Help, can't update to Windows 8.1, I don't want to lose support!

Chris Wayne2

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I have a Hp laptop (Envy 17, late 2012 model) and I've been unable to update to Windows 8.1 update 1, it always stops the installation at 45% and then it comes back to where it was. I was on the support chat the other day for about 4 hours and the guy couldn't help me (heck, he did everything I've already done). Any suggestions? I have a lot of games and apps installed and I don't want to lose all of that, plus I don't have an external HDD to store all my data (and I was saving for a Nokia Icon), suggestions? :/

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Can you tell us any more about your situation?

How much storage space do you have left?
Are you current on all your updates BEFORE 8.1?
How did you obtain 8.1? The Windows Store tile?
Do you get a specific error message?

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I recommend to do an install upgrade, mine was having issues to install. Then I install again 8.1 upgrade and I was successfully able to upgrade to update 1.

Chris Wayne2

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I recommend to do an install upgrade, mine was having issues to install. Then I install again 8.1 upgrade and I was successfully able to upgrade to update 1.

But I don't want to lose all my programs, apps, media and games as I don't have an external hard drive, do you think is the only way to go?

Chris Wayne2

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Can you tell us any more about your situation?

How much storage space do you have left?
Are you current on all your updates BEFORE 8.1?
How did you obtain 8.1? The Windows Store tile?
Do you get a specific error message?

Yes, I have like 190gb free (my hdd has 750gb), yes I downloaded and installed 8.1 from the store the first day it came out, in this webpage softpedia describes my exact problem: Windows 8.1 Update Still Failing to Install with Error Code 80073712

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Does your HP have any separate update mechanism?

I have a Sony VAIO that has a Sony updater. If I don't update using theirs, I can have problems because their hardware sometimes has specific issues that cause problems.

Maybe check to see if there is some sort of HP update software or app preinstalled on your computer.

Or have you seen this in the HP support forums? It looks like it could be driver issues.
HP ENVY 700-049 Won't Update to Windows 8.1 - 0xC1900101 - 0... - HP Support Forum - 3111417

Or maybe try disabling Secure Boot.
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/TouchS...ue-from-Windows-8-Pro-on-Envy-23/td-p/3037925

Last edited:

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
But I don't want to lose all my programs, apps, media and games as I don't have an external hard drive, do you think is the only way to go?
You will not lose anything, it's just a re-install like an upgrade of Windows 8.1... Your programs and games will stay there. I did it and I didn't lose anything.

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem on my older HP laptop. I'm on 8.0 and the store tells me to update to 8.1, but it gets almost finished then reloads the original 8.0. Frustrating as I'm 2 updates behind now and there doesn't seem to be a way to do the update. Still hoping for a magic bullet here some day.

Chris Wayne2

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Use the ISO or DVD of Windows and click on the setup.exe and install Windows. It will ask you if you want to upgrade and keep your files... Click on yes.

Mmm 😐
I don't have a Win8 dvd, I purchased it and downloaded it from Microsoft, is not a clean w8 install, the day after I bought my envy (that came with w7) I upgraded.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Mmm ��
I don't have a Win8 dvd, I purchased it and downloaded it from Microsoft, is not a clean w8 install, the day after I bought my envy (that came with w7) I upgraded.

You could try doing a refresh. Click the first option which should do a general reset on your PC without affecting your files. You can find the refresh option in the same general area where the updates are.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Helping someone else, I ran across this bit of information and remembered this thread. Try the following:

•Run CMD as administrator (Go to start screen, all apps, search CMD, right-click and select run as administrator)
•Enter: dism /online /remove-package /packagename:package_for_KB2919355~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.3.1.14
•When step 2 has completed, enter: dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup
•Retry the update!

Chris Wayne2

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Helping someone else, I ran across this bit of information and remembered this thread. Try the following:

•Run CMD as administrator (Go to start screen, all apps, search CMD, right-click and select run as administrator)
•Enter: dism /online /remove-package /packagename:package_for_KB2919355~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.3.1.14
•When step 2 has completed, enter: dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup
•Retry the update!

Thanks, I'll try this and tell you whether it worked or not

Chris Wayne2

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site

•Retry the update!

Didn't work :(

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Then your only option is to try a "refresh" (keep you files, settings). And if that doesn't work, reset (delete all). Sorry.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire