05-21-2014 09:43 PM
190 ... 678
tools
    Sorry, should have read it Better and not jumped right in.
    It's all good. Been there, done that!
    05-21-2014 06:50 AM
    Just pointing out the end of your post is generalizing a bit. What you find useful or life improving on Windows 8 might not be to others. I like Windows 8. But on the most basic level of computer use, I'm not sure what it offers to the average person using Windows 7 (which I use at work) that makes it better.
    It offers NOTHING. It's not supposed to. It is suppose to make us want to ditch our well functioning and widely supported iPhones, iPads, and Droids and run out and buy useless Microsoft phones and surface tablets. That's the whole point of the OS.
    05-21-2014 09:36 AM
    That's a very good question. I suspect they were pointing at the portable device market first and foremost while trying to keep an eye to the business area. That's why you had Metro/Modern + the old desktop beneath it and everything was duplicated in Win 8. They have been very very daring indeed. However they screwed with 8. People like me got adapted quick with some small software to just add up the old start button etc. Many users are in their late 40s, 50s and aren't eager to do tricks to get the thing to work. The OS must be familiar and work out of the box. That's why everyone told MSFT to make Win 8 bootable in desktop mode. Something they did now with 8.1 and more will come to make 8.1 more similar to 7. Modern UI, not the tiles is to be blamed. They built it as a cage, like Android. So you have a paradoxical situation where the Desktop OS went from real multiwindow/classic desktop to birdcage 2 window/modern UI and then the WP environment, where those 2 windows would be good VS Android can just handle one single one. All in all, in this specific area they have managed to reach the incredible result of keeping everyone unhappy or partially happy
    Because they are hoping that by forcibly building your muscle memory with a desktop that works just like a Windows phone you will come to love the Windows phone, and throw away your Droid or iPhone for it. It's a moronic gamble that obviously has not paid given the extremely low adoption rates and extreme negativity from customers.
    05-21-2014 09:39 AM
    1. Security
    2. Updated live tiles
    3. Easy app update process
    4. A metro app that crashes won't cause your whole computer to freeze
    5. I can easily download to all my computers that use W8. I can even log in to someone else's computer using my account.
    All of these are either capabilities in Win 7 or things that people don't care about. I administer PCs and other than the initial setup, do not log onto other people's computers. Thus a USELESS feature.
    05-21-2014 09:41 AM
    I understand people have different preferences. I also understand people have different levels of sophistication and nuance. What I don't understand is how people can "hate" Windows 8 (the original title of the thread) when essentially it gives you the option to use it like Windows 7 or use it more like your Windows tablet or Windows Phone, all the while having a much smoother and quicker start-up with better security.

I would never expect everyone to voluntarily upgrade to Windows 8, but I still haven't read any compelling arguments about why Windows 8 is objectively worse than older versions of Windows. As a result, I chalk up most of the "hate" to laziness, fanboyism, stereotyping and groupthink.
    Sure, once you spend time to make it behave just like Win 7, it is fine. However Microsoft defaults it to all the useless Win 8 functionalities -- Metro, no right-click context menues, useless fullscreen apps, etc... They attempt to use it a way to force to you to setup a Windows account (until you learn the trick to make a local account). It's not laziness. It's offensive that Microsoft would temporarily impair the productivity of businesses to force an OS on them whose sole purpose is to get the users used to operating a Windows phone or Surface tablet. It's a stunt that has people up in arms.
    05-21-2014 09:48 AM
    Actually 8 was good, 8.1 just made it even better. And actually the majority doesn't hate windows 8. they just have the impression that 8 isn't good because they hear the minority yelling and screaming that 8 isn't good. That's why i'm vocal about it, because it actually is good. I've personally known people who claimed 8 was horrible. When asked why, they have no answers. So I show them how it works, and they like it.
    The majorities certainly do not like win 8. It's adoption rate is severely lagging. It has been blamed for tanking new computer sales as people don't want to be stuck with a new computer that they then have to learn a completely new way of using it, breaking core functionality they have grown accustomed to over the past 20 years. If you go online there are many anecdotes of people who buy a new PC that has Win 8, hate it so much they return the PC and have their old one "fixed" so they can at least have Win 7 back for some time. Other anecdotes are people switching to Mac OS. My parents just did this. Been Win users since the 90's, hated Win 8 and got Mac books instead. They are now apple people. Win 8 is nothing short of a disaster.
    05-21-2014 09:53 AM
    Sure, once you spend time to make it behave just like Win 7, it is fine. However Microsoft defaults it to all the useless Win 8 functionalities -- Metro, no right-click context menues, useless fullscreen apps, etc... They attempt to use it a way to force to you to setup a Windows account (until you learn the trick to make a local account). It's not laziness. It's offensive that Microsoft would temporarily impair the productivity of businesses to force an OS on them whose sole purpose is to get the users used to operating a Windows phone or Surface tablet. It's a stunt that has people up in arms.
    Why on earth would Microsoft encourage two completely different UI experiences? At some point the experience had to merge. Why not now with the boom in mobile computing? I don't see any stunt--I see common sense. It is a given that some people won't like change, but how do you justify a fragmented experience among Windows hardware just to satisfy people who are resistant to change. Windows 8.1 has a transition experience that includes desktop and Metro interfaces. What exactly do you think the solution is? Rolling out 7.1 instead? Changing the Metro UI on tablets and smartphones to a Windows 7-type experience? I understand your criticisms, but solving them by staying with the past leads to no rational solution from a global perspective.
    Last edited by BobLobIaw; 05-21-2014 at 10:24 AM.
    05-21-2014 10:12 AM
    This Steve Itman guy has 20 posts under his belt, all here on the "Why do people hate Windows 8.?" thread, all bashing on Windows 8. I smell something fishy.
    link68759 likes this.
    05-21-2014 11:53 AM
    Other anecdotes are people switching to Mac OS. My parents just did this. Been Win users since the 90's, hated Win 8 and got Mac books instead. They are now apple people. Win 8 is nothing short of a disaster.
    If it is that much of a disaster and people are switching over to OS X, why does OS X have a smaller market share than Win 8.1 (Even Win 8.0 which was hated more has a higher market share than OS X)
    05-21-2014 12:56 PM
    This Steve Itman guy has 20 posts under his belt, all here on the "Why do people hate Windows 8.?" thread, all bashing on Windows 8. I smell something fishy.
    I'm not going to comment on what you may or may not smell. But the fact is, windows 8 is awesome. I love it on my Surface Pro 2 and I love it on my PC. Back when I had a Surface RT, I even liked Windows RT. It's actually good. People can't even say what they hate about it. I don't' want to hear that it's different, or made for touch, those are not real reasons. If you can't handle change then maybe you shouldn't be using technology, because technology changes all the time. The change is constant and fast, there isn't a luxury in this world to be stuck in the past. Even Windows 7, as nice as it was, is just too old and limiting. Sure, Windows 8 is fresh and new, but that doesn't mean you have to be afraid of it. The future is here, embrace it.
    05-21-2014 02:17 PM
    I'm not going to comment on what you may or may not smell. But the fact is, windows 8 is awesome. I love it on my Surface Pro 2 and I love it on my PC. Back when I had a Surface RT, I even liked Windows RT. It's actually good. People can't even say what they hate about it. I don't' want to hear that it's different, or made for touch, those are not real reasons. If you can't handle change then maybe you shouldn't be using technology, because technology changes all the time. The change is constant and fast, there isn't a luxury in this world to be stuck in the past. Even Windows 7, as nice as it was, is just too old and limiting. Sure, Windows 8 is fresh and new, but that doesn't mean you have to be afraid of it. The future is here, embrace it.
    The great thing in life is, that there's not a reason for everything. Why do I like my vegetables while other people hate them? Why do I love running in the rain when other people would not even step outside? Why do I dislike some people while other people have a relationship with them?

Even if I didn't give you all these reasons why I dislike Windows 8.0, I would still have every right to dislike it.

But you showed before that you really have troubles with different opinions and can't accept that somebody likes something else than you do. Your taste is declared standard in your little world, everything else is just bad. I guess it would make me as an ignorant person as you are if I couldn't accept that though.

Regardless, Windows 7 being more limited than Windows RT is one of the greatest jokes I've heard in a long time.
    05-21-2014 03:47 PM
    The great thing in life is, that there's not a reason for everything. Why do I like my vegetables while other people hate them? Why do I love running in the rain when other people would not even step outside? Why do I dislike some people while other people have a relationship with them?

Even if I didn't give you all these reasons why I dislike Windows 8.0, I would still have every right to dislike it.

But you showed before that you really have troubles with different opinions and can't really accept that somebody likes something else than you do. Your taste is declared standard in your world, everything else is just bad. I guess it would make me as an ignorant person as you are if I couldn't accept that though.

Nonetheless, Windows 7 being more limited than Windows RT is one of the greatest jokes I've heard in a long time.
    Please do not compare technology to vegetables. It's hazardous to your health. And please go back and read my post again. Sure I mentioned windows RT but I was comparing windows 8 to 7, NOT RT. So stop trying to make jokes where there are none. On a side note though, winRT does have thousands of apps that 7 cannot access.
    05-21-2014 03:52 PM
    Please do not compare technology to vegetables. It's hazardous to your health. And please go back and read my post again. Sure I mentioned windows RT but I was comparing windows 8 to 7, NOT RT. So stop trying to make jokes where there are none. On a side note though, winRT does have thousands of apps that 7 cannot access.
    You said Win 7 is limited and Win RT is good.

I don't even want to try to compare the software Win 7 can run and Win RT can not. Arguing with touch functionality, that's what I had done, but you chose the stupidest argument.
    05-21-2014 03:55 PM
    You said Win 7 is limited and Win RT is good.
    But I wasn't comparing them. RT is good but it's not even the same type of OS as 7 or 8. It's made for lightweight mobile devices. Stop trying to put words in my mouth.
    BobLobIaw and link68759 like this.
    05-21-2014 04:05 PM
    It looks like this thread has now concluded its course.
    05-21-2014 09:43 PM
190 ... 678