Absolutely hate Update 1 to Windows8.1 on a desktop

ChefFabrizio

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
If I didn't add this update, I'd get no further updates, so I jumped at it, after having no issues on my Tablet.

But my dual monitor desktop setup took a big beating. No longer does it recognize my blu ray disc. Even if I put music cd in it. To rip music. And I have to RIP cd's as xbox Music is randomly deleting my music on my Windows Home Server. Telling me I Don't have music, that Zune or Windows Media Player says I do have on network.

But the WORST feature to me is closing a "modern" app only to get shown back to the desktop. Really? I hate the Desktop. I want to USE the start screen. As my START screen. If I close a modern app, it's because I'm done with it, not because I want my desktop. I have two monitors, one in the Modern World, and one in the stone ages, of the Desktop. So, I can only use Windows Media Center (yes, I love my cablecard tv tuner) and it only works on a desktop. Yet all the other stuff I want in the Modern World. And I'm already tired of having it go back to the desktop. Even after I fixed it booting to the desktop, and unchecking that default (Aren't options about giving us OPTIONS instead of thinking for ME), but now everytime I close the ONLY modern app open, I get the desktop. So, I have to leave some modern app, running which I don't need, only to get the start screen.

THIS IS NOT PROGRESS.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: "But the WORST feature to me is closing a "modern" app only to get shown back to the desktop. Really? I hate the Desktop. I want to USE the start screen. As my START screen. If I close a modern app, it's because I'm done with it, not because I want my desktop.......but now everytime I close the ONLY modern app open, I get the desktop. "

It was driving me crazy too. But I have a solution for you..... (as I posted on another thread here)

In Desktop....right click/long tap on taskbar....select' Properties'....in the 'Taskbar Tab', uncheck, 'Show Windows Store apps on the taskbar'. That's it. Now when you close a Start screen app it will return you to the Start screen....not the Desktop. You do lose the new Update 1 functionality of being able to 'show' apps on the taskbar in the desktop mode....but you can still pin them there if you desire.

Hope this helps

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Well....I'm thinking maybe too many people were talking 'to' the hand for Microsoft's tastes...lol. But anyway, currently the metro app title bars DO auto-hide after a couple of seconds after the cursor moves away, so it's a small bother. AND you can still swipe with the cursor to close the app to the bottom of the screen as done previously....the hand is just not there to 'talk' to now :) All in all I think W8.1.1 is a MUCH better overall interface for touchless screen folks relying strictly on the keyboard and mouse. So I'm rolling with the punches here b/c the future is here and it's not going to slow down. Pretty soon it'll all be on your glasses...or your wrist..or your contact lens...or ???

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
To be honest, though. You're the minority on this. I'm a big fan of Windows 8.x, but even I thought focusing on the start screen (for now) was a mistake.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I keep my desktop free of icons and only have File Explorer pinned to the taskbar. I have start set to show all applications. Works great.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
The start screen is much better than having a jumble of tiny icons on the desktop.

Indeed. I have Windows 7 at work, and it feels so outdated compared to 8.1! When I want to open a new program, I have to either minimize all of my open programs to get to the desktop or search through the Start menu, as opposed to just hitting the Windows key, easily finding my app (which is pinned exactly where I want it so I know where to go), and then continuing on my way. Truthfully the Windows 8.1 workflow only saves about 10 seconds, but that's enough time to break my momentum when I'm "in the zone." The Win8.1 experience is so seamless!

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
It took me forever to find this setting. Thanks.

Now have you got a way to bring back the hand and LOSE the titlebars on apps?

No need. You can still grab and drag as before if you want. I alternate depending on where my mouse is currently sitting. Also having the split features being quickly accessible via that titlebar is nice. :)

ChefFabrizio

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
To me the Titlebar is useless and ruins a clean interface. Having a tablet that is swipe oriented and having the big red X back, is going backwards.

I have a two monitor set up, one always in Metro and the other always in desktop. Really only for Windows Media Center. Otherwise, I'd do away for desktop, except for work or excel.

I now have to force myself to avoid the red X as it doesn't show up on my tablet. And yes, I find myself swiping top to bottom on my WP8 935. And forget sometimes it does nothing there.

ChefFabrizio

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm not confident in the registry, but if you find a way, please pass it along. I really don't like the Titlebars. Yes, I know they go away. But to me, they are glaring when visible

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
To me the Titlebar is useless and ruins a clean interface. Having a tablet that is swipe oriented and having the big red X back, is going backwards.

I have a two monitor set up, one always in Metro and the other always in desktop. Really only for Windows Media Center. Otherwise, I'd do away for desktop, except for work or excel.

I now have to force myself to avoid the red X as it doesn't show up on my tablet. And yes, I find myself swiping top to bottom on my WP8 935. And forget sometimes it does nothing there.

The titlebar doesn't show up on tablets, at least not tablets that are being used as a tablet. It only shows up when they are docked and being used with a mouse and keyboard. Also it's a white x on a black title bar. There is a red hitbox that appears when you hover over it with a mouse and keyboard.

So I'm confused by this particular criticism.

Reading over all the posts here though it seems like for some reason you have a really bad string of issues that don't really seem purely OS related.

Last edited:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Not a fan either, and on a 2 in 1 like the dell venue 11 pro the inconsistencies and ugly desktop overlays made me disable all the "improvements" I could except for that stupid titlebar. Microsoft needs to learn to give people true options, not being forced down certain usage scenarios because you want to enable a single feature.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
As I've said before. If you work at MS, if you're a product made by MS, or even just MS itself....there is no way to win.

Hate towards MS has become a trend that's just too fashionable to let go. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fopaky