Why do people hate Windows 8.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

desitunez

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Windows branding in general is not doing well amongst users.

Windows is something users relate to WORKSPACE * work.. something they don't like.

Secondly Windows 8 when it was released there was no auto-kms available for pirates , most vocal community i bet they don't pay for licences or own any windows .. they hated Windows 8 cause they couldnt get cracked copies , which was not the case for windows 7

Windows RT >> Key selling point was free office .. that didn't work for MS.

Windows 8 >> key selling point is right now snap / 2 open apps ( lot of users thing that is unique selling point ) however that will be killed soon and i dont think its contributing to any sales. Apple is rumoured to bring 2 open apps in IOS8 .

WP8.1 >> fastest keyboard >> well it didnt take long for that record to be broken.

I think Microsoft need to improve the brand image and get users like us to be their promoters of product.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It does not right-click anymore.

You are... sorely mistaken. That one of the most incorrect statements I've ever read.

(open useless fullscreen PDF viewer and right click, tell me what happens)

Nothing, until I open a PDF document in the viewer. Once I have a PDF open, right-clicking drops down a bar at the top containing thumbnails of all the open PDFs in the viewer and raises a bar at the bottom containing the Find, Two Pages, One Page, Continuous, Save As, Print, and More buttons. Clicking the More button gives me the Rotate and Info options.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
...you know that you can download and use the regular Skype desktop app, yes?

"That said, i hate those fixed windows, i hate the tiles in the metro interface i hate basically everything about that side. I have a touch laptop too and still use the classic one"

You know i mentioned i use the classic interface, do you? Or you missed that part? So that means i have all desktop apps on the standard interface. It includes Skype, Chrome (Which again in Win 8 mode takes all the estate stopping other software i use to translate and preventing me from resizing dictionaries, glossaries, translating software with multiple windows in them etc.). I suspect you may have missed the part where i was explaining i hate the Metro/Modern versions of those apps because A) they take an absurd amount of estate on big screen (imagine those on a 27" screen refusing to resize at your will and you needing multiple windows on your screen, which you bought exactly for that purpose) and B) are simply not practical beyond a tablet. That is where i came from. Each time i try that interface i stop using it after 10 seconds. How can someone call non resizable windows taking so much space and refusing to be placed where you want on a display "good for working use", as someone claimed is beyond me. The OS is nice, fast, stable, and well designed and i have been discussing this with the Linux maniacs in other forums to curb their superiority complexes, however that MSFT did with W8 UI is a disaster for people working in multiwindow mode. That, i think, doesn't take a huge amount of IQ to understand. It's an UI designed for small devices and people who don't really do much multitasking, maybe.
PS: if someone needs 4 or 5 screens to work good on W8 then it's a bad sign.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
"That said, i hate those fixed windows, i hate the tiles in the metro interface i hate basically everything about that side.

Hammer.png

That is what your position sounds like to me.

Even with a touch enabled laptop, if you are using primarily the mouse and keyboard, the metro side of the Windows hammer isn't necessarily for you. Luckily enough, if you don't like metro on the desktop, you have a million other non-metro options. Metro is awesome on tablets and smartphones however. Is it that hard to acknowledge that a UI can be good in one use-case but bad in another, and that it would make sense to use the right side of the tool for what you are trying to do? Damn those hammers...

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
This is one of the most useless posts I've ever seen.

Just pointing out the end of your post is generalizing a bit. What you find useful or life improving on Windows 8 might not be to others. I like Windows 8. But on the most basic level of computer use, I'm not sure what it offers to the average person using Windows 7 (which I use at work) that makes it better.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Gonna stop you there.

Actually, the changes to the kernel and under the hood improvements are very, very significant. 8 is not just a new skin, which is why it's stupid that people still cling to 7. If you absolutely cannot adapt to the start screen, go buy the stardock win8 start menu.

They might be significant to you, they might be significant to a lot of people. They don't seem to be significant to me. And even if they were, Windows 8 could have all these improvements without Metro.

I expect the software to be better in a new release and not just offer some new way of using it.

Also, all my personal computers run Windows 8, only at work I still have Windows 7. It's nothing to do with stubbornness. And I'm no native English speaker, but I thought that the expression "moron" is very impolite nowadays.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
@a5cent

I won't specifically answer your post. As always I love what you write and I of course I agree. At the end it comes to taste, as the new start menu offers no real advantage and no real disadvantage (in Windows 8.1, in Windows 8 it was just terrible to use in my opinion).

I prefer the old and soon to be new start menu. I think however there should be a choice to keep the new one. And how knows, it might evolve to something I find really great.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
It's a fad to hate it. That's really it.

I work as both a company-promoted tech and a field tech, and hear people saying the same things all the time. A lot of them are blaming Windows 8 for problems w7 has.

The grand majority of the time, I tell them how to access the desktop and they act like I just walked on water.

What I love more than anything is when someone just genuinely asks why it's hated because then I demonstrate easy usage live and they're left wondering what level of stupid Windows 8 haters would have to be to think it's not better than 7 in every way.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
What are you even talking about?

The regular control panel has everything. There's a ModernUI version of the control panel that controls some of the more common control panel elements (winupdate) and also houses the ModernUI specific settings.
Yes, the classic control panel has what it always had. But the Modern UI (MUI) settings, via the Charms bar menu does not. A person using the MUI to adjust settings would find that not everything can be done via the MUI version of settings. That's what I'm talking about.

The mouse doesn't suddenly behave differently anywhere. You point and click. What's unintuitive here?
Using the scroll wheel on the mouse on the desktop scrolls in reverse to how it behaves in MUI apps. That's what I'm talking about.

I use ModernUI apps (Netflix, youtube) on my 42" TV, with a mouse and keyboard. Better than desktop windows, precisely because of the larger interface elements keep things visible from an appropriate TV viewing distance.
That is fine if you are using your Windows 8 machine as an HTPC. But as a regular work machine, that is useful. As a software developer I'm not using a 42" TV to watch Netflix, but I do use a 26" monitor for debugging and trace logs. MUI editors don't "scale up" to use the larger screen effectively.

I use modernUI on my 26" monitor I sit right in front of. The size of the UI elements don't somehow offend me- you didn't really elaborate on that irrational remark.
I didn't say it offended me, but go ahead and put words in my mouth anyways. It is not irrational to need a UI to handle higher resolutions. The problem with MUI is that it magnifies what is on the screen as the screen increases in resolution... Windows before Win8 would support more content.

The whole "it's not cohesive" ... "argument" doesn't really hold any water. The apps are part of an entirely new ecosystem- you should be able to instantly and easily identify that you are not in the traditional desktop. Apps behave differently, intentionally, and it's intelligently designed to be different partially so you're not confused as to what you're using and what to expect. There are good reasons for this, but instead of wasting my time spelling it out, I could easily just point out that you never need to use ModernUI, or even the explorer shell for that matter.
If you fail to see that MUI is a different paradigm than the traditional Windows UI then I don't have the ability to help you to see.

dertdog

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Damn, you hit the nailed it with your point. Ppl often hate things all microsoft just because. But the ones who do bash windows 8 don't like change and isn't open to anything new.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
[warn]If we can contribute only by calling people stubborn, close minded, brainless fad followers, or morons, then it's best not to contribute at all. It doesn't advance either side's argument and is basically worthless fluff. Let's keep such threads interesting.

I will be forced to close the thread if we can't keep things civil and acknowledge that there are good arguments to be made, both for AND against the modern UI.
[/warn]

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the classic control panel has what it always had. But the Modern UI (MUI) settings, via the Charms bar menu does not. A person using the MUI to adjust settings would find that not everything can be done via the MUI version of settings. That's what I'm talking about.

Using the scroll wheel on the mouse on the desktop scrolls in reverse to how it behaves in MUI apps. That's what I'm talking about.

That is fine if you are using your Windows 8 machine as an HTPC. But as a regular work machine, that is useful. As a software developer I'm not using a 42" TV to watch Netflix, but I do use a 26" monitor for debugging and trace logs. MUI editors don't "scale up" to use the larger screen effectively.

I didn't say it offended me, but go ahead and put words in my mouth anyways. It is not irrational to need a UI to handle higher resolutions. The problem with MUI is that it magnifies what is on the screen as the screen increases in resolution... Windows before Win8 would support more content.

If you fail to see that MUI is a different paradigm than the traditional Windows UI then I don't have the ability to help you to see.

Actually, using the scrollwheel works the same as it always does in vanilla 8; you must have a lenovo? Or some OEM modification to synaptics? That can be solved by installing a regular version of synaptics. If not, I don't know why your PC is doing that, but it's not default behavior.

The fallacy of the rest of your argument is it hinges on ModernUI being the best at everything, and if it doesn't do one specific thing well then it's terrible. Yes, you're right, I would not be using a MUI debug program, partially because one doesn't and couldn't ever exist, but also partially because yeah the current implementation of MUI isn't conducive to nitty-gritty work like that. I also wouldn't use a touch browser with mouse and keyboard.

It's called using the right tool for the job, and so far your argument reads, "I tried to use the wrong tools for a task and those tools sucked at that task". MUI brings a few tools to the table (though not many yet, as I elaborated on in an earlier post), and the desktop has all the tools it has always had. The desktop is not being phased out, MUI and desktop will be developed in parallel.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Ppl often hate things all microsoft just because.

That's true. It's also true that some people love all things Microsoft just because (it's Microsoft). I like the hammer analogy. However, it seems to me that some users are essentially saying that the claw side is the new way of driving nails, and we need to learn to love it and use it.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
View attachment 66760

That is what your position sounds like to me.

Even with a touch enabled laptop, if you are using primarily the mouse and keyboard, the metro side of the Windows hammer isn't necessarily for you. Luckily enough, if you don't like metro on the desktop, you have a million other non-metro options. Metro is awesome on tablets and smartphones however. Is it that hard to acknowledge that a UI can be good in one use-case but bad in another, and that it would make sense to use the right side of the tool for what you are trying to do? Damn those hammers...

..or maybe it's you refusing to understand. I need to have multiple windows on for work. I need two for dictionaries, one for a translating software, one browser + skype + else. In this perspective, what is cool on tablets and mobile phones becomes totally worthless for productivity.
While you are at hammers and stuff really hard to get, can you go back to my posts and tell me where i EVER blamed "phones" and "tablets" for having Windows 8? Windows 8 is exactly designed for those, ie devices that don't require multiwindow (or two windows at max). Apart from that, when you mention "phones" you're not talking about Windows 8 but about Windows Phone. And, did i mention i own a tablet? No i think. I said i have two computers, both on Win 8.1, with one (an Acer V7) with touchscreen. I have been supporting the OS since first day for its innovation, for the new functionalities for the smoothness etc.. However, trying to persuade people they are dumb because they simply acknowledge the fact the OS is not designed for multiwindow productivity with resizable windows etc. is madness for me. For your information, the fact windows are not resizable, take a lot of real estate and look good in some devices but perform awfully in bigger ones (what is the purpose of Skype taking half of a 30" display? What is the purpose of being unable to put 4 or 5 windows on a screen?) is one of the main reason why professionals are refusing to migrate to W 8.1 (Admittedly many are dumb and don't know you can go to desktop without even showing the modern UI).

Going back to hammers and stuff hard to understand, are you sure you understood what i meant?! You seem confused to me. Tablet, Phones and Laptops and Desktops are completely different devices. You know that don't you? I give you a clue: "we're not talking about how good the UI looks on small devices. We're talking about how productive that UI is in a multiwindow environment."

Now, in case of further confusion, worry not, i have the right OS for you :)

maxresdefault.jpg

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
..I need to have multiple windows on for work. I need two for dictionaries, one for a translating software, one browser + skype + else. In this perspective, what is cool on tablets and mobile phones becomes totally worthless for productivity.
Actually, you can do all that just as good and in many ways better with windows 8. I do graphic design, video editing, 3d modeling and more on four 30 inch monitors with windows 8, it's the best thing ever. You just simply need to learn how to use it.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Actually, you can do all that just as good and in many ways better with windows 8. I do graphic design, video editing, 3d modeling and more on four 30 inch monitors with windows 8, it's the best thing ever. You just simply need to learn how to use it.

The multiwindow function is very limiting. It's like working into cages. Do you understand what i mean? It's good on Tablets and small devices. Terrible when you have dozens of windows open overlapping and you work like that all day. Why the heck should i settle for a bunch of "preformed" windows when i can have the freedom to resize, overlap and move them around at will?
That is my point. Apart from that, some software are not supported in Modern/Metro (Trados, MemoQ, Catalyst, dictionaries, a variety of localization suites etc.). There is really no point for me to work in such a limited box. The OS is solid and stable. Never had one crash. It improved my work in so many ways. But that interface is limiting for my needs. I perceive those limitations as a "Birdcage" that makes you prisoner. That's how my brain sees it. Don't misunderstand me, i have tried to work in that for the sake of science (i do localize UIs too, together with industrial interfaces etc.); however it just doesn't suit. In 3D modeling you may need to use 1, 2 windows maybe. In localization you have constantly 6 or 7 windows open and exchange data with others in other places around the world, send screenshots etc. W8 UI just doesn't fit my needs. I am sure it fits those of other people very well. We have to simply acknowledge that while the old UI was good for everyone the new UI is unable to meet the needs of some users, while looking gorgeous on all devices (I agree it's gorgeous, i agree it's functional in small devices).
However, since i am eager to learn, you can tell me how you can take 6/8 windows open in modern UI and even overlap them or simply move them around the screen at will. Including software that is not designed for the UI like dictionaries etc.
Am i missing something? That's a real question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss