Don't know if this tip has been discussed before, so I decided to show what I stumbled on.

I noticed that when closing Modern Apps using the X button at the top right corner of the screen or swiping the app from the top to bottom in Windows 8.1 Update 1, in the Task Manager you will see the App stays in memory (which I think is by design).

To remove the app from memory, quite easy --> open Task Manager, right click the App and click End Task to remove

But...... there is another way ..... an easier way....

If you swipe the app from top to bottom of the screen but just hold it for about 3-4 seconds at the bottom of the screen, do not lift your finger, you will notice the App flips under you finger, then continue to swipe down to remove from memory completely. That's it. Saves you going to Task Manager to close dormant apps.

Hooroo
    06-21-2014 03:54 AM
    I prefer Alt+F4 personally. In all honesty though, the X button is just fine. Memory usage goes all the way down after a while to the point where it is negligible. It allows for faster resume if you open the app again.
    06-21-2014 04:45 AM
    Damn didn't notice that before, thanks for the tip!
    06-21-2014 04:51 AM
    You don't really /need/ to do this, though. Windows manages your memory according to your needs.

And yes, as gedzum said, there is an alternate (and quicker) way to those with a keyboard. Alt+F4.
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-21-2014 05:33 AM
    Moved to Windows 8 forum, since this is not related to photography.
    xandros9 likes this.
    07-01-2014 03:16 PM