07-08-2014 10:17 AM
29 12
tools
    HP, Lenovo, Toshiba or Asus is what I've got to choose from. It's gotta last around 4 years for my uni work.

Thanks
    06-10-2014 02:33 AM
    Laptops - Readers' Choice Awards 2013: Laptops and Desktops | PCMag.com

A quick Google search later, I have to say: Apple of course. ;-)
    06-10-2014 02:39 AM
    Laptops - Readers' Choice Awards 2013: Laptops and Desktops | PCMag.com

A quick Google search later, I have to say: Apple of course. ;-)
    Asus then
    06-10-2014 02:41 AM
    Dell,Asus,hp are the top contendor for lappys in India.
    06-10-2014 02:45 AM
    HP, Lenovo, Toshiba or Asus is what I've got to choose from. It's gotta last around 4 years for my uni work.

Thanks
    The only one on that list that will last 4 years and run great is Lenovo. Asus is the epitome of throw away technology. Toshiba long ago was known for quality but nowadays makes poor quality laptops. Hp is pretty but don't recomed them at all. Not a fanboy its just that Lenovo is the only one on the list known for great laptops and quality.
    06-10-2014 02:45 AM
    If you want it to last 4 years or more than make sure to select an i5 with atleast 8gb of memory.
    06-10-2014 02:47 AM
    Asus then
    The scale of the link I've provided is of course a little misleading. All of the brands are not that bad, but the scale ends at 7.5 which makes the Apple bar almost twice as long while only being 0.7 higher.

If I remember correctly Asus had also very good reviews in the last few months.
    06-10-2014 02:48 AM
    The only one on that list that will last 4 years and run great is Lenovo. Asus is the epitome of throw away technology. Toshiba long ago was known for quality but nowadays makes poor quality laptops. Hp is pretty but don't recomed them at all. Not a fanboy its just that Lenovo is the only one on the list known for great laptops and quality.
    Based on your personal opinion?

But I agree that Lenovo has a very good reputation.
    06-10-2014 02:49 AM
    Can someone comment on this Lenovo G700 Intel® Core„ i3 Processor, 8Gb RAM, 1Tb Hard Drive, Wi-Fi, 17.3 inch Laptop - Black | littlewoods.com

Will it last a few years at least?

I know it's Littlewoods and overpriced but I can't afford to pay for a laptop straight up.
    06-10-2014 02:57 AM
    Based on your personal opinion?

But I agree that Lenovo has a very good reputation.
    Personal experience but also my friend works on computers and laptops constantly and sees which ones break the most, which are designed well and designed to be easily fixed if needed, and the quality of the components they use.
    06-10-2014 03:25 AM
    Can someone comment on this Lenovo G700 Intel® Core„ i3 Processor, 8Gb RAM, 1Tb Hard Drive, Wi-Fi, 17.3 inch Laptop - Black | littlewoods.com

Will it last a few years at least?

I know it's Littlewoods and overpriced but I can't afford to pay for a laptop straight up.
    thats a nice one but i found an i7 g510 at the same price it will be more future proof according to me still decision is yours :)
    the g700 have 17.3inch screen and g510 has 15.6inch and moreover g510 is 30 less
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-G510-...pUvbUpU2583027
    06-10-2014 03:32 AM
    Bought the 17 inch Lenovo. 15 is just too small, that's what I'm sitting on right now and it's crud. When it gets too old I could accidentally spill my drink on it break it and claim on my home insurance.
    06-10-2014 03:51 AM
    I will go with HP, I have one since 2009 and I didn't have a single issue with it.
    06-10-2014 04:04 AM
    Surface!
    06-10-2014 04:11 AM
    I have Toshiba for 4 years and its awesome :)))
    06-10-2014 04:12 AM
    Go with Dell if possible. They're really popular in the business industry, same with HP and IBM (now Lenovo). Really sturdy and offers a variety of computer lines from consumer to business, even gaming. I've had previous experiences with Asus and Acer being all too plasticky and fake quality (especially the screen, ugh so terrible), but I guess that's just me.
    06-10-2014 04:13 AM
    I don't know if there's that much difference between the brands, but the better ones will be "business" laptops. They are generally built with better components like metal vs. plastic and more durable. For Dell, the Latitude is business vs the Inspiron for home use. HP and I think Lenovo have business laptops too. I have a Dell Latitude a few years old and it's a tank and still about the fastest computer, laptop or desktop, in my business. Of course it helps that it has a high-end processor and SSD drive.
    06-10-2014 05:44 AM
    I would say Lenovo or Asus. I've had a gaming laptop from Asus before. They do have some a bit lower spectrum devices too, but their top end devices are generally speaking quite good. Lenovo in general seems to enjoy a good reputation, but I guess they'd be a bit more work/business oriented laptops.
    Editguy1900 likes this.
    06-10-2014 05:50 AM
    Asus makes really nice laptops. Lenovo too.

I've been told to stay away from HP. Build quality is pretty alright with my 3 year old Compaq. Except for the cheap paint. That coat wear off less than a year after I bought it. Sucks but whatever.
    Editguy1900 likes this.
    06-10-2014 06:24 AM
    I went with the Lenovo. Would have been nice to have i5 or i7 but will gave to go with i3 for now. Hell, my 350 Advent Roma 1000 has done me for the last 5 years and it's a cheapo nasty PC World brand. It still works as long as you keep it plugged in.
    JamesPTao likes this.
    06-10-2014 09:35 AM
    I went with the Lenovo. Would have been nice to have i5 or i7 but will gave to go with i3 for now. Hell, my 350 Advent Roma 1000 has done me for the last 5 years and it's a cheapo nasty PC World brand. It still works as long as you keep it plugged in.
    If you want to add a ssd later it will make a big difference. Hope you like it. A little battery care advice. Modern battery like to be drained down to 30% then charged back up. You can drain it lower but the main thing is to not drain it dead and if you do drain it real low immediately charge it back up. Leaving a laptop battery dead for any length of time will utterly destroy the battery quick.
    06-10-2014 04:31 PM
    If you want to add a ssd later it will make a big difference. Hope you like it. A little battery care advice. Modern battery like to be drained down to 30% then charged back up. You can drain it lower but the main thing is to not drain it dead and if you do drain it real low immediately charge it back up. Leaving a laptop battery dead for any length of time will utterly destroy the battery quick.
    I have an SSD in my Advent laptop, after my silly GF dropped it and killed the hard drive.
    06-11-2014 01:50 AM
    I've had great service from Asus laptops. I have one now that is eight years old and has been upgraded to Windows 8.1. It was used every day for four years to edit video.
    06-11-2014 12:40 PM
    No laptop is better... I've taken apart and rebuilt plenty laptops... Not even Apple is better... If you open any laptop you will find the same cheap parts from the same cheap brands. No laptop manufacture actually makes the internal parts of their laptops. They're all full of AMD, Intel, Fiji, Fujitsu, gigabyte, Samsung etc parts. The best laptop is either the one you make yourself or the one you take care of best. Unlike desktops there is little choice in laptop internal parts. You want a good laptop, buy a dead one and build it the way your want our buy any laptop and take care of it. Otherwise don't think any brand is doing anything special.
    06-11-2014 01:04 PM
    lenovo or toshiba! without a question.
    06-11-2014 01:10 PM
29 12