Absolutely hate Update 1 to Windows8.1 on a desktop

paulsalter

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
As I've said before. If you work at MS, if you're a product made by MS, or even just MS itself....there is no way to win.

Hate towards MS has become a trend that's just too fashionable to let go. :p

This is very true and I see this in many forums I read

I do not hate MS, I have just moved back to Windows because of Win 8 and am now almost fully in the MS eco system

Can you give your thoughts on one aspect of the update that has been mentioned a few times relating to the new way of the Taskbar

If I am using Desktop mode, have my most used apps pinned to the Taskbar, I can launch them easily now, hitting the new 'X' to close returns back to desktop, this is a great improvement for desktop users
If I am running an app from the Start Screen, I see the new taskbar appear showing all running apps, this is an improvement, however if I close an app with the new 'X' it returns to the desktop, surely if I launch an app from the Start Screen, when I close it this is where it should return me back to

There might be something I am missing in it, but if I am using mainly the store apps from the start screen, I do not want to see the desktop (I know the new features can be turned off to get around this)

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
This is very true and I see this in many forums I read

I do not hate MS, I have just moved back to Windows because of Win 8 and am now almost fully in the MS eco system

Can you give your thoughts on one aspect of the update that has been mentioned a few times relating to the new way of the Taskbar

If I am using Desktop mode, have my most used apps pinned to the Taskbar, I can launch them easily now, hitting the new 'X' to close returns back to desktop, this is a great improvement for desktop users
If I am running an app from the Start Screen, I see the new taskbar appear showing all running apps, this is an improvement, however if I close an app with the new 'X' it returns to the desktop, surely if I launch an app from the Start Screen, when I close it this is where it should return me back to

There might be something I am missing in it, but if I am using mainly the store apps from the start screen, I do not want to see the desktop (I know the new features can be turned off to get around this)

Yes, I agree with you. If I launch modern apps from the start screen, when I close them I wanna go back to the start screen. Besides changing the settings, the other way around it would be to not close the apps but just go right back to the start screen. I keep that app switching charm filled with apps all the time.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Yes, I agree with you. If I launch modern apps from the start screen, when I close them I wanna go back to the start screen. Besides changing the settings, the other way around it would be to not close the apps but just go right back to the start screen. I keep that app switching charm filled with apps all the time.

Shhhh, don't post such "hate" lest we hurt Microsoft's feelings because wanting options is bad...../s

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Indeed. I have Windows 7 at work, and it feels so outdated compared to 8.1! When I want to open a new program, I have to either minimize all of my open programs to get to the desktop or search through the Start menu, as opposed to just hitting the Windows key, easily finding my app (which is pinned exactly where I want it so I know where to go), and then continuing on my way. Truthfully the Windows 8.1 workflow only saves about 10 seconds, but that's enough time to break my momentum when I'm "in the zone." The Win8.1 experience is so seamless!

On both Windows 7 and Windows 8 just go to the start button (win 7) and start screen (win 8) start typing the app you want to open. Much faster.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

paulsalter

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site

Thanks, going to give that a try, I don't always close apps so will see how it works just always leaving them running

Hopefully next update will allow people more choice on how Modern/Desktop work

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
As I've said before. If you work at MS, if you're a product made by MS, or even just MS itself....there is no way to win.

Hate towards MS has become a trend that's just too fashionable to let go. :p

Yeah. Apple and Google are seen as cool. Microsoft is seen as this old monolithic company that needs to die and all its employees need to be subject to all manner of torture. Basically MS is the target of all hate. Wouldn't surprise me if next our government starts blaming freak weather on Microsoft (we've already had one group turn around and say gay marriage is to blame for the UK having such bad weather this year)

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, going to give that a try, I don't always close apps so will see how it works just always leaving them running

Hopefully next update will allow people more choice on how Modern/Desktop work
It works. They're using some memory while they're suspended like that. Another thing I do is that when I shutdown I do it from whatever app I'm in. I bring the charm and shutdown. Never bother to go back to the start screen, so that new power button is meaningless to me.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. Apple and Google are seen as cool. Microsoft is seen as this old monolithic company that needs to die and all its employees need to be subject to all manner of torture. Basically MS is the target of all hate. Wouldn't surprise me if next our government starts blaming freak weather on Microsoft (we've already had one group turn around and say gay marriage is to blame for the UK having such bad weather this year)

Just look at areas where I post and the people who obviously try to push my buttons...which then leads to them getting away with it and me being banned repeatedly...because I won't take their bull**** sitting down.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
What would be cool is if we could enable swiping on the desktop IE. I usually use metro IE, but when I do need it in desktop, I always catch myself trying to swipe or hit the back button on the left that's not there.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I said it before and I'll say it again. Most folks who like to hate on Microsoft have no idea that without Bill Gates and Microsoft "Investing" in Apple in the mid 90's, Apple would've gone under!

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Indeed. I have Windows 7 at work, and it feels so outdated compared to 8.1! When I want to open a new program, I have to either minimize all of my open programs to get to the desktop or search through the Start menu, as opposed to just hitting the Windows key, easily finding my app (which is pinned exactly where I want it so I know where to go), and then continuing on my way. Truthfully the Windows 8.1 workflow only saves about 10 seconds, but that's enough time to break my momentum when I'm "in the zone." The Win8.1 experience is so seamless!

If you want to minimize all the items on your desktop you can click the space in the bottom right of the screen (next to the time and date). If you have regularly used documents, folders or programs you can pin them to the taskbar and use the jump lists.

yarvelling

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
These criticisms seem a bit odd... since Windows 8 came out people complained about booting to the start page, about not being able to run apps on the desktop, and that it was clumsy having to drag-sown on the app to close it.
Now when Microsoft addresses these issues and give us what many had asked for (I was always quite happy with the way it was working), those same people are now complaining about getting what they wanted!!! I LIKE these new additions - they add flexibility and more ease of use.... :)

ChristianKing

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I disabled all of the updates that I could, because I preferred the way 8.1 worked. I have a surface and an ultra book with a touch screen. But im happy that these options are there for people that love to work with their mouse and keyboard. I'm not a fan of the bar above the modern apps but hitting an X to close an app is probably more efficient than dragging down with a mouse. So while I still drag, I can't say It doesn't make sense. I think these changes are a bit of a step back and I can't say that im happy at all about that start button coming back, but you have to cater to your users. I think MS got it right with 8.1 but people are just not open to change. Unfortunately their money takes precedence to progress so MS has to listen. Hopefully as tablets become the standard PC, these attitudes and behaviors will change and they will embrace a gesture based computing world. Until then I'll bite my tongue about my desktop loving brethren and grin and bear it. 😊

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
On my surface pro update one acted the same as 8.1 the only thing different I see is a power button next to my user name on the start screen. Everything else acts the same way. I press start it goes to the start screen. Not desktop. I didn't change and I actually prefer it this way.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
On my surface pro update one acted the same as 8.1 the only thing different I see is a power button next to my user name on the start screen. Everything else acts the same way. I press start it goes to the start screen. Not desktop. I didn't change and I actually prefer it this way.

Yes, but you're either pressing start on your keyboard, start screen button or swiping and pressing start. Some people were referring to the issue of closing the modern apps by clicking on the new X on top right corner and then being taken to the desktop from there.

herbertsnow

Banned
Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I just spent the last hour undoing the changes this POS update did. Still looking for a way to get rid of that retard title bar and that stupid shut down button.

herbertsnow

Banned
Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes, but you're either pressing start on your keyboard, start screen button or swiping and pressing start. Some people were referring to the issue of closing the modern apps by clicking on the new X on top right corner and then being taken to the desktop from there.

The thing is that you never need to close the apps in the first place.

Last edited:

herbertsnow

Banned
Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
These criticisms seem a bit odd... since Windows 8 came out people complained about booting to the start page, about not being able to run apps on the desktop, and that it was clumsy having to drag-sown on the app to close it.
Now when Microsoft addresses these issues and give us what many had asked for (I was always quite happy with the way it was working), those same people are now complaining about getting what they wanted!!! I LIKE these new additions - they add flexibility and more ease of use.... :)

MS should have giving us a choice when the update installed. I don't appreciate having undo all the changes it made. I'm happy with the start screen, I never wanted to go back to the desktop. It even changed my file associations for no reason. Next they will bring back that useless start menu. They better not force me to use that mess.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven