How does Windows 8 handle scaling?

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I was looking at the newest notebooks, gaming ones, and I'm seeing a lot of higher than high definition. One of the stand out ones, that I planned on saving up to buy for myself, was the Razer Blade.

3200x1800.

14" screen.

At first glance, that seems like too much resolution for such a small screen. Or does it handle it well?

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
it all depends on the GPU the machine has , if the GPU is capable of handling this resolution then there is no problem ,I have an iPad 3 , with an A5X but the GPU on this tablet was not at all capable of handling 2K resolution (apple made a mistake lol) so they quickly launched iPad 4 with much better GPU . Same goes for pc and laptop.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It should handle it OK, you can actually tweak scaling to your tastes.

However some programs dont work well with scaling like PhotoShop.

All else fails, you could always go into display settings and bump the resolution down as you please.

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Ah, how I love these enthusiastic poseurs who reply with little knowledge of the issues :)

Anyway. To answer your question, I recently got the exact same Razer Blade with a 3200x1800 screen. Font scaling is perfect in most apps, this will depend on your Cleartype settings but some playing with the Fonts applet in Control Panel will fix anything. When you look at the start screen with tiles, somewhat less so. Desktop scaling and scaling in desktop apps is not an issue. I use it just for gaming anyway, in Steam Big Picture mode, so I don't care about the tiles.

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
it all depends on the GPU the machine has , if the GPU is capable of handling this resolution then there is no problem ,I have an iPad 3 , with an A5X but the GPU on this tablet was not at all capable of handling 2K resolution (apple made a mistake lol) so they quickly launched iPad 4 with much better GPU . Same goes for pc and laptop.

If you read the post again, OP is referring to a Razer Blade. This machine is like the Ferrari of gaming laptops and the GTX 870M in it will utterly destroy any resolution that display panels can produce today.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Ah, how I love these enthusiastic poseurs who reply with little knowledge of the issues :)

Anyway. To answer your question, I recently got the exact same Razer Blade with a 3200x1800 screen. Font scaling is perfect in most apps, this will depend on your Cleartype settings but some playing with the Fonts applet in Control Panel will fix anything. When you look at the start screen with tiles, somewhat less so. Desktop scaling and scaling in desktop apps is not an issue. I use it just for gaming anyway, in Steam Big Picture mode, so I don't care about the tiles.

Thank you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos