Why do people hate Windows 8.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
No you can't but for such cases as this, there is still desktop mode for such cases. Besides, there are no modern apps like that, so you have to rely on desktop programs. I managed to get 3 modern apps running side-by-side, one of those could be dekstop on which you could arrange programs even further.

3 modern apps:
View attachment 66823

2 modern + dekstop:
View attachment 66824

2 modern + desktop split further, you could split it even more, like you did already on your screenshot before.
View attachment 66825

No I don't use this feature often on my desktop because I have two screen, but I do snap 2 desktop windows on each screen, sometimes email (modern app) is one of them. You can use Windows 8 without even touching modern apps the same way you did before on 7, or you could take advantage of modern apps (pros for those: writing an app is simpler, distribution is much simpler (you submit it to the store, no need to set up your own servers), you can take advantage of Azure to sync settings across devices - all those things are built in the SDK and had to be taken care of by developer before, including the whole infrastructure behind it).
I don't use many modern apps except calendar and email, those I use regularly. Desktop isn't going anywhere, they are even further improving in the summer as stated by M$ on their Build in April, it will allow you to run modern apps in windowed mode and then it will be possible to arrange them in the way you want to (like in your screenshot).

A word of advice though, invest in a second screen if you multitask so much. You can get a decent 1080p for 150$ and it makes your life much easier.

Thank you Jan,

In a single post you answered a question someone else still now has issues to understand. It appeared strange to me that someone could use more than 2 windows at the same time. I had checked before, i had asked Microsoft and spent a considerable amount of time since first adoption to see what benefits the OS was offering.
Multitasking: I need to move laptops around. Some customers won't send their files online and want me to work at their premises. I only connect the laptops to the big screen at home. I work fine with an 18" too (Acer 8951G but with some extra pepper in it). I have been working like this for 14 years. It's all good, as long as Microsoft leaves the desktop option. I haven't seen the Modern UI in months on the bigger PC. May consider a big all in one with two screens at a later stage. Also depends on what translating software you use...some only show text and they fit in small windows; some are Wisywyg and show menus as they will be in their final view with text to change and those would deserve a bigger screen indeed.

PS I am Taiwan based. I get those much cheaper in any case. It's not a matter of costs. Rather space and real need.

Dragone

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Been a while since the 8.1 update and a surprising lot on the internet still seen to have it out for the OS. Which makes me wonder if I'm missing out on a lot with my choice of operating systems. I'm actually considering Mavericks and maybe Linux. Those of you who have had experience with these OS's, do share your thoughts.

As for me, I'm loving Widows 8.1 on the desktop (no touch) and haven't had any issues with it. Just wondering why there's so much hate towards it.

Some people don't like chocolate.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Oh well, especially MS chocolate

Put a Google before it and you'll have no problems

Why do people always assume that somebody who doesn't like one product of a company hates the entire company?

Why should anybody hate a company that produces tech products? That's what amazed me always the most, people having more emotions towards a company they have no personal connection to, than to many other things that are involved with daily on a personal level.

I love Office. I love Windows Phone. I love OneDrive. I love Windows without Metro. And I still don't like Metro on my desktop computer. And yes, I use the term Metro because everybody knows what I mean and it's the easiest thing to write. I know the term isn't used anymore by Microsoft, I even know why.

All of this is nothing personal, that's just a single product I think doesn't meet my requirements and Microsoft tried to force me to use with Windows 8. However they realized now that they can't do that, and they decided to bring back the Windows 7 feel many people appreciated. There was just no need to fix something that was already in a perfectly good shape.

My personal theory? They thought they can push Windows RT apps when they bring the Store to every computer out there. It didn't work, as these apps are optimized for small touch screens and not multiple big screens.

I think they hit the mark with making Metro optional now. For people who want to use it and think it's great, it's there. You can use it. For people like me who don't like it and don't need it, I don't have to anymore.

So why did I hate Windows 8 (that was the question if you remember)? Because Microsoft tried to force me to use something I didn't like. Why do I like Windows 8.1. more? Because most of it hast become optional and they reimplemented basic stuff like right click context menus.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Why do people always assume that somebody who doesn't like one product of a company hates the entire company?

Why should anybody hate a company that produces tech products? That's what amazed me always the most, people having more emotions towards a company they have no personal connection to, than to many other things that are involved with daily on a personal level.

I love Office. I love Windows Phone. I love OneDrive. I love Windows without Metro. And I still don't like Metro on my desktop computer. And yes, I use the term Metro because everybody knows what I mean and it's the easiest thing to write. I know the term isn't used anymore by Microsoft, I even know why.

All of this is nothing personal, that's just a single product I think doesn't meet my requirements and Microsoft tried to force me to use with Windows 8. However they realized now that they can't do that, and they decided to bring back the Windows 7 feel many people appreciated. There was just no need to fix something that was already in a perfectly good shape.

My personal theory? They thought they can push Windows RT apps when they bring the Store to every computer out there. It didn't work, as these apps are optimized for small touch screens and not multiple big screens.

I think they hit the mark with making Metro optional now. For people who want to use it and think it's great, it's there. You can use it. For people like me who don't like it and don't need it, I don't have to anymore.

So why did I hate Windows 8 (that was the question if you remember)? Because Microsoft tried to force me to use something I didn't like. Why do I like Windows 8.1. more? Because most of it hast become optional and they reimplemented basic stuff like right click context menus.

They obviously listened to feedback (to some point) and fixed some thing with 8.1 update. I don't care about metro, I could live without it just fine, but check out ubuntu, and you'll see they change something with every version, and they're released every 6 months, recently they forced you to use Unity even though some people might have been happy with Gnome 2. Now thats linux, so of course everyone can modify the system to unrecognizable state. My point is this, yes, W8 is different then previous versions of Windows. You can use it, but you don't have to, there's plenty alternatives like windows 7, various linux distributions, OSX... If you were always driving Audis and they changed something that you don't like, and if you kept insisting on Audi because 'you used to like it', then people would think you're crazy. Get another car, or keep your old one, chances are it still runs just fine. W8 performance wise is a great update over W7, plenty of things on desktop mode are improved, graph when copying files and task manager being (to me) most noticeable ones.
Microsoft didn't force you to use anything. The choice to buy a computer with W8 or to buy W8 and install it yourself was completely yours. It's like saying Samsung is forcing you to buy a new phone just because they released it. You don't have to get it, my dad still has a 2011 Xperia Ray and he's just fine with it. Life isn't only black or only white, it's mostly quite grey, almost never will you be able to find a product that you're 100% happy with, especially if you didn't make it yourself.

About your theory, yes, you're quite right, they're leaning towards One ecosystem, they said so themselves on Build, they want one app to run on phones, tablets, computers, xbox and embedded systems, and only way to achieve that is to make some sacrifices.

I also agree with your point on people being emotional about a brand, sadly this is becoming (it already is actually) a very big deal. Before it mattered which brand of clothes you wore, not it's way more important which brand of phone you have and which ecosystem you use. I see that mostly with apple users, at work they mostly hang out together and show off their iphones to each other. It's also like that with WP users, because there's less of them (us) and they're usually excited to see someone else is using the same platform. It's like belonging to the same church or sect. It's kinda sad. Stop fighting over which version of particular software is better and enjoy whichever one suits you the most.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I agree with most of your points. However I think you have to keep in mind that things are special with Windows.

My point is this, yes, W8 is different then previous versions of Windows. You can use it, but you don't have to, there's plenty alternatives like windows 7, various linux distributions, OSX... If you were always driving Audis and they changed something that you don't like, and if you kept insisting on Audi because 'you used to like it', then people would think you're crazy. Get another car, or keep your old one, chances are it still runs just fine. W8 performance wise is a great update over W7, plenty of things on desktop mode are improved, graph when copying files and task manager being (to me) most noticeable ones.
Microsoft didn't force you to use anything. The choice to buy a computer with W8 or to buy W8 and install it yourself was completely yours. It's like saying Samsung is forcing you to buy a new phone just because they released it. You don't have to get it, my dad still has a 2011 Xperia Ray and he's just fine with it. Life isn't only black or only white, it's mostly quite grey, almost never will you be able to find a product that you're 100% happy with, especially if you didn't make it yourself.

Of course I could use Linux (and I have it installed on my laptop), but most of the software I use is not available for it. That leaves Mac OS X or an older version of Windows. I don't want to change to Mac for multiple reasons. One thing is that I bought my software for Windows, another reason is that I like to play some games at home at times, still another reason is that they don't over a real desktop experience. They have either a laptop in a screen iMac or the Mac Pro.

Now for my new computer. It wasn't available with Windows 7. And I don't buy an extra copy of Windows 7 just because I don't like Metro, wipe everything and reinstall it. Yes, it's true that I upgraded my old computer (which I still use) to Windows 8 as soon as it was available, I wanted to see what it offers. I actually was looking forward to it. But I just didn't like it. But it also didn't annoy me enough to reinstall Windows 7. Upgrading is much easier than downgrading mind you.

Microsoft didn't force me to upgrade my old computer, but I wanted to because I believed the product could be great. I however didn't like it. The market forced me to buy a new Windows 8 computer, as they don't sell Windows 7 anymore, or only with outdated hardware.

So yes, Microsoft forced me to upgrade to Windows 8, just because of their sheer market strength and influence on hardware manufacturers.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
In my years at WPC I've never seen a thread spin so many wheels and run in so many circles as this one, and I've been in some doozy threads.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
In my years at WPC I've never seen a thread spin so many wheels and run in so many circles as this one, and I've been in some doozy threads.

To nobody's harm I hope. And the fact that you kept reading shows that there has at least some interesting stuff been said.

So, what's your opinion? ;-)

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I understand people have different preferences. I also understand people have different levels of sophistication and nuance. What I don't understand is how people can "hate" Windows 8 (the original title of the thread) when essentially it gives you the option to use it like Windows 7 or use it more like your Windows tablet or Windows Phone, all the while having a much smoother and quicker start-up with better security.

I would never expect everyone to voluntarily upgrade to Windows 8, but I still haven't read any compelling arguments about why Windows 8 is objectively worse than older versions of Windows. As a result, I chalk up most of the "hate" to laziness, fanboyism, stereotyping and groupthink.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I would never expect everyone to voluntarily upgrade to Windows 8, but I still haven't read any compelling arguments about why Windows 8 is objectively worse than older versions of Windows. As a result, I chalk up most of the "hate" to laziness, fanboyism, stereotyping and groupthink.

If two things are equally good, it's not laziness to stay with the first thing instead of having something that feels inconvenient. It's just the logical thing to do.

When I had an exchange Android phone I really disliked it in the beginning, but after a few hours of using it I really started to appreciate the advantages. I never thought of buying an iPhone, but when I recently bought an iPad - in the way I'm using it it just offers the most - I started really to like iOS. When I installed Ubuntu on my computer because it was required for some programming lectures I took, I felt instantly at home and was happy to explore the things that are different from Windows 7.

Such a thing never happened to me with Windows 8. I think I'm neither lazy, nor stereotyping, nor do I care about what other think about the tech I use (I think I would have bought an iPad long ago when that was the case, instead of sticking with Windows Phone waiting years and years until Microsoft provides an update that makes Windows Phone great in my opinion, speaking of 8.1), nor am I a ******. I don't even know what you mean with that. A Windows 7 ******? A Microsoft ******? An Apple ******? What exactly would such a ****** be fan of?

Sometimes it feels that you guys like Windows 8, but as the majority does not you have to defend your feelings and decisions at all costs.

Edit: And about my first sentence, Windows 8 was worse, much worse. It was terrible. Windows 8.1 is equally good.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes it feels that you guys like Windows 8, but as the majority does not you have to defend your feelings and decisions at all costs.
Edit: And about my first sentence, Windows 8 was worse, much worse. It was terrible. Windows 8.1 is equally good.
Actually 8 was good, 8.1 just made it even better. And actually the majority doesn't hate windows 8. they just have the impression that 8 isn't good because they hear the minority yelling and screaming that 8 isn't good. That's why i'm vocal about it, because it actually is good. I've personally known people who claimed 8 was horrible. When asked why, they have no answers. So I show them how it works, and they like it.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I understand people have different preferences. I also understand people have different levels of sophistication and nuance. What I don't understand is how people can "hate" Windows 8 (the original title of the thread) when essentially it gives you the option to use it like Windows 7 or use it more like your Windows tablet or Windows Phone, all the while having a much smoother and quicker start-up with better security.

That's because there is none. These people just want to hate, it's in their blood.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Actually 8 was good, 8.1 just made it even better. And actually the majority doesn't hate windows 8. they just have the impression that 8 isn't good because they hear the minority yelling and screaming that 8 isn't good. That's why i'm vocal about it, because it actually is good. I've personally known people who claimed 8 was horrible. When asked why, they have no answers. So I show them how it works, and they like it.

So, based on what are you saying this?

I could tell you about people who think they are the only ones that are right, and that all the others are wrong and think wrong. You're in a nice company with sects and dictators. All the other people assume that the majority is right, which is called democracy based on education and free opinion.

But if you think you're the chosen one, good for you, good for you.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
That's because there is none. These people just want to hate, it's in their blood.

I can give you tons of reasons why the user experience with Windows 8 was terrible.

Beginning from the context menu that would pop up on the bottom of the screen instead where the mouse is, to booting to the start menu, to mouse gestures that worked very badly on two screens.

I had to make a specific "turn of computer" icon, because waiting on the corner of my mainscreen until the side bar appears and then hitting through all the buttons to turn my computer off was just too tedious.

The settings menu was hidden, the real settings I mean, not the ones that changed the background of the lock screen.

It was disconnected, it was very bad to use, and it was annoying.

You guys liked it, you are either power users who know the right shortcut for every function on Windows, or you just didn't mind moving the mouse courser around the screen as if it were a game. Most people are no power users, they work with their computer, they don't learn shortcuts. Most people like to have a convenient solution.

All of the things I've mentioned were fixed in 8.1.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
If two things are equally good, it's not laziness to stay with the first thing instead of having something that feels inconvenient. It's just the logical thing to do.

When I had an exchange Android phone I really disliked it in the beginning, but after a few hours of using it I really started to appreciate the advantages. I never thought of buying an iPhone, but when I recently bought an iPad - in the way I'm using it it just offers the most - I started really to like iOS. When I installed Ubuntu on my computer because it was required for some programming lectures I took, I felt instantly at home and was happy to explore the things that are different from Windows 7.

Such a thing never happened to me with Windows 8. I think I'm neither lazy, nor stereotyping, nor do I care about what other think about the tech I use (I think I would have bought an iPad long ago when that was the case, instead of sticking with Windows Phone waiting years and years until Microsoft provides an update that makes Windows Phone great in my opinion, speaking of 8.1), nor am I a ******. I don't even know what you mean with that. A Windows 7 ******? A Microsoft ******? An Apple ******? What exactly would such a ****** be fan of?

I wasn't responding to your particular posts. You obviously have a more nuanced view of things. The original thread question was why do people "hate" Windows 8? You only hate something if it is a lot worse than the alternatives. I haven't seen any good arguments to "hate" Windows 8. Once again, my position is clear. If people don't want to upgrade because it doesn't provide them with additional benefit, then more power to them. However, I haven't read a single compelling argument, including yours, that evidences Windows 8 as an inferior OS and therefore subject to hate. The fanboys I'm talking about are actually "hateboys" because there are a ton of people running around that hate everything Microsoft, or everything Apple, and so on. I'm not including you in that group so no need to get frosted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo