 update 1 - IE start menu shortcuts

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
After finally updating my Surface from Windows 8 to 8.1up1, I have noticed that MS has decided to only allow one IE shortcut in the start menu despite the fact that there is the Desktop IE and Modern IE [two separate programs].
In Win8 I had a shortcut for each, but now you only have an option in IE settings that enables you to either set the shortcut for Desktop IE or Modern IE. This creates a problem on devices like the Surface Pro where you spend just as much time with keyboard and mouse as you do with touch, and now I can only have one shortcut on the start menu, which is a bit annoying. Sure you could just go to desktop and then launch IE there and keep the start menu shortcut for the Modern version, but why, when previously you could just launch any IE version from the start screen. /end of rant ;)

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I never noticed this on windows 8 (when I got windows 8 , I installed windows 8.1 on the same day so I didn't noticed this )
Btw as you said I am used to this now , If I want to open desktop internet explorer , I go to desktop and click on ie from taskbar and for modern UI I use start menu.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Btw as you said I am used to this now , If I want to open desktop internet explorer , I go to desktop and click on ie from taskbar and for modern UI I use start menu.

Yeah, that's what I have to do now, not a huge deal, but it adds one click to opening the desktop IE [I know that seems stupid, but its these little things that make a huge difference to the overall user experience; the less annoyances the better] plus from a practical stand point, you should be able to pin whatever you like to the start menu and not be limited by MS.

I just find it strange that you can't have access to both IE versions from the start menu.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I never noticed this on windows 8 (when I got windows 8 , I installed windows 8.1 on the same day so I didn't noticed this )
Likewise, I didn't remember this feature, since I've been using Windows 8.1 since its release date. I completely forgot about how original Windows 8 worked.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Likewise, I didn't remember this feature, since I've been using Windows 8.1 since its release date. I completely forgot about how original Windows 8 worked.

ditto , I am so pleased with windows 8.1 that now I have ordered Acer iconia w4 to experience windows 8.1 with a touchscreen :smile:

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
previously you could just launch any IE version from the start screen

Hmm. I don't recall that being the case; in fact, I recall being a bit frustrated that I could NOT have both Modern IE and Desktop IE pinned to the Start Screen. If you managed to get that working... good on 'ya. I couldn't. :)

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. I don't recall that being the case; in fact, I recall being a bit frustrated that I could NOT have both Modern IE and Desktop IE pinned to the Start Screen. If you managed to get that working... good on 'ya. I couldn't. :)

If I remember correctly you could do it by putting the shortcut on the desktop and then pinning to start, then you has 2 IE tiles, one with desktop IE icon pic, one with the modern app pic. Also this is in Windows 8, not sure about Windows 8.1; as I went straight from 8 to 8.1up1.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If I remember correctly you could do it by putting the shortcut on the desktop and then pinning to start, then you has 2 IE tiles, one with desktop IE icon pic, one with the modern app pic. Also this is in Windows 8, not sure about Windows 8.1; as I went straight from 8 to 8.1up1.

Yeah, I tried that. It didn't work for me. On 8 or 8.1. So again.. . good on 'ya. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb